OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1/35 Scale

Good Afternoon Gentlemen.

Project: AFV Club OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

AM Parts: Zactoman's OH-58 Exterior Set. Fireball Modelworks "Skulls and Spurs" Decal Set.

I want to detail this Warrior a little bit on this build. I am not a good scratch builder and I am limited on what I can reproduce. SO the detailing will depends on my skills. :help:

Now I have been looking at certain builds of the Kiowa and looking at Floyd's build, he mention the kit that he was doing was the MRC kit.

Now he mention what parts to use or not to use because of fitting problems that you will run into later in the build. Thanks Floyd for the heads up.

But I was wondering if anyone built the AFV Club Kiowa and is there any fitting problems with that kit as well?

I would want to know if I built this kit from the box, is there any problems with the windshield fitting, etc. Now being that this is my second helicopter, I did some research on the helicopter.

Now when I looked at prime portal and guncopter, google images, there weren't a lot.

One thing though: On Kiowa Wariiors, from 2009, they are armed with the M3P .50 caliber machine gun instead of the XM296 in its pod. I cannot find that gun in 1/35 scale. Bummer because that gun looks bad as hell.

I have more questions, but that can wait.

So welcome to my build and I hope I can do the Kiowa Warrior justice when I am done.

Richard

I don't remember for sure . Gino did a review on a update kit for the little bird . I dont remember which kit .

I know it was a very nice and complete update kit . I think the model is hard to get ..

Gino may have some insight

Rick

The AFV Club is just a rebox of the MRC kit plastic with a few added resin parts for the new engine cowl. Floyd's resin set is more complete than the resin in the kit.

Gino did a review on a update kit for the little bird . I dont remember which kit .

I did do reviews of the Black Ops Models MH-6M and AH-6M conversion sets. They are both very complete and extremely awesome. However, Richard is building an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior kit, not an AH/MH-6 Little Bird. They are totally different helicopters.

MH-6M

mh-6m-melb-3.jpg

AH-6M

ah-6m-2.jpg

OH-58D

1998829.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The AFV club is the MRC Kiowa Warrior with their resin pieces and photo etch. Since I have a competing product in my Kiowa Warrior set I won't comment on their resin. I leave that to the others on the board to offer their opinions. Their photo etch is nice and useful. I like Zactoman's better, but they are both useful.

As far as the gun goes, Armycast has the M3P gun system.

Of course the Fireball Modelworks decals are premium I wish I had made them. LOL

Also let me recommend that you buy the Squadron/Signal Walk Around book on the Kiowa Warrior. It will answer most of your questions. I should know I wrote it. LOL

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

The AFV club is the MRC Kiowa Warrior with their resin pieces and photo etch. Since I have a competing product in my Kiowa Warrior set I won't comment on their resin. I leave that to the others on the board to offer their opinions. Their photo etch is nice and useful. I like Zactoman's better, but they are both useful.

Of course the Fireball Modelworks decals are premium I wish I had made them. LOL

Also let me recommend that you buy the Squadron/Signal Walk Around book on the Kiowa Warrior. It will answer most of your questions. I should know I wrote it. LOL

Floyd

Thanks Floyd

I will order your set for that Helicopter in about a week. And I will also get the Squadron/signal walk around as well.

I kinda figured it was a MRC kit when I opened the box......I know, I am a slow learner. lol

Richard

Floyd

And thank you for Armycast as well, I see their gun system.

It is already on my list.

Richard

Does anyone have pictures of the cockpit area?

I looked it up in google, but there were not a lot available.

The thing that I am looking for is any pictures that will let me know where the wires from the main IP goes.

At least until I get the Squadron book at least.

Richard

Does anyone have pictures of the cockpit area?

I looked it up in google, but there were not a lot available.

The thing that I am looking for is any pictures that will let me know where the wires from the main IP goes.

At least until I get the Squadron book at least.

Richard

There are not a lot of exposed wires up front. They are all pretty much contained behind the IP under the shroud.

oh-58d-kw-rollout-cockpit.jpg

The rear is vastly different though.

OH-58DAvionics.jpg

Looking forward to your build. I did one a few years back, it was an OEF helo, circa 2007 I think. I used the WW resin set and Fireball decals, with a bit of scratchbuilding. The Zacto stuff wasn't around when I built mine :(/>/>/>

My build is buried here on ARC if you are interested. I think the only major additions I added were the cockpit airbag system, some small details in the cockpit and some wires to the GPS / BFT antenna on the fuselage spine. I also removed the rear seat cushions since many crews in Iraq took these out to provide additional space when they were wearing body armor.

