Need some help with a Flanker variant

I'm looking to start building my 1/48 Eduard Su-27UB. I also happen to have a Chinese kit for the Su-35/37 prototype from a company called Mini Hobbie, as well as the SOL conversion. Mini Hobbie gives you a bootlegged Academy Flanker with an extra sprue which has parts for the canards and provisions for the vectoring nozzles. Most of the Mini parts lame. The SOL conversion has everything you would expect with the tall vertical stabs and front canopy vac form.

I'd like to build my kit with the canards and possibly the tall tails. Which variant of the two seater would this be? Is their even a two-seater with the canards and/or tall tails?

Thanks,

Chris

The two-seater with tall, square-tipped fins is the Su-30MKK - operated by China, Vietnam, Uganda, Venezuela and Russia....

Su-30MKK%20046.JPG

Build here.

The two-seater with canards & Thrust Vector Control (TVC) nozzles - but not the tall fins - is the Su-30MKI - operated by India, Malaysia, Algeria and Russia.......

su-30_052.jpg

Build here.

You choose....

Ken

PS - Shout if you need any more help.

Edited by Flankerman

Ken,

All hail the Flankerman. Thanks for your help. I was having a difficult time figuring out what was what. I'm going the MKI route.

Are there any other exterior differences between the -27UB and rhe -30MKI that are worth correct info?

Thanks,

Chris

two seater with tall tails and canards is named Su-35Ub. IIRC there's only one airframe build. and it's the property of KNNAPO. but the scheme is rather nice.

Edited by mingwin

Mingwin is correct - I forgot about the Su-35UB - but that was a one-off and never entered service.

Are there any other exterior differences between the -27UB and rhe -30MKI that are worth correct info?

As well as the canards and IFR probe and retractable lights, the MKI has a twin-wheel nose gear and TVC engine nozzles.

Unlike the MKK, the MKI has an increased-area area fin by means of an increase in the chord of the rudder on a 'standard' Su-27UB fin....

Standard Su-27UB fin.....

fin_su-27ub.jpg

Increased area Su-30MKI fin....

fin_su-30mki.jpg

Increased area Su-30MKK fin.....

fin_su-35.jpg

There are differences in the cockpit as well - Google Su-30MKI cockpit for photos.

My build of a 1/72 scale Su-30MKI and Su-30MKM is here.

Happy Flankering!

Ken

Ken, great info, thanks. I too have several questions regarding this topic, but I will prepare my questions separately. One quick question though that has been bugging me. Between all the tandem two-seater but no canards versions of the Su-27 family, is there only a single neck type (i.e., area behind the cockpit, in front of the wings)? I am talking about the area that gives the cobra look to the tandem two seaters.

I am looking at both kits as well as photos of the real aircrafts. Su-27UB looks a little flat while Su-30 onward seem to have a more aggressive looking, angled down neck (from back to front). Is this so? I can't tell if there is that difference or if the different styles tail fins you illustrated are playing games with my eyes.

The multi-role Su-30 - in both its Su-30MKK from KnAAPO and Su-30MKI from IAPO guises - evolved from the Su-27UB trainer variant and has the same canopy and spine (or 'neck').

There might be differences in the various kits - but the real thing has the same profile.

Ken

Thank you for the info. I have been doing a lot thinking lately. I have decided to go with Academy plastic Su-27UB. Hobby Boss' kit is probably right around the corner, but I am not sure when exactly it will be out. Also, from what I see, it is not a quantum leap over Academy. So I am now shopping for Eduard's Su-27UB package. Hope to find somebody who might be interested in this.

Edited by Janissary