1/48 Su-9 Fishpot from Trumpeter

Just my humble opinion but what a strange choice for a subject. I can think of many more cold war era jets (Russian and Western) that would be better subjects, both from a general interest and sales standpoint.

If anything, I'd rather have seen an Su-7 or even better, new tool Su-17/22/24 series.

Just my humble opinion but what a strange choice for a subject. I can think of many more cold war era jets (Russian and Western) that would be better subjects, both from a general interest and sales standpoint.

If anything, I'd rather have seen an Su-7 or even better, new tool Su-17/22/24 series.

But you can already build a 1/48 Su-7 or Su-17 or Su-22 or Su-24 out of the box, and the kits are not horrible. I bet Trump, would not make those kits obsolete judging by their previous kits.

It's almost like wanting more 1/48 F-16 kits.

Just my humble opinion but what a strange choice for a subject... If anything, I'd rather have seen an Su-7 or even better, new tool Su-17/22/24 series.

It is what they were provided references for. Have you read this?

But you can already build a 1/48 Su-7 or Su-17 or Su-22 or Su-24 out of the box, and the kits are not horrible. I bet Trump, would not make those kits obsolete judging by their previous kits.

It's almost like wanting more 1/48 F-16 kits.

They don't seem to have a rhyme or reason other than it is what their fans have provided to them in the form of photographs and measurements. Sadly, some of these fans may not properly label the subject of their images so variants get mixed up since I don't think Trumpeter's R&D team (who also provide for Hobby Boss) do little, if any, research on their own.

I have the KP (ex-OEZ molds) Su-7 & Su-22 but am sure Trumpeter can do better if they use what was given to them.

Regards,

Looks right to me: :woot.gif:/>

Had it not been that someone posted a Viggen-camouflaged F-35 in a Facebook group I am following yesterday I´d be very upset, but now I am hardened.. But I can´t see why SwAF would ever had to use a Suchoi when we had our own aircraft :-)

Shape wise I can´t see how Trumpeter could get it wrong this time. The shape is just a cylinder with some wings stuck on..

Had it not been that someone posted a Viggen-camouflaged F-35 in a Facebook group I am following yesterday I´d be very upset, but now I am hardened.. But I can´t see why SwAF would ever had to use a Suchoi when we had our own aircraft :-)

Shape wise I can´t see how Trumpeter could get it wrong this time. The shape is just a cylinder with some wings stuck on..

Target practice.... if it didn't run out of fuel first :P

There are subtle curves in Sukhois 'boiler approach' design...

Chances it will be spot on are slim, kit will be copied from 2d scale plans from magazines just like most of their stuff...

There are two sets of drawings available for the Su-9 at Airwar.ru. The iDontKnowWhereTheyCameFrom and the Zlinek ones. Compared the nose profiles... and they don't look the same. One has a rotational symmetry while the Zlinek doesn't. Who's right, or rather, who's less wrong ? I think that Trumpeter would use the Zlinek drawings.

Edited by Laurent

And interesting that it appears that the U-2 was flown by a female or transgendered pilot...

Anyway - from the (Unclassified) CIA 'The U-2 Program: A Russian Officer Remembers' (here)

Powers and his U-2, meanwhile, were heading confidently northward. A Soviet SU-9 Fishpot high-altitude fighter aircraft, which was in the area on an unrelated mission, took off from an airfield at Sverdlovsk (now Ekaterinburg) to try to intercept the U-2. The pilot of this aircraft, which was not appropriately armed or equipped for such a mission, was directed to close with and ram the intruder. The risk was enormous and the chances for success were negligible. The pilot managed briefly to gain the necessary altitude, but he did not catch sight of the target, and the attempt was abandoned.

The Su-9 was a PVO interceptor, not a reconnaissance asset. I'm not aware of one ever having left the borders of the USSR, so if they were reconnoitering anything with it, it would have been friendly territory.