Not sure what your subject will be but keep in mind that these helos went through some upgrades over the last few years. If you are building one pre-2010 you are probably all set, if your subject is newer, you will have to add some additional gear.

The MRC kit goes together quite nicely, I think the only issue I had was getting the canopy to fit properly.

Good luck!

John

Edited by 11bee

Looking forward to your build. I did one a few years back, it was an OEF helo, circa 2007 I think. I used the WW resin set and Fireball decals, with a bit of scratchbuilding. The Zacto stuff wasn't around when I built mine sad.gif/>/>/>

My build is buried here on ARC if you are interested. I think the only major additions I added were the cockpit airbag system, some small details in the cockpit and some wires to the GPS / BFT antenna on the fuselage spine. I also removed the rear seat cushions since many crews in Iraq took these out to provide additional space when they were wearing body armor.

Not sure what your subject will be but keep in mind that these helos went through some upgrades over the last few years. If you are building one pre-2010 you are probably all set, if your subject is newer, you will have to add some additional gear.

The MRC kit goes together quite nicely, I think the only issue I had was getting the canopy to fit properly.

Good luck!

John

HERE is you thread, John.

Ray

Thank you guys for the encouragement. I will probably hold off on doing the helicopter until I get Floyds book next week (Squadron).

I want to see all of the wires (I don't think that I have the patience to do the wires in the rear dept. lol) and everything else.

One question though.

I see a lot of Kiowa Warriors on google and there is one thing that point out to me.

On the tailboom (I think that is what it is called) there are a couple of pics where I see two additional "things" on there:

DSC_0127_zpsig3duaqt.jpg

My Kiowa does not have those two sensors or whatever they are called (forgive my ignorance). Is it something that comes with the Detail set for Werners? Because that is the only detail set that I have not gotten yet (Ordering it now) and I was wondering if they are on Modern Kiowa's. Because I remember someone saying that if I am doing a Kiowa pre 2010 then my kit is fine, but if I am modelling the helicopter after 2010, I need to add some more things.

I want to do a modern Kiowa after 2010, is there a lot that I have to do to the Kiowa to make it look that way? Or more AM parts that I have to purchase?

Thank you guys for all your help in advance. I have to learn a new helicopter and get all my "terms" together so that way I don't sound like a butthead when I try to explain something.

But it will come. I just got use to the Black Hawk and all of her systems and I still have not gotten all of them. :unsure:

Richard

Edited by ElboogiE

They are both antennas. The longer one is a radio antenna, and the square one a GPS receiver. Both are also in the WW update set.

35-01.jpg

The only other major change for a modern OH-58D is the addition of air bags on the glare shield in front of each pilot. They are the smooth, pointy areas above each MFD.

They can be added using sheet styrene, as John did on hos excellent build.

IMG_1024.jpg

Other than that, your best bet is to find a pic of one you want to build and copy the antennas, sensors, and other bits and bobs you see on it. Just like MH-60Ls, the antennas and sensors change often.

There I go, asking a question before I look into the matter!!

On Floyds website I think he has the two things on the tailboom in his detail set:

35-01_zpshfiquoka.jpg

If I found it, I promise not to ask any questions before I look into the matter myself......lol

Richard

They are both antennas. The longer one is a radio antenna, and the square one a GPS receiver. Both are also in the WW update set.

35-01.jpg

The only other major change for a modern OH-58D is the addition of air bags on the glare shield in front of each pilot. They are the smooth, pointy areas above each MFD.

They can be added using sheet styrene, as John did on hos excellent build.

IMG_1024.jpg

Other than that, your best bet is to find a pic of one you want to build and copy the antennas, sensors, and other bits and bobs you see on it. Just like MH-60Ls, the antennas and sensors change often.

Yeah I found the answer out while you were posting this. My bad. Like I said, before I ask any more questions, I will look into it myself.....and then ask the question. lol

Thanks Gino.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Nice choice! When I started my Kiowa build I was sure the airframe was much popular, but...

In any ways you can follow my build having made a deep plunge into it :)/> http://s490816932.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227564

I hope it will be helpful for your build.

I'll be following your progress with much interest.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Alright the first steps that I did was cutting the fuselage from the sprues and taping it together to see what I am dealing with.

Now the surgery has not been done yet to add the Werner Wings detail set to the top of the helicopter.

Man talk about small, compared to the Black Hawk that I just did.

BUT it has excellent details, and I love the raised rivets on the fuselage. I wished Academy would do the same with the MHL DAP kit as well as the MH-60s kit.

