1/48 Hasegawa F-4E TuAF SEA

Thanks very much everybody. I really appreciate this. Mark, that pic you posted is great. I wanted to add a nose band and after seeing your pic I used very light grey for this. I just wanted to create some visual interest. You are right about the blue being too dark, but I think with flat coat it might get a little lighter.

Aigore, yes, I owe Honza so much. His techniques have been so interesting to me and I have tried to adopt as many of them as possible. He's still churning some great models on Google+ but his interests now seem to be in WWII and bombers. Just lovely.

I am thinking of a generic F-4E here, no tail or nose art. I like such classic Phantoms partly because I grew up in a city that had these (and still do) flying over the city skies *all the time*. Though for this model I am thinking of a Malatya Phantom (7-039 or 7-049 both of which wore Tiseo, don't know the serial numbers unfortunately). We'll see.But all in all it should look like the pics I posted in the first post of this topic.

Though for this model I am thinking of a Malatya Phantom (7-039 or 7-049 both of which wore Tiseo, don't know the serial numbers unfortunately).

7-039 and 7-049 were both among the first batch of new-build F-4E's that were delivered to Turkey in 1975. Their serial numbers are 73-1039 and 73-1049 respectively. Both were converted to F-4E/2020's, I believe at least 73-1049 is still around.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

Janissary, just saw this thread and I enjoyed reading it and seeing your lovely work again. Of course, i love the the attention to detail you are putting into this project. I am glad to see those rivets are looking really good under the paint. I'm sure in the end (with some wash) they will be great. :thumbsup:

Edit note: I forgot to mention the chipping exhaust and fuel tank..they will look great once installed, especially the fuel tank. It will pop under that camo jet ;)

Edited by Youngtiger1

Superb work Janissary :)/>

I m following your thread as I m too interested in building a Turkish SEA camo Phantom. I dont like greys ;)/>

Which decals will you be using for this airplane?

Edited by stalal

Janissary, the hairspray technique turned out great. I am still a little ignorant at your masking technique in that I don't know where to get parafilm from. I want to try your masking technique on my A-10 kit since I can't close the canopy with the detail that I have added. I am looking for a way to mask these items so that the added detail will not be effected by the masking agent. Could you please tell me where you get the film or if there is an equivalent material I can get if I can't source the same product? Thanks for the help. Great progress so far and looking forward to the next update!

-Mark

Thank you very much all, I really appreciate your comments, it gives me more energy as I move through some of the tedious steps of the build.

Mark, to answer your question about parafilm; I bought my roll from the lab store of the chemistry department of the university I am at. They never asked for an id so I guess anybody could easily get this from such a lab store. However, I checked ebay and there is plenty of these over there. Mine looks like this:

parafilm3.jpg

There are some subtleties to using it (e.g., only stretch it in one direction, not two, otherwise it becomes difficult to remove) but if you have any questions about it I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Stal, Phantoms is my all time favorite, so I have been collecting decals for a while now. Here is hat I have:

A few years ago, Kursad (KursadA) generously printed for me a few of the decals I was in search for using his Alps printer. The bottom piece has a bunch of pilot and crewchief names, and one of the pilots is me as a lieutenant :)

IMG_7573.JPG

A great RF-4E set from Turquoise decals (http://www.turquoisedecals.com)

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7575.JPG

Another partial set from Hobbytime decals (http://www.hobbytime.com.tr)

IMG_7576.JPG

And finally dry transfer sets from now seemingly defunct Hobbydecals for Korean F-4Es (sorry about the bad quality images):

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

I also have a similar set for British phantoms (specifically wanted the white stencils):

IMG_7582.JPG

I will likely use bits and pieces from all of these but admittedly I don't have a set plan yet. But the final model will not feature any tail or nose art for sure as I like the plain SEAs with large bort numbers :)

Edited by Janissary

Thanks for the tip on the Parafilm Janissary. I will check out e-bay and see what I can come up with. It looks as if the decal work will make your head spin! Haha. I am sure it will be more than worth it just looking at your progress so far!

-Mark

I have a question for Phantom experts. Given Hasegawa's mold and specifically the way the leading edge flaps and slats are positioned, shall I paint the red/white strips that are seen here in Scott Wilson's photo?

