It is, it's mentioned on their blog. It looks like a C or D to me.

Do you have a link to that blog, please?

Going by the large exhaust cans, it's a Navy bird - likely a J ... but blowing up the picture (to extremes), there may be a break on the leading edge, so could be an S???

Reminds me of very early pictures of ZM boss when the company was just starting up, where there were several Phantoms models in the background on his workbench.

The new 1/48 Academy kit is good, but leaves plenty of room for what will undoubtedly be a better out-of-box experience.

Thanks, Darren, for an exciting heads up.

Gene K

Yeah its hard to tell from the picture but the burner cans don't look F-4Cish to me. Personally I hope its an F-4S. I am building the Academy "J" right now and think that its a pretty sweet kit, especially considering the relatively cheap price they can be had for if the modeler is patient. It would be nice to be able to build an accurate "S" straight OOB. Time will tell I suppose.

Regards,

Don.

I'll vote for 'S', or at least a J with the option to drop the leading edge slats. Notice the kink in the leading edge of the wing. What you can't see is the fence between the inboard and outboard wing panels though.

I'll vote for 'S', or at least a J with the option to drop the leading edge slats. Notice the kink in the leading edge of the wing. What you can't see is the fence between the inboard and outboard wing panels though.

Concur...and from the chart it appears they'll have a bunch more to come.

Looks to be a C / D. Look at the RHAW fit in the vert tail.

Huh? :blink:/>/>/>/>

Darren, the SWS blog says 1/48 as you surmised from the size. We need a Japanese-fluent modeler to translate that flow chart in the background. Surprised there aren't more pictures up yet (unless there was a non-disclosure agreement).

Since the display model will be at the US Nationals, I may have to attend just for that!! (and details of the new FW 190 series )

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Isn't it amazing that for 1/48th modellers we do not see an F-4 for years after the Hasegawa F-4s and now two companies issue new moulds. Goes in cycles I guess.

I think the ZM kit will be the same situation as when Hasegawa first issued their series. I thought I was happy with the Monogram kits but then I saw the Hasegawa ones. Crap, now I have a stack of them.

From the first picture it does not look like there are a lot of internals which I believe is a ZM hallmark but I guess we will see what gets issues. Not sure if I am excited or scared of this news.

FWIW, here is the translation of the poster on the right side by a colleague of mine with the blue title and gray numbered entries. Warning: It is a little underwhelming :)

"It says from the top:

PROCESS TABLE

1. Base painting

2. Pre-shading painting A

3. Pre-shading painting B

4. Pre-shading painting C

5. Highlight

6. Cutting out decals

7. Finishing of ?????

Part of 7 is not visible.."

Edited by Janissary

Exciting news for sure. It doesn't much matter what variants come, I'll get one...or more. Though, the whole range would be awesome. Building the Academy C now and its a great kit if not a little wonky with some lazy engineering decisions...still very nice.

My problem with a ZM release though is they need to fix some issue present on older kits. Building the He 219 has been a headache with some fit issues...but worse is the micro flash/mold seams on EVERY SINGLE PART in the kit...if they do the whole internal structure thing i just hope its not a pain in the rear to close up

Here is the page that contain both of the photos above:

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/sentiment/oyajiblog_067.html

Outside of what might be hidden in the Japanese text in those pages, I can't see any additional info pertaining to F-4. Maybe somebody else could spot some additional phantom related bits?

It can never hurt to have more phantoms, but with what Academy has done, don't you think what could have been Z/M's potentially big phantom splash is now not too exciting anymore? The jump from Hase to Academy has been big (with Academy seemingly in position to making long nosed phantoms). I can't see what Z/M could do that would be another quantum leap from what now exists. Thoughts?

I'm having a hard time believing this is a good business decision given Academy's recent moves. I know the Phantom is an evergreen subject, but they'd probably have done much better to do them in 1/32 if they were going to do them at all.

...they'd probably have done much better to do them in 1/32 if they were going to do them at all.

A 1/32 F-4B/N would be awesome IMHO. Throw in an "S" and 1/32 would have a well rounded selection of Spooks when you combine the lot of them.

A 1/32 F-4B/N would be awesome IMHO. Throw in an "S" and 1/32 would have a well rounded selection of Spooks when you combine the lot of them.

An FGR.1 or 2 in 1:32 scale would be killer.

I'd be willing to bet that it is not a new kit at all and it was there as a demonstration kit for a modelling/ painting class.

I'll take that bet ... how much?

(but then, I actually read the blog. :rolleyes: )

Gene K

I'd be willing to bet that it is not a new kit at all and it was there as a demonstration kit for a modelling/ painting class.

i guess the total opposite, as i've never have seen a kit with clear parts being gray plastic as the rest of the kit...excepted when manufacturer shows firsts sprue shots or a new model test fitting...

According to the text near the bottom of the page, they're going to be revealing it at the IPMS 2015 Convention. Anybody want to volunteer to take some pictures? :whistle:/>

Yes, I read that same announcement at another site.