NEW ! F-22 A STRATO CAD PARTS ! Upcoming 3D PRINTED WHEELS

Here are more new designs that will be available as 3D printed parts from Stratosphere Models.

The parts will be available from several different 3D printing companies as high quality, high resolution parts, including but not limited to Shapeways.

By the way, GREAT NEWS ! Shapeways have just announced 4 days ago that they are now offering DOUBLE the resolution they were offering before (and which was already giving highly detailled results), so they are now printing at 16 microns !! That's pretty close to the maximum resolution you will find anywhere else from the best 3D printing machines. So right now they are on par with the best commercial 3D print resolution out there.

Since these are larger size wheels, to keep things affordable the final parts will be hollowed-out in two halves to reduce the total cubic centimeter resin material cost and keep them competitive.

The wheels will be available at 1/48th scale (and maybe also 1/32).

This is not the final design, there are still a few details i will change and add, and i am still working on the brake assembly.

If there is anyone linked to the aircraft who can help, i am all ears because it will help me make the model more realistic, the model is almost complete but i am still looking specifically for info about a small hard to see corner at the back of the wheel, for the brake assembly. I initially designed the brake assembly with 6 bars forming the shape of an hexagon, but upon closer study plus after getting more research material it became clear there are only 5 bars linking the cylinders, forming a rough pentagon shape. The aircraft being always protected by a barrier and protected by armed guards each time it is exposed to the public, the only photos available make it difficult to see the upper part of the brake assembly since it is hidden by wheel well doors, and the assembly is only visible from a low angle from 3/4 front or a 3/4 rear angle with a telephoto (Note: the prototype that is in a museum does have Different wheels and brake assembly than the operational aircraft, so that one won't do and i didn't use it for my design). So, after a redesign, the things i am sure of now is the shape, details and position of the two lower arms linking 3 of the cylinders, plus what looks like an air valve on the upper left cylinder and all the details in the lower part (and anything that forms a repeated pattern around the wheel). I have determined the position of the upper 3 bars based on the best rear view photos i could find, and also in an effort to make the pentagon shape more symmetrical. One thing i have determined by placing these bars in a multitude of different positions to see what i would get and compare with photos is that the position i am showing here is the one that is the least assymetrical, so it is the one i have retained (to be honest no matter what position the 3 upper arms have, the look will be less symmetrical than what i am showing here if their position is different than the one i chose, so all in all they will never show a real pentagon pattern, unlike what all other products have done before, the shape is Not supposed to be symmetrical, and it is the position of the two (clearly visible) bars and 3 cylinders on the sharp photos i got which determine the fact that the final "pentagon" shape will not be symmetrical). I will also add more details to the 3 upper arms if i find photos of the dismantled wheel, so i left them mostly bare for now as details on these are not visible from the angles that are accessible to the public.

One possibility would be if someone sent me photos of the wheel assembly detached from the landing gear so i could see all the details, and then i will update. This is basically what i had to do recently for a French aircraft where the brake assembly was partly hidden, someone found photos of these and sent them to me and i will add those details to the model. But close-up photos showing all the hard to see corners of the back of the wheel attached to the aircraft would be fine too.

If you have any clear close-up pictures of the brake assembly and of the smallest writings on the tires, please email me and i will update the model. I am also looking for pictures showing the small letterings engraved on the metal parts of the wheels (i've got some of it but not all).

(Take note that additional small details have been added to the "rubber" part of the tires (i haven't had time to redo all the renderings, so if you don't see something, it's probably already been added, if not, ground crews and pilots are free to tell me and i will make the required changes (it's really the very smallest writings i haven't added yet, on the wheel itself).

More accessories are coming soon, from STRATOSPHERE MODELS.

Stay tuned, because i will soon post the links where my new parts can be ordered and 3D printed once the 3D model get completed.

All drawings are Copyright Stratosphere Models.

NOTE: the 3D .STL files for export for the Mirage 2000 wheels are complete and watertight and have been sent to 2 different 3D printing services. I am currently waiting to receive the first parts.

