1/72 Scale Anti Skid Surface

Someone I know went out in his driveway and scooped up some fine sand, sifted it through some fine mesh, and added a little to some dark grey paint. It was *absolutely* authentic looking, since it's in effect an exact scale version of the real thing.

You have these soft sanding/polishing sticks. You could peel off the right looking sanding strip from it, cut it to shape and viola šŸ˜‰

Edited by Fiddler

The Testors plastic sanding films take a thin coat of model paint very well.

The sheets seem small, but, you could cut off the piece you need for your tractor's top, and still have the rest of that sheet to sand with.

Jenning's idea sounds good, too, and I think there was a place to get sand in varying grades, maybe the aquarium section of a pet store? or one of those craft places that sell sand in colors to use in glass jars to make table ornaments?

Don't buy sand. Just scoop some up from outside and sift it through some very fine mesh (like a nylon stocking). It only takes a microscopic amount. And in 1/72 you need very tiny grain size, otherwise it's going to look like rocks.

What you can also do is soften the plastic bit by brushing some Tamiya extra thin cement on it, then stipple with an old toothbrush. That's what I do to replicate the ablative coating on USN/USMC bombs in 1/72.

Cheers,

Hoops

haha, sorry Jennings.

As I said, your idea is a good one.

I just actually don't have any sand near me, this ground and these driveways are different materials.

("Rocky" is in a lot of road names and place names in Tennessee for a reason,,,,,,Red Clay could be second place)

I used 3M's spray glue with baby powder. You need to mask the surfaces you want to coat pretty carefully as the spray can go all over the place. But if you do, the glue leaves a nice tacky residue and you can sprinkle baby powder (or any such fine powder) on it. Then, you can remove the excess with a brush. I did the walkways below using that technique:

IMG_3224.JPG

This is 1/48 but I would probably use the same technique in 1/72.

Edited by Janissary