1/48 Wolfpack T-38A TuAF

I have been working on the WP T-38A. This is what I am planning to build:

http://combatace.com/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-30257-0-24936700-1310145536.jpg

I am using this kit (comes with resin seats and a PE set):

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10283103

I will be using Caracal Decals. After a long F-4E build, I needed a therapy build and the decals I received from Kursad made my decision easy.

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48051.html

The kit is fine, but I have found plenty of issues with the instruction sheet so take your time with it. The plastic looks good with good surface detail, but the front instrument panel is too tall and has to be shortened quite a bit for the IP coaming to fit nicely under the windshield (many other builds also point this out). Other than that, no major fit issues.

I tried to clean up all the parts and paint the intakes before assembly:

IMG_7846.JPG

The instrument panels and seats are great, but the side consoles and walls are not very detailed:

IMG_7842.JPG

I used the kit decals for the IPs. It was tricky getting them conform to the surface details. I ended up using lacquer thinner to really get the decals settle.

IMG_7844.JPG

It took some elbow grease and putty to clean up the seams. I used Vallejo plastic putty for almost all of the putty work. Also, from previous builds, I have seen that if the panel line and rivet details are not restored after sanding, the washes end up being very uneven. So, now I am working on rescribing all panel lines and deepening all the rivets (see top surfaces of the wings). The kit's rivets are so tiny and closely spaced that this whole thing is taking a lot of time. There is still a lot to do and is probably turn out to be the most tedious part of the build:

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

As I mentioned, there is now quite a bit of work to restore the faint as well as lost panel lines, and punching the rivets. It seems doable with a little bit of patience. The one section that will be problematic is the joint between the front part of the wing (I don't think it is a slat) and the middle part. The two surfaces are not at the same height, and I will need to putty/sand/rescribe carefully around that section. Hopefully it won't be too painful.

Edited by Janissary

Very nice build of a goodlooking aircraft.

I would advise using 2k auto lacquer gloss for the instruments to simulate the glass look. Just carefully put a small drop of the gloss on each instrument. The 2k auto gloss has a very high shine and ability to hold on vertical surfaces.

Thank you guys. It's a neat little aircraft, but it looks like this build is going to take some time due to the surface work I need to go through. But I really like the shape of this plane so hopefully I won't lose my mojo anytime soon.