QRA/Zulu Alert F-4Es with High Performance Centerline

For years I've told people that at Ramstein even after we got the F-15-style High Performance Centerline tanks, when our F-4Es were being prepped to go up on alert the centerlines were removed and 370s installed on the wings. That was because there were interlocks that prevented firing the forward Sparrows with the centerline tank was installed. That's how I remembered it, anyway.

But a friend of mine who was stationed there at Ramstein at the same time I was got a photo of 68-0531 at Zulu/QRA with the HPC centerline installed! I like being proven wrong because it's often very interesting. So for those of you who want to model an F-4E with full missile load and only a centerline after approximately 1985, you can!

Here's Scott Wolfe's photo:

68-0531%20Zulu_zpsqejo75pn.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Left the Stein in mid 80's and never saw anything but 370's on Zulu alert or else where but when I rotated state side I noticed the NAVY ( or maybe the MARINE ) birds carried that C/L tanks frequently .

Never herd of the lock out but it sounds like it could be a safety item.

Cheers, Christian

Here is something relevant to the topic (albeit Navy Phantoms):

https://mbasic.facebook.com/notes/pete-wenman-aviation-art/the-great-centre-line-tank-debate/144508513183/

It suggests Navy phantoms kept their fuel tanks during an engagement even with sparrows being fired. I wonder if there is something specific to the E that required fuel tanks to be jettisoned when firing a sparrow. Can't think of anything. I had read about this fuel tank / sparrow issue in passing, but somehow I remember the issue was with the rear sparrows, not the front ones. Not sure why I remember that way.

I think, but am not positive, that I have read it both ways at different times, Janissary.

One was that if there were front Sparrows, the blast of the rocket motors was dangerous for the fuel tank. The other was that the rear Sparrows would hit the tank with the fins at they flew by.

Through the whole time, though, you can find USN/USMC birds with just two in front, just two in the rear, or all four Sparrows loaded. It seems that the Naval community goes by the theory that it had to do with the center of gravity requirements. sort of like the MERs moving back or forward as needed for balance.

Quick Reaction Alert. Don't know why its called Zulu by the Americans though

QRA could be air-to-air (Zulu) or nuclear strike (Victor). I don't know the origins of using Victor and Zulu. Our Zulu jets at Ramstein always flew with the callsigns "Lima Mike" and some numbers, I don't know where that came from either.