Hemi Interceptor

Hello all,

I rarely build car models but I wanted to work on something other than a plane for a change. I love the Mad Max movies so I thought an updated Interceptor would look cool.

Here is my inspiration

Interceptor800_zpsexw1l8jj.jpg

This is the kit that I started with

01_zpsszefrimm.jpg

It is a curbside kit so it doesn't have an engine and all the details on the bottom are simplified which is just the way I like my car kits.

The first job was to make it a right side drive.

02_zpsvoigxct4.jpg

The two sides were cut out leaving the middle in place.

03_zps4k6pce8a.jpg

Then reattached and puttied.

04_zpsiapjh7zh.jpg

05_zpstrg0nxph.jpg

Here it is painted up.

06_zpsbjwgdqxq.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good, especially for what you will be able to see when the body is on.

The next step was to continue with the right side drive by moving the peddles over. I just covered up the old holes and glued them to the other side.

08_zpsmg4utva3.jpg

You can see in this picture that they molded the seats in the same vinyl that they molded the tires in. That is a bit of a pain to get rid of the seams. I wish these would have been molded in styrene.

I also worked on the tires.

07_zps0bqotlhh.jpg

They may be a little to dirty.

Next I started work on the body of the car. A piece of styrene rod was glued to the roof of the vehicle so that there would be and edge for me to glue the spoiler to.

09_zps8rvg3pyl.jpg

I cut about 20 spoilers out of a for sale sign before I got one that fit and I was happy with. This was glued to the roof.

10_zps56rmp7uu.jpg

11_zpsugybwv1x.jpg

12_zpsouaegcnp.jpg

I also worked on the interior.

13_zpsvreiq4ly.jpg

14_zpsgcc5vhue.jpg

The M-16 was left over from Sheriff Roscoe's car kit that I built for Silly Week a couple of years ago.

That is pretty much where the kit is now. I have done a couple of rounds of Bondo and sanding to fair in the spoiler and have begun to work on the hood scoop. Hopefully I will have some time today to work on that a little more.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Els

I am going to try and paint it the same as the original. As for the lights, I thought that I had some round lights in my spare parts bin, but after finding them they are the more modern rectangular lights. They look good on the car but I think I am going to have to go with some older round lights just for the nostalgia. Since they are a simple shape I think I will just use some clear plastic and a dowel to heat form them.

Els

Today some time was spent on the hood. It is not just a box shape, it has a lot of different angles to it. I started by attaching some basic parts to get the shape.

15_zps2afkf4bi.jpg

16_zpsgyopjmav.jpg

17_zpsyplctn6i.jpg

When this has dried I will fill in around the areas with some epoxy putty to try and get the shape. There are very few images of the hood from the top during the movie and the ones that were there were not very clear. I have looked around on the net and found a lot of pictures of cars that were built by fans. The hoods on those cars are not all the same. Since this is a Whif, I guess that whatever I come up with will be fine.

Back to modelling...

• 3 weeks later...

DrifterDon, that hood is pretty close and in hindsight I wish that I would have just bought one of those and moved on. I have been spending waayyyyy to much time on this silly scoop. At one point I was so frustrated with it that I stopped working on it and built a BSG kit and a half. After the fourth round of reworking it this is where it is at.

100_7680_zpsidocvebf.jpg

It still needs a lot more work but it is quickly approaching "Good enough".

I also started working on a small base, mostly just because I want to make the sign from the movie that shows how many deaths had happened on the road.

20_zpseitklhbg.jpg

21_zps6avuhq40.jpg

Els

• 2 weeks later...

I am tired of working on this hood scoop.... It has gotten to the point of good enough and I put the first color on.

23_zpsd3e6lnj7.jpg

Tomorrow I will spray the red and blue.

Els

The red and blue colors were added today.

24_zpsj4i2ivhp.jpg

Since I was not able to find a Police car kit around here with the old style lights I decided to try and heat form some. The handle of my Xacto is about the size I need. Some plastic from the front of packaging was used for the lights.

25_zpsfaqwpfbi.jpg

This is what it looked like after heating and pulling over the handle of the Xacto.

26_zpssmglbpaf.jpg

Then I cut one to see how it would look.

27_zpsjy9wi9h0.jpg

And on the car.

28_zpsmtuueup5.jpg

Now I just need to build the bracket, the insides, and the bottom of the lights.

Els

I had some time to work on this today. Both lenses have been cut out and I will cut some plastic for the bottom.

29_zpsu2v54rhh.jpg

For the internals of the lights I used some old wheel halves and doodads from my box of spares. The plates for the bottom were also created.

31_zpsafx75n4i.jpg

The internals were painted up, they don't have to be very detailed because not much will be seen through the colored covers. I also added some brass bars for the mounting bracket.

33_zpsuxqt8o8h.jpg

Here are the lights together. I just need to put a couple of cotes of future on them to shine them up. After that I will paint some chrome around the bottom.

34_zpsrc4nzzug.jpg

Here they are sitting on the top of the car to check the size. I just need to make some mounting brackets to attach them to the top of the car.

35_zpsmmunce4t.jpg

Els

Time to start making the siren for the top of the car. I folded a piece of paper in half so that I could draw one side and then unfold it to have both sides match. Kind of like the old paper soldier thing.

100_7756_zpsa8ilfjv7.jpg

After modifying it a bit I think I have a size and shape that I can live with.

100_7758_zpsktnzvrza.jpg

I used that as a template to cut out some plastic sheet and started adding parts so that it looked right. I also started working on the brackets for the light bar.

100_7762_zps2avwyhw5.jpg

The siren is together and puttied. I am sure it will need more work after primed. I am not looking forward to attaching the light bar to the top of the car. I should have done all this stuff before painting.

100_7782_zpsvjh95u2v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Don,

I am not looking forward to attaching those lights to the top of the car.

It may not look like much but I spent about 4 hours on the kit today. A bracket was made for the speaker. The overhead radio console was also built up.

40_zpsipwhj6km.jpg

I hit it with some paint and glued it to the window piece.

43_zpswwlgcno9.jpg

44_zpsyybeuhfp.jpg

I forgot to paint the front and rear pieces when I was working on the body so they had to be painted.

41_zpsjwefna9k.jpg

They looked like they would fit pretty good (I found out later that the front did not fit very well at all).

42_zpsomvge6th.jpg

In the movie the door handles and the trim around the windows appears to be chrome. I decided to use some Bare Metal Foil for this. I hate using Bare Metal Foil. It looks like it should be easy to use but I always have a hard time with it and I don't know why. The concept is pretty simple. Stick it on, burnish it down, and cut away the excess. I guess I just need more experience with it.

45_zps911hzb1g.jpg

I had some extra MFP badge decals that I thought I put in the box to use on this kit. Now I can't find them anywhere, so the next part of this project will be making the decals for the car.

Els

• 2 weeks later...

I am calling this one done unless I can find the MFP decals that I lost. If I ever find those I will also airbrush a little dust over it. I printed up some badges but they looked to dark once I put them on the red. I was a bit surprised because I used white decal paper and the red still made the badges to dark. It has a few problems but overall I am happy with the end result.

100_7969_zps7vabieyj.jpg

I will post more pictures in the display section.

Thanks for following along.

Now back to the other projects I have going on.

Els