FMK new release 1/48 F-20A Tigershark

Freedom Model Kits release a new tool F-20A Tigershark in 1/48.

Just announced.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freedom-Model-Kits-EU/832469846768673

Enjoy :)/>

I wish them well on this kit but have to state that I'm disappointed with the subject. A total of three were built, two of which crashed. Many other more worthy subjects out there.

Anyhoo... good luck to FMK!

Freedom Model Kits release a new tool F-20A Tigershark in 1/48.

Interesting choice (?), but will get one based on the positive reception their first kit received (XB-47).

Let's see ... light gray, dark gray, or red/white ?

What-if? :woot.gif:

Gene K

Good news! I think it is interesting, near my home at WTD 61 in Manching they had one for testing but the politicians at that time decided not to buy it...so - what if- they purchased that airplane for the federal german airforce? Norm 72 camo or later norm 83 lizard?

When someone is building the F-5 family, the F-20 belongs to that collection! So... :thumbsup:

I can think of about a dozen modern(ish) jets I'd rather have seen them spend their resources on than an F-20 (number built: 3, years in service: 0)

Oh well. We keep waiting for a Tweet (number built: 1269, years in service: going on 60)

Edited by Jennings

For every aircraft release there is always a bunch that shouts out for the Tweet.. is it that hard to modify the A-37 into a T-37?

I bet the F-20 has it´s supporters in the What-If camp, who also loved the (Y)F-23 and the upcoming Kinetic F-16XL. The F-20 never became anything more than a demonstrator, but it was pitched to many countries so there are a lot of potential WhatIf versions. For me it´s interesting on two accounts - I built the Monogram F-20 as a kid, and I liked the gun metal finish of it, and I was very happy with how my kit turned out. I also wonder if it could be used as a basis for a 1/48 X-29? A quick glance tells me the air intakes needs to be quite heavily reworked, and of course the wings...

Usually I'm not roo much for prototypes, demonstrators or one-offs, but given my soft spot for the Tiger II series, it's really tempting.

One of the German evaluation pilots allegedly rated the Tigershark "probably the best aircraft to bomb the end of your own runway".

Edited by Airfixer

I have one of the old Monogram kits and I was planning on an IAF scheme since I believe Northrop had proposed it to them. Will have to wait and see the kit but to be honest there sure were more needy subjects to be kitted out there.

I know it is not a jet but an Mi-8 would have been nice. With all the markings and versions, it would have been a good seller I think. Yeah I know helicopters are a hard sell but yet we are seeing a new AH-1Z and UH-1Y so maybe all hope is not lost.

The F-20 was pitched as an Adversary for the Navy. Think of the Whif schemes that can be used for this. I remember going to an airshow as a kid and seeing the F-20 on static. I have a soft spot for this jet, so I'll be building a couple.

Oh, man, I love the Tigershark! Definitely my favorite "aircraft-that-almost-was" without a second place contestant. What a fabulous, sexy aircraft. How I wish someone had bought some.

I remember in the late '80's when I built one of the Monogram kits as a USMC bird. I actually tried to do the Iron Eagle wacky loadout of 3 Mavericks on one side, 3 Mk 82's on the other wing....THAT'S how I discovered the importance of "GROUND CLEARANCE"!!!! :lol:

..hey, gimme a break, I was about 17 and hadn't entered flight school yet....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

The F-20 was pitched as an Adversary for the Navy. Think of the Whif schemes that can be used for this. I remember going to an airshow as a kid and seeing the F-20 on static. I have a soft spot for this jet, so I'll be building a couple.

Way ahead of you. Here's my contribution to the F-20 "Adversary" pool:

file-53.jpg

And STILL no decent kit of the North American FJ-3 Fury. There's some outfit doing a new kit of the F-16XL too. Two built (one two-seater), and at least three kits of the XL available over the decades.

Nearly 700 -3 Furies built in the '50s, dozens of markings options, and a beautiful aircraft to boot. Personally, I want a Fury in 1/72, but I realize it's needed even more in 1/48. Just stupid.

For every aircraft release there is always a bunch that shouts out for the Tweet.. is it that hard to modify the A-37 into a T-37?

I bet the F-20 has it´s supporters in the What-If camp, who also loved the (Y)F-23 and the upcoming Kinetic F-16XL. The F-20 never became anything more than a demonstrator, but it was pitched to many countries so there are a lot of potential WhatIf versions. For me it´s interesting on two accounts - I built the Monogram F-20 as a kid, and I liked the gun metal finish of it, and I was very happy with how my kit turned out. I also wonder if it could be used as a basis for a 1/48 X-29? A quick glance tells me the air intakes needs to be quite heavily reworked, and of course the wings...

Turning a A-37 to a T-37 isn't any harder then converting a F-18A to a F-18E , BAE Hawk Mk1 to a T-45 or a E-3 to a KC-135.

is it that hard to modify the A-37 into a T-37?

Yes. The fuselage/engine/wing interface is very, very different, for starters.

I also wonder if it could be used as a basis for a 1/48 X-29? A quick glance tells me the air intakes needs to be quite heavily reworked, and of course the wings...

No, the X-29 used an F-5A forward fuselage, F-16 main gear, new wing, new fuselage aft of the cockpit, new vertical tail, about the only thing it had in common with the F-20 was the F404 engine.