Hi all,

I came across so many question about spraying, masks, maintenance, resin/resindust, toxic dust and fumes that I thought it would be a good idea to make another pinned topic about that, since so many newbies are exposed to serious stuff and don´t realize that. Things like "Don´t buy a cheap mask because 10$ can make the difference between lungcancer and a good life" for example and in hospital, one would regret not having spent the extrabucks.

So hey guys/girls, what do you think? Any serious ideas that come to mind about safety when modelling?

Just an idea and I think it should be pinned, ´cause there are so many who come here to learn something, so why not about "doing it right without getting sick"? Guess, that´s at least as important as knowing how to fix an airbrush. Happy modeling! :cheers: :)

István

It's better to use "gas masks" that have filters that absorb organic solvents and pigments. The "normal" mask that look like mask from a doctor will only block the color pigments from getting into your lungs while the hazardous solvents came into your lungs. This masks are avaiable in any hardware store, but they are quiet expensive. I paid 30E for mine, but it's ok. No more headaches or other pains from airbrushing.

Always wear safety googles while using a Proxxon/Dremel tool. You only have 2 eyes, and without vision you can fortget modeling. Furthermore, if you only loose one eye it's quiet difficult to modell, because you have no real "deep vision"

ok, another round..some real basic tips...

- Always cut away from your body.

- Put away your x-tro knifes after work, especially if you have children. My father has a model train, and stored all the waggons on a cupboard. On top of this he stored an x-tro knife. He stored it there so I can reach it. So I wanted to look after the waggons on the board, pulled one out..the knife sliced my thumb up the the bone. Not something parents would imagine for their child, or? Furthermore blood stains are hard to remove :cheers:

- Don't store hazardous material like thinner in things that normally contain food. You might know what you put in, but does your wife/friend/child know it too?

- Wear rubber gloves if you work with thinners. They get absorb throught your skin. The skin gets attacked by this, and it will be absorb through the skin, and cause cancer. Furthermore you will not have this smel on you finger after you've worked with thinner.

I read a great article on this once called the "Toxicolgy of Modelling" or something like that... can't remember where.

Anyways, I think that it would be a great idea to have such an article pinned on the tools section. Problem with this tread is that we are all putting in random ideas. It just needs putting together into one easily found article.

I'm the new guy here tonight, but I think I have been modeling long enough to have some thoughts on the subject of safety. (built my first plastic model the summer of 1954 - Revell USS Missouri)

1. Common sense - Just don't do things that obviously will harm you in the long (or short) run.

2. Keep, maintain and USE the following equipment:

A. A good respirator (when sanding resin, working with chemicals, thinners and paints)

B. Rubber (surgeon's) gloves - (same reasons as A, just make sure they are compatable with what you are working with)

C. Safety glasses (especially when working with a Dremel tool or power drill - make sure they meet Federel Specs)

D. Fire extinguisher (keep one within reach of your area - I have a 10lb CO2 extinguisher mounted on one leg of my bench - a dry powder extinguisher will work as well but leaves a hell of a mess to clean up plus the powder doesn't do much for your lungs)

E. Respect and take care in how you use your hand tools - There are very few of us who have been in this hobby more than a couple of years that haven't managed to stab, slash or jab ourselves at least once. (Remember that when the unattended Exacto knive rolls off the bench or table Murphy has already decreed that 90% of the time it's going to land point first and of that percentage, 75% of the time it's going to land on your body).

Remember that this is a hobby and it's not worth hurting, maiming or crippling your self over. Just think about what you are doing or are going to do.

Welcome! :cheers: Yes! That´s about all I would have listed, but the fireextinguisher is a new one! Makes for a funny picture when a newbie buys all the stuff we recommend and arrives back home, his family sure thinks he´s building pipebombs in the basement. Tweezers, Saws, tons of sharp blades, wires, putty, respirator, gloves, safety glasses... :crying:

Now that should do. Did we forget something? Oooops: proper venting when airbrushing (do NOT smoke, of course, otherwise->boom!)

István

I read a great article on this once called the "Toxicolgy of Modelling" or something like that... can't remember where.

I remember reading that - I think it was in Scale Aircraft Modelling in the late 80s or early 90s - must look it up.

I remember reading that - I think it was in Scale Aircraft Modelling in the late 80s or early 90s - must look it up.

This would be cool to have! Guys, if someone else comes up with something similar, please post it here!

István

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, here´s another one, because there are still folks working with non-safe masks.

If you really consider to live long and healthy, buy this type (they are slightly different in every country, but you get the idea):

• 1 month later...

In light of what happened to Mario, I think is safe to say that safety glasses should be worn at all times, not just when power tools are involved.

I know I do.

Common sense, but make sure you get a pair that are comfortable, and do not distort vision.....that way, you'll actually wear them.

This can be found on Hyperscale :

http://www.clubhyper.com/toxicologyfm_1.htm

:wave:

Stef

• 1 month later...

Paint bottle safety: I used to just shake the paint bottle (sometimes still do if I'm absent minded) and put the top back on as soon as I'm finished. NOW I clean the threads on the bottle and the cap, and stir the paint instead of shaking.

Had a Testors MM enamel bottle shatter in my hand while using the "water pump pliers" to open it. I'd let the threads get gunked up to where I needed a tool to get the top off. When the bottle broke, the sharp edge made a neat shallow cut in the web of my left thumb. Healed without a scar, but it bled a LOT. All over the model I was working on.

My solution was to buy one of those cheap "strap wrenches" at Osco or KMart, and use it to hold the bottle while I turn the top with the pliers. Because I still don't have all of the old bottles nicely cleaned up yet.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Paint bottle safety:  I used to just shake the paint bottle (sometimes still do if I'm absent minded) and put the top back on as soon as I'm finished.  NOW I clean the threads on the bottle and the cap, and stir the paint instead of shaking.

Had a Testors MM enamel bottle shatter in my hand while using the "water pump pliers" to open it.  I'd let the threads get gunked up to where I needed a tool to get the top off.  When the bottle broke,  the sharp edge made  a neat shallow cut in the web of my left thumb.  Healed without a scar, but it bled a LOT.  All over the model I was working on. 

My solution was to buy one of those cheap "strap wrenches" at Osco or KMart, and use it to hold the bottle while I turn the top with the pliers.  Because I still don't have all of the old bottles nicely cleaned up yet.

Jim

knock the bottle top sides gently against a brick wall to loosten the dried pain or invert the bottle and drop a little ammonia or thinners into the top. Ten minutes later, the bottle will open easily.

Nothing beats cleaning the bottle threads and top properly and decanting the paint into a mixing pallet for use.

:lol:

MikeJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi,im a 14 years old modeler.On my glue box it say:'' do not use in a non-ventilated area...this glue can give reproductive problem''!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Due to a complete and utter lack of "game", I don't worry about that one too much ;)

Glue can give you all kinds of problems, you cant have much fun reproducing if you have a lung cancer, can you? j/k So, if you sniffing glue, open the window.

- If you build a paint booth - use non-sparking fan motor. Paint fumes are highly flamable. You dont want your paintbooth double as a afterburner can.

- Protect your eyes around superglue. Unlike other, more viscous glues, it forms droplets that tend to fly off the brushes or toothpicks. (AKA teethpicks here in the North)

- Avoid round X-acto handles. They roll off the table. Invest in a flat handle.

- If you begin to smell the solvent while airbrushing and you are wearing the mask, you should have changed the filters 2-3 months ago.

and one more, unrelated to safety, when you wear latex gloves, wash and dry the gloves before touching the painted model. Even residual amount of powder may ruin the paintjob.

Regards

Z.S.

Zmey, I've got one better than a flat handle for your X-acto knife :cheers:

buy any cheap rectangular gum eraser and use that as it's cap. It's safe (the eraser has plenty of grip, so it doesn't slip out easily), and the flat shape will keep it from rolling! :worship:

Also: If you don't have any kind of storage container for your modelling supplies, GET ONE. "Sterelite" and "Rubbermaid" make all kinds of cheap organizing/ see-through drawer sets for desktops. Not only will it help to keep your bench a little more organized, you'll know exactly were everything is (including all the sharp objects, etc) They can be picked up for anything from $5-7 dollars, and the time and effort, and added organization are priceless :cheers:

Edited by Skull Leader