How do you cut hypodermic needles?

I've tried using a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut down hypodermic needles for use as pitot tubes and gun barrels, but I've had mixed success at best. Often, the cuts are not square or the cut end is too rough. Is there a way to cut needles that leaves a clean, square cut without crimping the needle?

I never tried this with hypodermic needles. But with a sewing needle, I held the needle with a needle-nose type pair of pliers with the sewing needle sticking out from the side of the pliers. I held the pliers against the edge of a countertop (so that it won't move) and hammered off the overhang. If the needle is brittle enough, it should break cleanly (circular cross section) at the base going into the pliers. You can add a piece of tape to the overhanging part so that you can find it after it flies off the pliers. Not sure but my guess is that this should work for hypodermic needles as well.

I use the same method as for any metal tube or rod: place the needle on a hard surface (I have a set of polished granite drinks coasters which work well) and use a new(ish) scalpel blade at a right-angle to the needle, rolling the needle back and forth with the cutting edge. Hardly any pressure is required (too much and the blade will fracture!), and the needle will separate after a few rolls. I was surprised how well this worked on the hardest steel. Smooth out the cut end with a file aaand -done!

Try sliding a piece of wire into the tube, this will keep it from collapsing when cutting, I usually lay my tubes on some tape, then trap it with another piece of tape, mark the length with a pencil/pen, then just cut clean through the tape and tube,and burrs can be touched up with the cutting wheel. If I'm using it as a pitot, then there is usually 2 pieces telescoped into each other, and I will also taper the end of the bigger tube using the side of the cutting wheel as a grinder (don't apply too much pressure as the wheel can break)

Curt

ChippyWho--I just tried your method but I think I'm doing something wrong. I couldn't cut the needle and the blade wandered from the area I wanted to cut. I ended up with very faint scratches over a portion of the needle, but nothing more. Is there something I'm not doing right?

ChippyWho--I just tried your method but I think I'm doing something wrong. I couldn't cut the needle and the blade wandered from the area I wanted to cut. I ended up with very faint scratches over a portion of the needle, but nothing more. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Some metals are too hard (stainless) to cut using that method,sounds like you have some hard shoot.

Curt

I had some stainless steel tubing, I ended up buying a sharp paint remover made of Tungsten Carbide, something like the blade used in these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hyde-2-in-Wide-2-Scraping-Edges-Scraper-Blade-Tungsten-Carbide-10620/100145658 Was able to cut through the tube like I usually would with a razor edge since the tungsten carbide is harder than the stainless steel.

This works for me. Put down a piece of regular, tan masking tape, sticky side up. Now stick the hypodermic needle on the tape. Stick a little longer piece of masking tape over your needle and tape it down. Burnish the tape down on the needle, so it sticks above the service, but is covered with the tape. You can see the needle under the tape, so you can measure the piece that you need. Now cut the needle through tape. This method give you a nice clean cut, the pieces of needle don't go flying because they are stuck to the tape, and you have the length you want. Try it, you'll like it.

Where is a good place to pick up hypodermic needles?

Hey "duck," I checked at my local mom and pop drug store. I told the owner what I needed them for. He told me that I could by un-sterile syringe needles (needles only) in one foot lengths. He didn't give me a price, but said it was a lot cheaper. I still have enough from years past, so I haven't needed to get any needles from the drug store.

duck--yu can buy them on eBay, too. I bought them in bulk there for a very low price.

EDIT: In fact, if you want something less than a lifetime supply, PM me and I can sell you a sizable batch cheap.

Edited by Lucas C.

A good farm supply outlet usually has a very good selection of needles, from very small to very large. You can usually find smaller needles in drugstores. One word of caution though - check your local regulations - some States/Municipalities have rules about the purchase and/or possession of hypodermic needles (usually requiring a prescription)