Weird Aircraft Designs and Concepts

vanguard_2c_04.jpg

Vanguard Omniplane - Circa 1962

west_wg33.jpg

Westland WG.33, 2 seat light reconnaissance helicopter- 1977

m15-3.jpg

The M-15 Belphegor, the world's only jet powered biplane. Made in Poland for the Soviet Union's agricultural sector

Aviafiber_Canard-2FL.jpg

Aviafiber Canard 2FL

Ia34.jpg

I.Ae. 34 Clen Antú, 1949

OK......

Antonov An-181 - experimental channel wing aircraft that never flew

day03_047.jpg

Soviet 'Discoplan' experimental glider....

day05_026.jpg

Model of a Beriev Be-112 at Gelendzhik....

day_01_064.jpg

... and a scale model of it being tested......

day_01_160.jpg

day_01_162.jpg

... and Be-2500 ekranoplan....

day_01_067.jpg

Model of a lift-fan design.......

day_01_069.jpg

'Fanstream' - based on the Su-34......

day04_019.jpg

.... this image has a rocket engine !!

day04_020.jpg

Ken

When I was a kid I got the Aurora AH-56 kit from the "Model of the Month" club (my parents got me a membership for a couple of years..first they were Aurora kits, then switched over to Monogram.) I hack the tail boom and rotors off the Cheyenne, gave it a fanciful paint job, and called it a "space fighter." If I'd only known what the kit would be worth now.....

SN

thedefender_zpsb56ff416.jpg

The Diemert Defender, a Canadian designed "plane" to take the place of the horrifically expensive and totally useless F-18 we were going to buy in the early 80s. For some odd reason, the government refused to take it very seriously...

Alvis 3.1

xch62-2.jpg

For some REALLY strange reason when I look at this picture it reminds me of a lady hiking up her skirt...

...I will seek professional help tomorrow :wacko:...

HandleyPageHP115mid60s.jpg

B2636P%20HP115%20neg%20crop.jpg

tumblr_nax98xYoX91qzsgg9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nax98xYoX91qzsgg9o2_500.jpg

Handley Page HP115

Yes, that's Neil Armstrong in the cockpit in 1971. As an experienced test pilot, Armstrong readily accepted the invitation to fly something unusual, one of RAE’s unique research aircraft, the Handley Page HP115. This was used to investigate the low-speed flying qualities of highly-swept “slender delta” wings suitable for Concorde. As his introduction to flying the single-seat HP115 aircraft at Bedford on 24 June 1971, Armstrong was briefed by RAE test pilot Ron Ledwidge and then, in effect, was handed the keys and told to go. That’s what test pilots do. He came back safely, all smiles after a brief flight. The HP115 is now at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton

thedefender_zpsb56ff416.jpg

The Diemert Defender, a Canadian designed "plane" to take the place of the horrifically expensive and totally useless F-18 we were going to buy in the early 80s. For some odd reason, the government refused to take it very seriously...

Alvis 3.1

I've seen the "documentary" on the Defender. It's interesting that he spends a large amount of time trying to design a radical new airfoil, but then the prototype is rolled out he obviously swiped the wings off a Cessna 172.

SN