Hasegawa vs Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14: Which is better?

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been on the modeling workbench, and even longer since the last time I was here, so I've been relatively disconnected from the modeling world. I have been busy though with other building projects, particularly movie props. I'm currently working on a fiberglass Iron Man suit and a Dark Knight Batman cowl.

Anyway, enough small talk, back to business. For a long time now, it was a personal goal for me to build a 1/48 F-14D. I've already done an Academy and Revell kits, but for this project I was really planning to invest in one of the higher quality models, namely Hasegawa. Recently however, there's a new player in the quarter scale Tomcat game, and that is of course the Hobby Boss model.

So I was wondering what your personal takes on these models are. Is the Hasegawa model still better or has the Hobby Boss kit pried it off it's title of top cat? First time I saw the HB kit, my jaw just dropped. It is absolutely stunning. However I've heard that the details are overdone, and some outlines errors exist around the intake area.The clincher is price though. Although I'm going to invest in this project, I still want to get my money's worth. The real question is, are the extra details of the HB kit worth over $10+ more than the Hasegawa kit, or is it money wasted on something that the Hasegawa kit has already done? And overall, what kit do you guys think is the best? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks! ;)/>

Edited by Jason Amigo

Jason,

I asked the same question awhile ago and it was split pretty much down the middle. I've got both (unbuilt admittedly) and just from my personal in box review, Hobby Boss is the winner. Lots more detail (especially the cockpit area), packaging is awesome and it looks to be a (slightly) easier build than the Hasegawa. Having said that, I actually haven't built either so time will tell.

Is it worth the extra dosh? I think so.

I think the safe money is on the Hasegawa kit. The issues around HB's intake design alone should clinch it. There is a lot of detail going on in the latter, but it's up to the buyer -all the gun bay innards, radar and IFR bits in the world won't get you a 'correct' model; a few extra extra notes will get you a 'more correct' one!

In terms of shape, the Hasegawa one is the champion. But you'll need to invest in a cockpit set for the square PTID screen (assuming you're building a later Tomcat), a new set of GE nozzles to replace the featureless ones in the kit and, as with a lot of Hasegawa kits, get a weapon set or 2 (or from your spare parts bin, if you have them). Oh and there are no bomb racks included in most of the boxings of this kit.

Best is to go take a look at some of the completed builds of the HB kit and see if the intake shape bothers you or not. If it doesn't, then the HB kit is pretty much value for money.

Mark

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been on the modeling workbench, and even longer since the last time I was here, so I've been relatively disconnected from the modeling world. I have been busy though with other building projects, particularly movie props. I'm currently working on a fiberglass Iron Man suit and a Dark Knight Batman cowl.

Anyway, enough small talk, back to business. For a long time now, it was a personal goal for me to build a 1/48 F-14D. I've already done an Academy and Revell kits, but for this project I was really planning to invest in one of the higher quality models, namely Hasegawa. Recently however, there's a new player in the quarter scale Tomcat game, and that is of course the Hobby Boss model.

So I was wondering what your personal takes on these models are. Is the Hasegawa model still better or has the Hobby Boss kit pried it off it's title of top cat? First time I saw the HB kit, my jaw just dropped. It is absolutely stunning. However I've heard that the details are overdone, and some outlines errors exist around the intake area.The clincher is price though. Although I'm going to invest in this project, I still want to get my money's worth. The real question is, are the extra details of the HB kit worth over $10+ more than the Hasegawa kit, or is it money wasted on something that the Hasegawa kit has already done? And overall, what kit do you guys think is the best? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks! ;)/>/>

Both have their good points, but I'd call it 60/40 in favor of Hasegawa.

Mark

Depends on what you consider is important. What I have gleaned so far:

Shape accuracy -> Hase

Want weapons -> HB.

Surface detail (though quite exaggerated and inaccurate at places) -> HB

Good part fit & minimal putty -> HB

Engine detail, open avionic bays -> HB

Better cockpit OOB -> HB

Price -> Depends on available deals, whether you want after market stuff etc., so a toss up.

Relatively quick build -> HB

That said, if you are a hard core Tomcat guy, you might find HB a little 'toyish'.

I have both kits. I had started the HB Tomcat, but hated the engine exhausts (deep seamline running down the pipes). Also, the rivets did not look right at all (though should not be difficult to eradicate them).

So my plan is to use Hase as the base kit, and use all the extra stuff that comes in the HB kit (weapons, PE, etc.).

I think I read somewhere on a previous Hobby Boss vs. Hasegawa discussion that if you wish to model the plane in flight go with HB but if you wish to show the plane with all the flaps and slats and gear displayed than go with Hasegawa.

Can't say personally as I've not built a HB F-14 yet. But that idea led me to buy a Has because I want to show it with everything open.

Good luck.

I think the safe money is on the Hasegawa kit. The issues around HB's intake design alone should clinch it. There is a lot of detail going on in the latter, but it's up to the buyer -all the gun bay innards, radar and IFR bits in the world won't get you a 'correct' model; a few extra extra notes will get you a 'more correct' one!

The intakes kill it for me on the HB kit, I wouldn't waste my time on goofing around with the intake to try and make it look presentable, it's just too big of an eye sore and a prominent feature of the F-14.

Also if you want all the access panels closed you'll have to contend with getting those glued in correctly (and they say Hasegawa is over engineered).

We had an open raffle at our Club meeting and the HB tomcat went back to the Club stash, no one chose it.

Curt

I'd say the HB kit offers as much detail with everything 'hanging out' as the Hasegawa kit. The slats are well detailed, the flaps are great and positive. There is also a better detailed arrestor hook and mech (though like the Hase kit the hook is just a little too long - easy fix though). The gear bays, especially the main bays, are a more positive fit than the Hase kit and there is a plethora of detail on the gear legs which is nice.

