Incoming 1/48 Mirage III/5 kit

Hello,

I'm a modeller that seeks accuracy in model kits yet I understand that designing and producing a kit requires making some compromises from the manufacturer. Some friends and I try to help manufacturers ensuring that the compromises are "acceptable" by reviewing the CAD models before tooling phase has started. Some inaccuracies are likely to remain (some aspects of the aircraft may have been overlooked, bugs may have been found too late or the manufacturer doesn't consider the bug to be worth fixing) yet we believe that the model can only be better than if no debugging had been done. The manufacturer in question here is Kinetic.

Several manufacturers have announced that they were working on 1/48 Mirage III/5 kits: MustHave!, Pilot Replicas, HPM Hobbies, Antarki Model Kits. Among these kits, the HPM Mirage IIIO/E should be the first to come out. Or perhaps not. The fact is that Kinetic is also working on 1/48 Mirage III/5 kits but they just didn't talk about it. Here's the status...

01hr.jpg

xovk.jpg

dlja.jpg

w5ja.jpg

The fin breakdown is surprising to say the least. It's a compromise to avoid making a whole new fin for each version and having small antennas parts that would get lost or wouldn't fit too well. Kinetic will ensure that the fit of the top fin part will be good.

Edited by ModelPeek

It sounds logic to me to work on a Mirage III/5 because the released the Kfir already. I know, a Kfir is different, but still shares some characters.

I hope they do not forget the canards like the late swiss Mirage III had!?

When the kit will be on the level like their Kfirs, welcome!

(Hmm...and some hope for a Wingman edition coming up!)

Hello

According to what I heard, the release date of this/ these kit(s) is presently. To address one of the Kinetic Kfir mistakes, the intakes on the Mirages should have been corrected.

If the quality of this kit will be in the same league, like Kinetic´s latest offerings, I will follow a slogan mostly used by British modellers: "Go and buy a dozen!"

Greetings

Christian

I am quite surprised, once Raymond himself often come here, submit his new releases. But this is certainly an excellent news that caught all of us in shock. :o :thumbsup:

Edited by FCM

Looks good, but for me a big disappointment is that one of the biggest users of the mirage 5 cannot be built (from what i am seeing here) the belgian 5BA!!!!! Grrrrrr come on i am tired of always scrathing and resin work. Rapport II , pitot on the nose tip, tail hook and chaf/flare dispenser and some other thingies thats all we need to make this cold war icon

Edited by 31Tiger

Looks good, but for me a big disappointment is that one of the biggest users of the mirage 5 cannot be built (from what i am seeing here) the belgian 5BA!!!!! Grrrrrr come on i am tired of always scrathing and resin work. Rapport II , pitot on the nose tip, tail hook and chaf/flare dispenser and some other thingies thats all we need to make this cold war icon

The Mirage 5 nose shown on the pictures looks like one for the French -5F version. A couple of weeks ago, I talked with PJ from Belgium. He is working together with High Planes Models from Australia on a Mirage series in 1:48 as well and the first test shot should be finished soon. Since PJ is a Belgian maufacturer, a BAF Mirage 5BA is a presumable option, as he did in 1:72 before. Hopefully, Mirage BR and -BD are likely candidates too.

Everyone who's seen the Kinetic Kfir have most likely suspected that a full Mirage IIIe/V family was in the making, so this is really good news :)

As to whether this or that Version will be marketed and in what boxing - now that is still open to speculation. Hence everyone shoud bear this in mind before passing judgement either way.

Looks good, but for me a big disappointment is that one of the biggest users of the mirage 5 cannot be built (from what i am seeing here) the belgian 5BA!!!!!

The "Belgian nose" option has been asked customer side (my friends and I) but nothing has been made at this time. Perhaps something will be done in the future but I guess that Kinetic will want to wait for feedback on the first release.

Hoping the High Planes Mirage is the Bees Knees myself.

The CAD looks nice indeed yet some features may not be addressed: separate airbrakes and ailevons. The pictures also suggest that no intake trunking will be provided. We'll know for sure soon enough what options will be included in the HPM kit I guess. I'm sure that the HPM and Kinetic kits will each have their pros and cons.

Edited by ModelPeek

The "Belgian nose" option has been asked customer side (my friends and I) but nothing has been made at this time. Perhaps something will be done in the future but I guess that Kinetic will want to wait for feedback on the first release.

Its not just the nose, thats the easy part. 5B's had a different "keel" with a tail hook. From the early eighties they also had a different shape at the base of the fin. If they don't include that it also means no chilean Elkan either. It are just some small parts to include. It would just be a shame that you can built the rather anonymous 5F and some other versions built in very small numbers and not one off the biggest users of the mirage 5.

Edited by 31Tiger

Whatever tanks or noses...we should be happy to get a new Mirage family from new molds! Important to me that itself is accurate AND has good fit and detail! When we get that the AM guys will jump and gives us PE, resin, decals...it's like an unspoken rule: once a new kit hit the shelfs Mister Eduard, Aires, Caracal, ... will be busy!

Hmm...so what to do with my ESCI/Italeri Mirage III/5 in my stash? Ahh...keeping the decals, and there are underwingtanks ;-)

Please, please, please, (did I say please?) include a JL-100 fuel tank/rocket pod combination to the available stores. I'm in desperate need of a SAAF EZ over the African bush!

A JL-100 has been designed.

Its not just the nose, thats the easy part. 5B's had a different "keel" with a tail hook. From the early eighties they also had a different shape at the base of the fin. If they don't include that it also means no chilean Elkan either. It are just some small parts to include.

I know and I understand your point yet I guess that Kinetic cannot cover all the versions (Mirage 50s, Cheetah, twin-seaters, etc) all at once. Kinetic has got to start somewhere.

It would just be a shame that you can built the rather anonymous 5F and some other versions built in very small numbers and not one off the biggest users of the mirage 5.

The intent is to offer a Nesher or Dagger I believe.

Edited by ModelPeek

I agree that Kinetic must start somewhere, but two features I liked about the Kinetic Kfir (there are more, but this will do) is the way the intake is broken down to include the lip and the fact that it includes trunking. The breakdown of parts is very puzzling considering Kinetic are "halfway there" to a Mirage given their Kfir C1 - they ought to be able to recycle a fair amount of their CAD data and electrodes for the tooling, yet this looks like a completely new kit... Either way, I am pleased to see the Mirage IIIE/V/50 series gets the attention it deserves from the kit manufacturers.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

ModelPeek, the wing speed brakes for the Mirage family are the same that we already find on Kinetic's Kfir? Once yes, I need to make an update for my Mirage decals.

i'm rather please to read that Kinetic will be doing Mirage IIIE family/derivatives! ...this mean that it will finally really happen... in a foreseeable future!

and the fact that it seems they don't plan doing the Belgian version doesn't bothers me at all, as i'm won't be doing any belgian bird in my life... but i'm eager to build French Air Force Mirage IIIE, IIIR and 5F!