How do you hold an airbrush?

On several occasions now, I have been told that I hold the airbrush in a strange way. Here is a snapshot of how I hold it:

airbrush.png

and the video:

I use my thumb to press and pull the trigger. I started looking at how others do it and to my surprise I have found almost nobody holding it the way I do. I tried switching to a more conventional (index finger on the trigger) hold, but it just simply feels weird and I cannot control the air flow.

So I was curious how you hold your airbrush. Conventional, like me, or any other way?..

Edited by Janissary

Like that but my thumb is underneath the AB. For my Iwata Neo w/Trigger action I hold it like a pistol but use my middle finger for the action and my index rides along the body "pointing" at the subject...Also with the standard AB at times, when my hand issues act up, I switch and use my Thumb for the action and grasp the moisture trap as if it were a pistol grip.

But it doesn't matter how you grip it the results are what matter....

You're holding your airbrush much the same way that Brett Green does over on Hyperscale, except he has his index finger under the airbrush too. And, you can't argue with the way Brett does it with all the books he has on building models!

Interesting. I did not know that my way was unusual until hearing that from several people.

After long a/b sessions (e.g., after an hour of non-stop shading), I feel the strain in my fingers and the need to flex and shake my hand to relieve the tension. I am now trying to figure out whether the way I hold the a/b contributes significantly to this. Is it normal to get such strain after an hour of very controlled painting session? I assumed all along this is to be expected but now I am not sure.

Viper, if I understand your description, the way you hold it sounds awfully strange :) Are you pressing and pulling with the middle finger (double action) or just pulling? I tried to visualize what you do but it seems difficult to work with that. Interesting...

Viper, if I understand your description, the way you hold it sounds awfully strange :)/> Are you pressing and pulling with the middle finger (double action) or just pulling? I tried to visualize what you do but it seems difficult to work with that. Interesting...

Talking only about the Pistol Style grip Airbrush with a Trigger. My middle finger is on the trigger and index rides along the body.

With the Trigger style action the initial trigger pull releases the air. Pulling the trigger further back the needle is engaged to start the paint flow..

Like most, I use my index finger to pull the trigger. When I get tired after an hour or so, I use my thumb (with my index finger resting under the airbrush). I'll only use my thumb if I don't need to do detail work though. For finer painting, I have to use my index. You seem to be pinching the trigger with your thumb on it and your index helping push the trigger back for more control. That's a pretty interesting way of doing it. I may give it a try when I need to give my index some time to rest.

Rob

I also hold my airbrush in the "conventional way", with my thumb on the side and index finger on the trigger. Although your way obviously works very well, I see a couple of disadvantages, having tried it myself last night for the first time.

1) Getting close to areas like wing roots, etc.. Your hand gets in the way at the bottom, rather than just the hose which can be pulled to one side or the other.

2) Sensitivity when pushing and pulling the trigger. My thumb is nowhere close to my index finger for dexterity and precision.

3) Vertical location of paint cup. I can keep the paint cup in the vertical position with my hand vertical, rather than sideways. I found that I kept tipping the cup sideways with my thumb on the trigger.

Like the others have said, go with it if you are comfortable holding your airbrush that way, but I recommend giving the conventional way a try.