At this stage this is a work-in-progress and images do not show the final design. Photos of the 3D printed F-22 wheels will be shown when the 3D models will be completed.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

uedrsth.jpg

utt78li.jpg

ugti7t.jpg

gujt8itt8.jpg

WHEEL%20F-22%20-%20Design%20Quasi-Final.jpg

Roue%20F-22%20-%20Design%20Quasi-Final.jpg

Latest%20Details%20Pneu%20F-22%20A.jpg

Nouveaux%20Details%20Pneu%20F-22%2003.jpg

kjhgq45.jpg

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Here is a comparison between the earlier version which i had designed with 6 arms for the brake assembly and the final version which i will build which now have only 5 arms. That's only to show that although the first design looked more symmetric, it is not possible to obtain a regular symmetry with a 5 arms design (and i tried many different ways) (the actual F-22 wheels have only 5 arms, my earlier 6 arms design was done before i obtained more close up pictures, and of course i will not build the final product with 6 arms. I am only posting it for the sake of comparison). I also changed and or added various details to the new version. Some of the details of the brake assembly are still subject to change.

Nouveaux%20Details%20Pneu%20F-22.jpg

Pneu%20F-22%20Old%20versoin%205%20branches%2001_1.jpg

Pneu%20F-22%20-%20Previous%20Version%205%20Branches%2002.jpg

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

looking forward to seeing your results. Might I make a suggestion if possible? You said to keep cost down you were going to make them in to two hollow halves. Why not just make them a hollow shelled part with an escape hole that can be put at the bottom of the wheel by the builder? That would keep your cost down like you've planned and also keep from having the builder having to worry with a seam. Just something to consider.

3D model files are looking good BTW.

Bill

looking forward to seeing your results. Might I make a suggestion if possible? You said to keep cost down you were going to make them in to two hollow halves. Why not just make them a hollow shelled part with an escape hole that can be put at the bottom of the wheel by the builder? That would keep your cost down like you've planned and also keep from having the builder having to worry with a seam. Just something to consider.

3D model files are looking good BTW.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you, technically that would be possible, but Shapeways does not recommend it for that type of geometry, they recommend more than one escape hole if the parts were built that way. So i will use the two halves solution similar to injected kit parts for the MIG-25 and F-22 wheels. For the Mirage wheels it was ok to keep them solid because they are smaller and less costly to print solid versus bigger wheels.

Stephane.

Oh yes!!! Let us know how that Frosted Extreme Detail is! I almost sent a big order with that but lead time was an extra couple weeks (project deadlines and all...).

Shapeways is still ironing out a few things, that's why the delay is longer for that material since this is their first official commercial batch at that resolution and they want to completely fill their machine with parts from enough people before starting up the printer, that's why i think it takes a bit longer this time. They were also making some corrections to their webpage and programming for the new material. Initially i was not able to find the size of the new bounding box other than it is smaller for the new Extreme Detail material, but i found it directly when i sent a larger part and found out it didn't fit, reduced it by 50% and then it fit and i ordered it also a couple days later. I am planning to order more parts from another source soon with a similar resolution , i might even get my parts earlier since they are closer. There will be the Mirage 2000 wheels plus some much larger parts that will go with a large kit i will announce later this year.

Stephane.

OK, here's more fun:

The F-22 front wheel :)

(Sorry for posting them a bit late, i did an update of the MIG-25 wheels last night, plus several other things earlier, and more that i will announce soon.

Take note there maybe some variations of details between pics as i didn't have time to redo all the renderings after i made some changes, i've been busy: I did a redesign for the position and size of the various markings on the tire plus an additional smaller adjustment, so i am showing a mash-up of the early and the final design (keeps the competition guessing too). They all look good anyway. At least i was able to preserve my textures colors of the front of the smaller tire while for the main tire i was not able to due to a small glitch in the file after i made some Boolean operations on it (so now the main tire shows only in monochrome, but that's ok, at least i gave the pics enough contrast).

