Severe Weathering Gone Bad

My 1/32 P-40K pulled off the shelf. Wanted to show a bird that pretty much spent it's wartime life out in the open in China during the war. She's about 80% complete. Screwed up the oil wash and now the wings are goofy. Going to finish her and just put it on the shelf...maybe leave the weathering for the experts and keep my builds cleaner.

Cheers

Collin

Original paint:

DSCN6179_1.jpg

Overcoated with Dark Earth to tone things down. From photos these P-40's I thought this came close:

DSCN6189_1.jpg

After the weathering... something went wrong:

DSCN6211.jpg

DSCN6194.jpg

DSCN6204.jpg

DSCN6199.jpg

DSCN6203.jpg

Call me goofy, but I like the weathering on the wings. It looks like the bare metal is starting to come through the paint on the wings in random patches. Certainly, that could have happened to these birds if they spent their entire lives outside, no? Looks realistic to me. :thumbsup:

I like it! The only thing I would do is knock down the decals a bit either with a bit of the base paint sprayed lightly over them or by rubbing down with high grit (8000+) micromesh to make them look worn. You'd also have to weather up the fuselage a bit more as it looks too clean compared to the wings. But looks real nice mate! :thumbsup:

Yep I must be goofy too but I like it! I agree with Andrew maybe weathering a bit the rest of the fuselage would be a good idea, but so far is a great looking model!!

To be honest, based on your photos I think it looks fine. Look at this photo of a P-38 in the Pacific:

scan0007_zpsl3rrqhjm.jpg

I see no reason why a P-40 wouldn't have weathered similarly (kind of like yours). If you do anything I agree with "Crazy Snap Captain", scuff up or tone down your markings and call it a wrap.

I say good job myself :thumbsup:/> .

Regards,

Don

Edited by Don

I like it! The only thing I would do is knock down the decals a bit either with a bit of the base paint sprayed lightly over them or by rubbing down with high grit (8000+) micromesh to make them look worn. You'd also have to weather up the fuselage a bit more as it looks too clean compared to the wings. But looks real nice mate! :thumbsup:/>

I second this. :smiley-transport008:

Your wings match an F-4 I was around yesterday that had been outside for years.

Agree with the others!

Hope you can figure out what you did on the wings so you can make the fuselage match.

You should keep developing your weathering skills---you're actually doing a great job!

If you still think it looks "goofy", maybe put noseart of Disney's Goofy on it!

I don't see any issues with the wings at all. If it really gets to you, use a thinned and/or slightly lighten the base colors with a little white and touch up those areas. But honestly, it looks really good.

I like it alot. My only suggestion would be to tone down the zinc chromate cockpit sills with some grime and scratches. It stands out as pristine on an otherwise heavily used aircraft.

Regards,

John

The only thing "wrong" I see here is your cockpit. It looks in pristine condition compared to the outside weathering (which looks good like others pointed out). :)

That's because I just pulled off the spare canopy that was acting as a mask. I haven't done any chipping or scuffing up of the airframe yet. In fact, I'm about to go home and do the individual engine exhausts.

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

I also like the weathering on the wings, but that doesn't answer your question as to why it happened. It's hard to duplicate this effect if you don't know how to control it's application. The White Balance has changed from the pre weathering picture to the post weathering pictures, so it's hard to match colors up. Did you seal the pre weathered paint before weathering? I like to seal with Glosscoat which is a lacquer based clearcoat. Others prefer Pledge which is an acrylic base. In either case, you can't use any base that will eat through the clearcoat, and that's what it looks like happened.

Joel

I'm about to post finished photos...but here was the process

Painted the normal way

X-22 Tamiya gloss coat and decals went on just perfect

Sealed the paint/decals with acrylic semi-matt

AK filter applied which did a nice job of evening out the tone

Another coat of semi-matt

AK panel line (darkish brown...I hate the real start black panel line look). That went on just fine

Another light coat of semi-matt

Applied spots of oil paint (oil dot filter process). Moistened and blended away with mineral spirits.

I think the AK panel line wash and the mineral spirits might have been too harsh for the acrylic semi-matt...hence the bleach look. Just my guess.

Check the display case for finished photos.

Cheers

Collin

If you're worried about messing up when it comes to the markings, how about putting it in a scene where it's getting a new set of markings to be put back into service? The white on the nose and tail look new so it could work with say someone standing near holding a paint brush and a can of paint, admiring his work. Just a thought.

I've had this exact thing happen to me a couple of times, and I think I've narrowed it down to being either the oils or thinner I was using over Future. When this happened both times it was using white spirit from Walmart in conjunction with some off brand (Thomas Kinkade) brand oil paints. I'm pretty sure the thinner was the issue, but I've since switched to Mona Lisa orderless thinner and quality oil paints and haven't had any problems.

I've had this exact thing happen to me a couple of times, and I think I've narrowed it down to being either the oils or thinner I was using over Future. When this happened both times it was using white spirit from Walmart in conjunction with some off brand (Thomas Kinkade) brand oil paints. I'm pretty sure the thinner was the issue, but I've since switched to Mona Lisa orderless thinner and quality oil paints and haven't had any problems.

I might be in that same situation. I think that Mona Lisa thinner is a little weaker...I will keep a lookout for that.

Cheers

Collin