WIP on Kinetic AMX "Black Cats" with Caracal decals, 1/48 scal

got the kit a couple od days ago and was nicely impressed by its quality.

Will build it as this one:

2db838h.jpg

have started removing ejection marks from the inside of the intakes, very easy with a drop of Surfacer 500 and gentle sanding

whjj2h.jpg

dry fitting of major parts show all fits very well, including MLG bay, problems in gfitting are:

1- air intakes that must be glued after you put the two parts inside the fuselage

2- front gear bay need some shaving to its external sides to fit

3- landing gears legs are made of many parts, holes are too big for most of the pins, major care is needed!

2vju135.jpg

before gluing the nozzle you better to sand it around from both inside and outside to make it thinner and to scale, something I forget to do :deadhorse1: also mind to open holes for ILS antennas on the tail, these are both for Italian and Brazilian aiframes while instructions call them for Brazialians only

149zdhf.jpg

34zx11j.jpg

2r4sdw6.jpg

cockpit is quite good in detail while seat have some nasty pins just over the headrest, difficoult to polish but not impossible

2h7nfjk.jpg

Orpheus pods: we got 2 in a box! unfortunately these are off scale, 5 mm too short and 2 mm too thin! Please choose a scheme without the need of these or use those made by DACO. ACOL Upgraded airframes use Receligth instead. Litening is also widely used today.

1zlbt40.jpg

ballast is needed in the nose cone, don't know how much since Kinetic is not telling and geear legs are very long to put together, so I put a lot of weight just to be sure ;)

hrikgp.jpg

shape wise kit is spot on to my eys, the detail of the surface on the sides and wings is also the best ever seen in Kinetic kit, so far, I only regret that some panel lines and most of the rivets disappear on top and on lower part of the fuselage, you better to rescribe these before assembling the kit.

28vqcsn.jpg

two of the trees come from the F-16 boxing and include several weapons, AIM-9L and GBU will be handy while the rest will go in the spare box, unfortunately JDAM are not included neither the much needed Lizard boms (aftermarkets incoming??)

2agvmt.jpg

ohu1ar.jpg

2gyazps.jpg

30az8up.jpg

Great start ! This "Black Cats" AMX seems to be an ACOL so I believe you'll have to sand the nose tip a little.

Yes I will :thumbsup:/>

About photos: those on the ground are by me or my good friend D. Gulinelli, the air to air shot is by Italin Air Force.

Edited by Paolo Maglio

went on building the cockpit, HUD in PE is very nice but I think I will replace the upper glass with a thinner clear sheet of plastic

fvuzbc.jpg

250j91x.jpg

front fuselage assembly was smooth, you can easily add the cockpit tub later from behind, as I said only the front gear bay need some trimming here

msg4uc.jpg

5f2df8.jpg

while the photo here above is less than acceptable I was happy with my intake assembly and painting :rolleyes:

zog6dk.jpg

on this side of the fuselage only I found a thin but deep gap while attaching the air intake, so I masked the rivets detail with tape and filled the gap with Mr. Surfacer 500.

i6ig6a.jpg

dry fitting fron and rear fuselage shows it will be a fine joint.... more soon

That cockpit section to fuselage join on the left side looks.. well.. creative.. :-)

I suppose Kinetic is following existing panel lines. Nice to see a good kit of the AMX. The AMX remind me of the SAAB aircraft that never were, the B3LA.

I will be following your build and maybe one day I will get an AMX of my own.

/E

Can´t say I am sad it never came to fruition, since the end result at the Swedish end was the Gripen. The B3LA would have been a, by the standards of today, fairly (for our needs) useless aircraft, unless it had been upgraded with a radar, which had made it slightly less useless.

But at the same time, the plans were to have a light attack aircraft to complement a new heavy attack aircraft based on the JA 37 Viggen, and that combo would during the 80's probably have been quite good. The twin seater AMX could be used for a nice SwAF what-if project.

/E

25qargk.jpg

good morning, made some more progress on this kit, here we go:

I made 4 pins to attach the wings to fuselgae since thos ein the kit are too small and useless

2u583zp.jpg

the bottom of the fuselage need some sanding and extensive rescribing since details here are way too soft to show trought paint

23rz89.jpg

instructions fail to tell you about the interior cover for the Vulacan gun :deadhorse1: , but the piece is in the box, if you are going to build the Italian AMX please glue this piece (I think is #F22) immediatly!

fkmlqv.jpg

all the main parts are now on and it really looks good

icstqt.jpg

the nozzle was thinned from bot aoutside and inside

9iaf6h.jpg

Today I received the Caracal decal sheet

2vcaul3.jpg

besides the very nice options offered on it (that you can see in these profiles here below)

1z5qddl.jpg

it also cerrects a few mistakes made on the kit's decals:

1- Italian fuselage numbers are 0,25 mm too short

2- Italian rondels are 1 mm too big

3- on kit's decals slime lights are missing!

so for any Italian option I suggest to buy these decals

doxe2c.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio