Simplest 1/48 Jet Kits

The "One day build" thread (link) really got me wondering about the simplest kits around. So, what are some of the simplest 1/48 jets out there? Obviously the answer can be very subjective but that is ok. I tried to look this up but could not come up with a dedicated list of this sort. Just to guide the thread a little bit, I am looking for the following (but don't feel too limited by this):

- Minimal part count, minimal flash, and good fit are what I mean by "simple" (all subjective, I know...)

- Military fighters, X-planes, drones, jets, even rockets are all fine. Not interested in props, helos, or civilian.

- Engraved details would be preferable.

- Decal quality not so important.

- 1/48 is the preferred scale, but if the subject is large, 1/72 might be fine.

Thanks!

Edited by Janissary

The "One day build" thread (link) really got me wondering about the simplest kits around. So, what are some of the simplest 1/48 jets out there? Obviously the answer can be very subjective but that is ok. I tried to look this up but could not come up with a dedicated list of this sort. Just to guide the thread a little bit, I am looking for the following (but don't feel too limited by this):

- Minimal part count, minimal flash, and good fit are what I mean by "simple" (all subjective, I know...)

- Military fighters, X-planes, drones, jets, even rockets are all fine. Not interested in props, helos, or civilian.

- Engraved details would be preferable.

- Decal quality not so important.

- 1/48 is the preferred scale, but if the subject is large, 1/72 might be fine.

Thanks!

1/48 Tamiya MiG-15. Finish it in Tamiya's rattle can bare metal silver for even more simplicity.

1/48 Tamiya MiG-15. Finish it in Tamiya's rattle can bare metal silver for even more simplicity.

Oh yes, this is a good choice, I forgot about that.

Hase a-4 and revell f-18 e/f

Those would still be involved builds for me :)

Looking at the link in my first post, the Glencoe X-1 (http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2014/02/mach-busting-in-wild-blue-yonder-bell-x.html) looks super simple in terms of part count. Which actually got me pretty excited. Revell's Reaper (http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-4865.pdf) is relatively straightforward I guess (walking back on what I said about props).

I thought Kinetic's T-45 and Alpha Jet were simple, but from some of the builds I've seen, they are not straightforward.

Are there others?

Revell F-86D kits are pretty simple. Not sure if they are exactly 24hour doable being they are natural metal. But they do build up pretty quickly and hassle free in my experience.

:cheers:

Monogram F9F-5 is a fairly quick build, probably be done in a day

Another vote for the Monogram F9F-5. It's a great kit. Another kit would be the Monogram F-14 Tomcat...oh wait....that's only because I've built a billion of them. :D Actually, I'd like to see if I could get one done in a day. Now that would be a challenge!

Edited by Darren Roberts

Monogram F9F-5 is a fairly quick build, probably be done in a day

Definitely this.

If we were talking 1/72, the Airfix BAE Hawks and Gnat can be knocked out fairly quickly (depending on paint scheme.) I'm not sure how the 1/48 Hawk is by comparison, I *believe* it was still fairly simple but may be remembering wrong.

Hobby Boss YF-23. There's ... very, very little plastic in this kit.

Monogram F-5E or F. (Probably the F-20, depending on how you fill the gap between the tail section and main fuselage.)

Trumpeter T-38 if done out of the box... It may not be a totally one day build, but it fits together pretty well and the color-scheme is easy if you go for a one color paintjob (i.e. white for an old USAF bird or black for either a 9th RW jet or the Holloman based F-117 unit). Plus you have no weaponry to worry about. Sure, it may be a half inch too long for the given scale, but it looks like a T-38 when done.

TT38%20SAC3_zpsyseigiod.jpg

Wolfpack's T-38 might be another good option as well if you want something with a little better detail.

Edited by Jay Chladek

If you want simple, try some of the old 1/48 Hawk kits. Many were later re-released by Testors. Their T-33 is a simple build and still looks pretty good when built up. Again, a simple build, although very much lacking in detail is their Banshee. Some of the old Fujimi kits (and their Academy clones) while not the most detailed of kits and being more like 1/50 instead of 1/48 are generally pretty simple kits and are easy builds. Lindberg's jets (I'm thinking A4D-1) are, again, easy build and somewhat lacking in detail. The A4D-1 having the distinction of being the only (semi-) available A4D-1 in this scale.

If you want simple, try some of the old 1/48 Hawk kits. Many were later re-released by Testors. Their T-33 is a simple build and still looks pretty good when built up. Again, a simple build, although very much lacking in detail is their Banshee. Some of the old Fujimi kits (and their Academy clones) while not the most detailed of kits and being more like 1/50 instead of 1/48 are generally pretty simple kits and are easy builds. Lindberg's jets (I'm thinking A4D-1) are, again, easy build and somewhat lacking in detail. The A4D-1 having the distinction of being the only (semi-) available A4D-1 in this scale.

The Lindberg kit isn't actually a true A4D-1. It has the ribbed rudder while the A4D-1 had a solid rudder. It's also WAY undersized. I built a Skyhawk from every manufacturer. I did Lindberg's as -2 testbed.

2369201_orig.jpg