Another factor to consider is how much time do you want to spend on the model. I would say that while Hasegawa has the potential for being a more accurate model in many ways, the path to finishing it is not easy and can easily fatigue a modeler due to how it is designed. Its fuselage layout which offers options for multiple variants can really make you add some creative cuss words to your vocabulary.

Most modelers I know who have gotten success with the Hasegawa kit have slogged through the first one and had an easier go the second and third times through because they knew all the pitfalls. Also, to me an aftermarket cockpit is a very good investment for the Hasegawa kit given how thick the instrument panels are. I managed to work with my kit's cockpit, but I had to use some sheet styrene in spots to literally cover up some rather nasty looking open areas.

By comparison, the HB kit does seem to be an easier build if you want to get a fair amount of work done in short order. As for the intakes... that is down to personal choice. Most every HB kit I've seen built though looks like a Tomcat from the topside where it will be seen most of the time.

Thanks for all the input guys! It's been really helpful. To be honest I'm still a bit torn..haha. Time really isn't an issue with me, I take my time on EVERY kit I build. I got an Academy F-15E for my 16th birthday and 4 years later it's still on the workbench. :))I will finish it, I promise you guys that.

By the looks of it, you guys have pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the pro's and cons of both kits. I do plan to build the kit out of the box, so aftermarket sets are pretty much out of the question (I might as well buy a new plane with the money spent on aftermarket sets :P). One big plus for the HB kit is the fact that it comes with markings for the exact jet I want to build (the Black Lions jet).

Oh and a bit of a sidenote: The two other F-14's I've built had all their access panels and cockpit closed. I never liked building any aircraft with the panels open, but I may consider keeping the access panels and cockpit open for this kit. Just curious too about your personal preferences, open of closed?

Tell you what, Jason: I'd turn the car around and let your display preference decide for you. By any account I've read, the HB kit panels can be assembled closed with a bit of work, whereas Hasegawa's require...none!

Also, I'll declare my position: the only 1/48 Tomcat I have in the locker is the HB F-14B. (An eBay bargain; I'm sort of waiting out the aftermarket guys for an intake correction package...hello? HELLO? Anyone out there??!)

If you'd like to open the thing up to show all the naughty bits, the box is rammed with stuff for just that -have a look at the parts shots/instructions here, you'll get the idea! Since you have an engine fit included, you could even open the daily/weekly doors to show that off too, albeit with a few bits of lead wire or whatnot added to replicate the spaghetti explosion of the real thing. If you button all that up, its a bit of a waste... :woot.gif:

I'm not a fan of open panels (on my own builds) so I built mine with the panels closed - it's not a problem at all. The slats did require a bit of trimming to fit closed, nothing arduous though.

Be sure to post up your progress/build!

:)

So I was wondering what your personal takes on these models are. Is the Hasegawa model still better or has the Hobby Boss kit pried it off it's title of top cat?

The Hase kit is a bit difficult in building process (the pieces do not fit together very well) but its shape is very accurate (especially in capturing that particular "pear-shaped" fwd fuselage and the undersquare of the canopy) and I think it's still the best kit of the F-14 in all scales. So concerning this point (general shapes) I say Hasegawa.

Oh and a bit of a sidenote: The two other F-14's I've built had all their access panels and cockpit closed. I never liked building any aircraft with the panels open, but I may consider keeping the access panels and cockpit open for this kit. Just curious too about your personal preferences, open of closed?

The F-14 has a very spacious interior with beautiful seats, so I prefer it to remain in view with the canopy opened up. Again, I prefer several opened panels, too (they give a sense of movement to the whole aircraft). So concerning this point (access panels) maybe the HB kit is the best way to go.

My two cents.

cheers.

Edited by Alpagueur

Hi,

Depends by what you want to do with your kit.

1) If you ever plan to actually build your new 1/48 Tomcat the Hasegawa is your pick.

2) If you instead just want to add another kit to your stash go Hobby Boss.

Happy modelling.

Edited by galfa

Hi,

Depends by what you want to do with your kit.

1) If you ever plan to actually build your new 1/48 Tomcat the Hasegawa is your pick.

2) If you instead just want to add another kit to your stash go Hobby Boss.

Happy modelling.

Have you made one or have you just read the forums? I'm interested in why you make the statement you do. I'm always interested to hear people's thoughts if they have built both.

Edited by Parabat

I would say that while Hasegawa has the potential for being a more accurate model in many ways, the path to finishing it is not easy and can easily fatigue a modeler due to how it is designed. Its fuselage layout which offers options for multiple variants can really make you add some creative cuss words to your vocabulary.

Most modelers I know who have gotten success with the Hasegawa kit have slogged through the first one and had an easier go the second and third times through because they knew all the pitfalls. Also, to me an aftermarket cockpit is a very good investment for the Hasegawa kit given how thick the instrument panels are. I managed to work with my kit's cockpit, but I had to use some sheet styrene in spots to literally cover up some rather nasty looking open areas.

Jay, I am about 95% through my "first time around" build of the 1/72 version kit and I have to say your comments are dead on. I learned many things about the specific engineering of this kit that I will apply to my next build of it. There are many unknowns that you have to compensate for after the fact. I often said to myself, "Well, if I had known it was going to do THAT, I would have taken a different approach. I have managed to fix most of the issues, but you can only do so much after the fact, and overall I would consider the effort subpar to what I would usually produce, in spite of putting in twice as much effort.

That is okay. I will nail it next time.

I have build the Hobbyboss F-14D and it turned out great. It is a much better model than the HAS one. I have not build HAS one but had opportunity to take a look side by side when both kits were unfinished. Make no mistakes HB one is the better model. Only place where HAS is better is the intake lower lip and that is it.