Again, design is not final, i am still modifying a few small things but the front wheel is about 95% complete.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

oihqeg.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20027.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20019.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20024.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20025.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20011.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20014.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour%20008.jpg

NEW%20Render%20Roue%20Avant%20Mise%20a%20jour.jpg

All illustrations are copyright Stratosphere Models.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

By the way, if there are F-22 pilots and ground crew online, as i mentioned earlier, i would like to hear your input and comments for the geometry of the brake parts for my wheels to make them the most accurate possible. There will be of course a left side and a right side wheel. I am looking for more detailed very close up photos showing all the hidden corners of the wheel brake assembly, plus if possible photos or drawings of the disassembled wheel to better show the brakes.

You can send photos at my email address below.

Or via my inbox.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

By the way, if there are F-22 pilots and ground crew online, as i mentioned earlier, i would like to hear your input and comments for the geometry of the brake parts for my wheels to make them the most accurate possible. There will be of course a left side and a right side wheel. I am looking for more detailed very close up photos showing all the hidden corners of the wheel brake assembly, plus if possible photos or drawings of the disassembled wheel to better show the brakes.

You can send photos at my email address below.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

I am not sure that sending photos of an in-service USAF aircraft (especially the F22) to a foreign national would be a good career move for someone in the USAF.

Darius

But those aren't printed by Shapeways, and the 100,000th item won't be as good as the first!

LOL...

I have some Shapeways printed parts in their new high rez.

Better then last year, but I still CAN NOT use them as is.

No way, no how.

Edited by Harold

Personally could care less about these. No interest in the F-22.

But there seems to be some personal vendetta against this guy developing these items.

Is this the usual type of response on this forum for newbies trying to make it in the industry?

Way to show support.

But there seems to be some personal vendetta against this guy developing these items.

Is this the usual type of response on this forum for newbies trying to make it in the industry?

Way to show support.

I love this guy, he's passionate to a fault and its one of the few instances where he seems to get the keyboard rivet counters united in a collective herd to wage war with his over the top announcements. And the best part is over the last two, three years or so that I've read his posts, they don't change he keeps coming up with new products and awesome announcements despite the e-smackdown that he seems to always get. Gotta love an underdog.

The Modeling Community is a very unforgiving group, if you advertise a product you need to be able to produce that product in a timely manner or you will receive the wrath of said community, I know this from personal experience.....

Now with Stratosphere there is a record of coming products to be produced by Shapeways with not one photo of the finished part, just cad designs, Now I have not personally commented on these threads, but the skepticism comes from members with experience in CAD design and the limitations that come with prototyping, we would like to see the finished product as the claims being made are hard to believe, a photo of the "actual" parts to be sold is the bare minimum that Stratosphere could do the quiet the criticism.

The Modeling Community is a very unforgiving group, if you advertise a product you need to be able to produce that product in a timely manner or you will receive the wrath of said community, I know this from personal experience....

Even worse is when said product is needed and wanted, but product is out of stock!!!!! :deadhorse1:

The product announcements remind me of Collect Aire. "Jewel-like white metal landing gear! Finely engraved panel lines! Crystal clear vac canopies!" Every statement was ended with an exclamation point. I've built quite a few Collect Aire kits. Some were very good, others were decent, and then there was the rest. However, none ever met the expectations fostered by the ads. I see that as the problem with these announcements. The CAD work looks fantastic. I truly am pulling for him to be able to produce a product that matches the CAD images. But since no product has been forth-coming as of yet, the announcements mean nothing. I think what got the ire of many was the statement that he was going to bulldoze the competition. I applaud his bravado, but that doesn't foster many positive relationships, especially when, once again, there is no product to back up statements. In short, he's shooting himself in the foot.

Way to show support.

Stehpane is far from a newbie. He has been around for a long time.

As for the reaction? IMO it's mostly the product of immense hubris and a history of burning bridges or lashing out against anyone who wasn't pledging undying love for his wares. If you lash out at both your potential customers and potential mentors, you're going to generate a lot of ill will. A lot of people have been pretty tired of his shtick for a long time, but I think that many were finally pushed over the edge with his recent Mirage threads (side-note: more vaporware?), where a few people with significant experience in 3D printing tried to offer some advice and pointers to Stephane, only to be rebuffed in a patronizing and insulting manner. Once again, it generated more ill will, so now he's reaping the rewards.