F-4ESEAleftwingScottWilson-1.jpg

IMG_7533.JPG

I have a picture that shows these strips on a TuAF phantom that is being serviced, so I have confidence that they exist on the aircraft I am modeling. However, from the pic I have, plus Scott's pic above, part of me thinks these strips are visible because the slats are not completely retracted. Is that so? So my question is, given Hasegawa's mold, would it be totally inaccurate to add these to my build?

Thanks

A few years ago, Kursad (KursadA) generously printed for me a few of the decals I was in search for using his Alps printer. The bottom piece has a bunch of pilot and crewchief names, and one of the pilots is me as a lieutenant :)/>

Captain, actually - don't sell yourself short ;-) Great work so far, I am watching with interest.

I have a question for Phantom experts. Given Hasegawa's mold and specifically the way the leading edge flaps and slats are positioned, shall I paint the red/white strips that are seen here in Scott Wilson's photo?

F-4ESEAleftwingScottWilson-1.jpg

IMG_7533.JPG

I have a picture that shows these strips on a TuAF phantom that is being serviced, so I have confidence that they exist on the aircraft I am modeling. However, from the pic I have, plus Scott's pic above, part of me thinks these strips are visible because the slats are not completely retracted. Is that so? So my question is, given Hasegawa's mold, would it be totally inaccurate to add these to my build?

Thanks

The slats in my photo were completely retracted. The outboard slats have a gap between the wing and slat trailing edge when they are fully retracted.

Several photos I have seen of Turkish F-4Es in the SEA greens and tan also have the red and white (possibly pale gray, FS36622) stripes. The stripes were there to warn people where not to be standing when the slats moved. They went from fully retracted to fully extended in about one second, and retracted at the same speed. Not much time to get out of the way!

Hasegawa forgot the outboard slat actuator and hinge fairings that extend aft of the outboard slat trailing edges. I am hoping Academy will get that correct if they do slatted Phantoms. Also few people bother correcting their models but Hasegawa left the panel lines the same as a non-slatted wing on the top surface outboard of the wing fold hinge, whereas on the real jets the panel lines are almost all completely different there.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

That is some darn good weathering! For me this is the best part of the entire build process. I love the weathering and fading process. Your Phantom is outstanding. Any metal or primer coat chipping?

Captain, actually - don't sell yourself short ;-) Great work so far, I am watching with interest.

Roger that! Thanks for the correction!

Janissary , you have great collection of Turkish decals. Impressed :)/>/>/>/>

Thank you, you can never have enough of them. Kursad has been pumping out some great ones lately. My next project seems to be a TuAF T-38 with his decals.

The slats in my photo were completely retracted. The outboard slats have a gap between the wing and slat trailing edge when they are fully retracted.

Several photos I have seen of Turkish F-4Es in the SEA greens and tan also have the red and white (possibly pale gray, FS36622) stripes. The stripes were there to warn people where not to be standing when the slats moved. They went from fully retracted to fully extended in about one second, and retracted at the same speed. Not much time to get out of the way!

Hasegawa forgot the outboard slat actuator and hinge fairings that extend aft of the outboard slat trailing edges. I am hoping Academy will get that correct if they do slatted Phantoms. Also few people bother correcting their models but Hasegawa left the panel lines the same as a non-slatted wing on the top surface outboard of the wing fold hinge, whereas on the real jets the panel lines are almost all completely different there.

Thank you Scott, I always appreciate your wonderful descriptions of anything that pertains to the Phantom. Last night I ended up painting the outer slat red stripes based on your description. I think I will skip painting the inboard stripes with Hasegawa's plastic (slat blended into the wing) it will look a little strange. After your description of the slats, I found this:

That is some darn good weathering! For me this is the best part of the entire build process. I love the weathering and fading process. Your Phantom is outstanding. Any metal or primer coat chipping?

Thank you, I am a little skittish when it comes to chipping the mainframe but after all the coats, I may chip a few places using Prismacolor pencils. However, given how I weathered the fuel tank and the travel pod, I think it would look odd not to have any bumps and bruises on the aircraft. It looks a little too pristine right now.

Edited by Janissary