20150601_201048_zps4ud8bjcc.jpg

Then I looked at the windshield and I taped it to see where I am with the windshield. I have been reading some reviews where some people have problems with the windshield not fitting properly.

Mine doesn't have the same problems because from what I can see, the windshield fits ALMOST perfectly. Once again, no surgery has been done yet, I am just commenting on what I can see now:

20150601_201456_zps4je576oe.jpg

20150601_201511_zpsujgyjnfk.jpg

20150601_201523_zpssejglekf.jpg

The only problem that I can see is the roof of the windshield, there seems to be a gap between the windshield and the fuselage.

20150601_201552_zpstgdtwbbk.jpg

I do not know when I install the werner wings detail set to my bird if it will correct the problem, but it is not that bad. Nothing that some filler won't correct.

But we will see what the fit of the windshield looks like after the surgery. lol

Richard

Hi Richard,

Nice choice! When I started my Kiowa build I was sure the airframe was much popular, but...

In any ways you can follow my build having made a deep plunge into it :)/>/>/> http://s490816932.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227564

I hope it will be helpful for your build.

I'll be following your progress with much interest.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Hey Alexander.

Last night I looked at your build for over a hour, and I must say your build blows me away.

I like the cyclics and the collectives that you created for it. I wish they were mastered so I can purchase them.

If they are, point me to the website.

But yes, your build and others I will be treating like my bible for the Kiowa.....lol. Absolutley amazing piece of work that you did.

Richard

Bottom chin window fitting is not bad at all:

20150601_223951_zpskzawembm.jpg

BUT:

This is why I hate clear parts.

When the manufacturer of the kit creates the clear parts on certain models, they windows that are attached to the sprue is in a point to where when we remove the part, we are left with this.

20150601_224029_zpshy1feqbg.jpg

Other side is not bad but it is still there:

20150601_224053_zpsjspxvqdf.jpg

Now the mark on the chin windows is deep in there so there is no such thing as sanding with micro mesh to straighten the area out.

The mark is not on the windshield, it is in the windshield. If anyone has a suggestion or a technique that they wish to share to remove this, I will gladly appreciate it.

Richard

Hey Alexander.

Last night I looked at your build for over a hour, and I must say your build blows me away.

I like the cyclics and the collectives that you created for it. I wish they were mastered so I can purchase them.

If they are, point me to the website.

But yes, your build and others I will be treating like my bible for the Kiowa.....lol. Absolutley amazing piece of work that you did.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your so high appreciation of my build.

As for the cyclics and some other stuff I mastered, thay are not on the market yet...

I wish I could convince Zactoman to resin cast them so that to drop them into the market, but...

Maybe you will try.

Cheers!

Alexander

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your so high appreciation of my build.

As for the cyclics and some other stuff I mastered, thay are not on the market yet...

I wish I could convince Zactoman to resin cast them so that to drop them into the market, but...

Maybe you will try.

Cheers!

Alexander

I heard that Zactman was suppose to release a interior set with the Kiowa, I wondered what happened.

I wish someone would master them because a cyclis and collective makes the cockpit in my opinion at least.

I will be looking over your build, while I am working on mine.

Richard

Alright, the first thing that I attacked was the cockpit.

I first taped the cockpit together (or the glare shield and the IP):

20150602_172541_zps6j0ubvq8.jpg

20150602_172554_zpsxbdwm23h.jpg

So I noticed that one of the things that I had to make to model a modern Kiowa is install the air bags (which I have no idea on what to do....lol) and the extra thing in the middle of the glare shield.

1. air bags

2. the thing in the middle....lol

oh-58d-kw-rollout-cockpit1_zpsif47gcqx.jpg

On this:

20150602_184044_zps5cpkf6sb.jpg

Now I remember that Gino gave me a look at a build to where the person did the airbags etc with his glare shield. I will look into that Gino and thank you.

The next thing that I was looking at is the wires that go from the main IP to the middle console. Because you can see the wires thru the chin windows, I wanted to make that are looked really good.

c300bbbd-1c65-4de5-9176-0423360e9fc0_zpsxsz54shv.jpg

But using this:

20150602_191349_zpsc4rdgvky.jpg

The wires will give me a chance to use my EZ wire that I just bought. I noticed some structural difference on that part that is not included on the kit part.

That will need to be addressed as well.

Now I am trying to create a accurate model, as accurate as I can make it, but there are some areas where I will use creative licensing to do my own thing.

I will model the Kiowa off of the information that you guys give me and the reference pictures that I gather.

Back to work.

Richard