Quick Q, engine harness in 1:72 scale

Hello,

Just need some opinions on the appropriate dimension for engine wires/harness in 1:72 scale (in general) I am looking at some

Albion Alloy rods/tubes and they have the whole range from 0.1mm up to in excess of 1mm which i believe is too thick. Thanks 70.gif

Detailing wire is probably your best friend here. The lead variety is the most flexible and goes down to 0.2mm (Plusmodel); but the very narrow gauges are quite fragile. Also, you can roll it into a flat strip for scale cable ties if you like that sort of thing. Even the thinnest rod, brass or other, will be more rigid and awkward to form an ignition set-up with, I would think.

No doubt the auto- and railroad-modelling guys will have some ideas too.

Here is a link for a UK supplier, just to give an idea of the products available:

Modelling Tools

Some work in a 1/48 EF2000 gear bay with various gauges of lead and brass wire from the above:

NGB3.jpg

Detailing wire is probably your best friend here. The lead variety is the most flexible and goes down to 0.2mm (Plusmodel); but the very narrow gauges are quite fragile. Also, you can roll it into a flat strip for scale cable ties if you like that sort of thing. Even the thinnest rod, brass or other, will be more rigid and awkward to form an ignition set-up with, I would think.

No doubt the auto- and railroad-modelling guys will have some ideas too.

Here is a link for a UK supplier, just to give an idea of the products available:

Modelling Tools

Some work in a 1/48 EF2000 gear bay with various gauges of lead and brass wire from the above:

NGB3.jpg

That`s a very interesting link you got there, thanks alot. For that you get to pick the smiley you like the best !

smileyfeelings.jpg?w=474

And about pushrods, any opinions on those? Looks to be a bit thicker than the engine harness.

Just my two cents here. Electrical wiring in 1/72nd scale is almost too small to replicate accurately. The detail in Chippy's picture is in 1/48th scale and most of the "lines" in there are hydraulic lines and not electrical lines. Hydraulic lines tend to be larger than electrical lines and are much easier to replicate. Good luck on your search and since I have a few 1/72nd subjects in the stash, let me know if you find something small enough. I don't know about you but this old man is glad he has his Opti-Visor for things like this! :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

• 1 year later...