The first humans in North America

I wonder if early humans came to North American 25,000 years ago across the ice bridge because they were curious.....or they were running from an aggressive tribe or perhaps their population numbers were causing them to "move 5 miles down the road to set up a new village" to deal with their growing populations. They also say early populations in North America probably migrated by boat......as they were people that lived off the sea.

Recently in British Columbia footprints were found on Calvert Island that could be oldest in North America. Radiocarbon dating of debris next to the footprints shows footprints are 13,200 years old.

Foot prints story

footprint.jpg

I wonder if early humans came to North American 25,000 years ago across the ice bridge because they were curious.....or they were running from an aggressive tribe or perhaps their population numbers were causing them to "move 5 miles down the road to set up a new village" to deal with

I believe they were influenced by the ice growth that slowly expanded South.

They kept a couple of steps ahead of it.

It's funny: One can say that the first Americans (U.S.) were Canadians w00t.gif .

I must admit, it sort of taxes my imagination to consider the development of Homo Sapiens' territory out of Africa a couple of million years ago. OK, it was a very gradual thing, but Northern Europe must have been an eye-opener!

" 'See a bit more of the world', you said; 'Get out of this endless, scorching heat', you said; 'It'll be FUN', you said...!"

What an amazing time that was.....no borders......you could go anywhere you wanted.

Not to quibble a fine point, but in your first post you speculated that perhaps they were running from another aggressive tribe. Sounds an awful lot like borders to me. Just saying that I don't think borders are a modern man concept, or even a man made concept. It's natural to have aggressives and non-aggressivse and those that protect spaces. I doubt very seriously one tribe was openly welcome to go take the stock piles of food from another tribe after that tribe went out and risked life and limb working to collect that food. So, yeah there may not have been maps and "borders" per se, but I doubt it was just go and do what you wanted where ever you wanted, without fighting for it at least.

Bill

I think were created borders when humanity settled and became farmers. When you are stationary, and depending on the area close to you for food, especially if you produce the food yourself with your hard labor, then you are going to want to defend that food from freeloaders who

do not partake in the creation of said food.

During the hunder-gatherer stage, man was nomadic and there was no attachment to a certain piece of land, so there were no borders.

25000 years ago, agriculture had not yet been invented, but 13-12000 years ago it was, and was starting to spread.

Edited by erik_g

I think were created borders when humanity settled and became farmers. When you are stationary, and depending on the area close to you for food, especially if you produce the food yourself with your hard labor, then you are going to want to defend that food from freeloaders who

do not partake in the creation of said food.

During the hunder-gatherer stage, man was nomadic and there was no attachment to a certain piece of land, so there were no borders.

25000 years ago, agriculture had not yet been invented, but 13-12000 years ago it was, and was starting to spread.

Yes, I guess in that respect it's true to say no borders. But you could also I guess look at it as moving borders. One group might migrate and move around to the next food source etc... But around that group I would imagine there was an area of protection from other groups that might infringe upon their space. Sort of like packs of animals work. They may not have a set place that is theirs, but they definitely set up borders when they are doing what they are doing. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

Bill

Wouldn't they have been Alaskans? smile.gif

I was thinking on the Eastern Seaboard area where our (U.S.) ice age began that would carve out our Midwest and eventually end where we (U.S.) now call Lake Pend Oreille.

The place where the giant glaciers parked and the reason Lake Pend Oreille is over 460m deep.

What is all this nonsense, you do realize we were put here by alien ships as a food stock. When they travel by, they pick some of us up to replenish their stores. :wacko:

This is pretty cool stuff, I like reading the history of man and how they where able to survive, though a short survival.

Robert

Not to quibble a fine point, but in your first post you speculated that perhaps they were running from another aggressive tribe. Sounds an awful lot like borders to me. Just saying that I don't think borders are a modern man concept, or even a man made concept. It's natural to have aggressives and non-aggressivse and those that protect spaces. I doubt very seriously one tribe was openly welcome to go take the stock piles of food from another tribe after that tribe went out and risked life and limb working to collect that food. So, yeah there may not have been maps and "borders" per se, but I doubt it was just go and do what you wanted where ever you wanted, without fighting for it at least.

Bill

You do raise some very interesting points Bill.

With regards to borders......I was referring to the first humans to enter North America (speculated time is about 25,000 years ago). For people in that time......it was a period of tribes and I'm sure there was aggressive tribes and peaceful tribes in Asia where they came from. I think there is a difference between tribal boundaries and modern borders with border patrols watching every mile of a border for intruders. Running from an aggressive tribe means they are pushing you out of your traditional territory with raiding parties. Basically they are bad neighbours and you've decided to move to a more peaceful location away from those neighbours. As has been stated....25,000 years ago there wasn't any farming and people were pretty mobile.....so it was easier to move to avoid hostile neighbours.

The first people in North America would not find any borders or tribal boundaries, because there was no people....it was an empty continent. These were the people I was referring to.....they were moving into an unpopulated continent.