Broke the Aztek golden rule

Rule 1 broken: I forced the trigger on my Aztek (instead of freeing it with thinner as per ARC pinned post) and heard that infamous 'snap' as mechanism broke & trigger went floppy.

Rule 2 broken:Since I have a spare one, decided to open up the airbrush body to see why this happens & if it could be fixed.

Now I know I've been positive about my Aztek in these forums but frankly what I saw inside ain't going to win any design awards. The amount of clogged paint inside was unbelieveable - really, for an airbrush where you can't take apart to clean without voiding the warranty, they need to ensure no paint blows back inside. Second, the little plastic trigger link that broke is terribly flimsy. I disassembled all & gave a good clean in neat acetone. Could not believe how much gunk came out, esp around the spring in front of trigger.

Good news is that I fixed it :thumbsup: First I tried a large brass wire brace (see pic below), but that made the trigger too sticky, so I just replaced the small broken plastic lug with a small brass wire lug & oiled mechansim - it works quite well now, though not quite the same as it did before it broke. But I'm getting used to the new mode of operation. The main difference is when the adjustment wheel is turned fully to the left, a small amount of paint still comes out as where before you would only get air.

BTW, the following site was a God-send when all the bits fell out & I had to figure how they went back: http://www.master194.com/maquettes/autres/aztec.htm

Linkage1.jpg

All.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by Thommo
OUCH!!

Have not struck that problem as yet...

Good work Thommo, now I know who can repair mine when it breaks in the same manner  :worship:  :thumbsup:

Johno

Johno - you won't be stupid enough to give the trigger a big reef backwards, (despite feeling resitance) like I did :P I knew it might break, but just wanted to see what would happen.

My other theory now about Azteks is you can minimise the amount of paint blowing back into the body by ensuring the tips don't clog. Everytime I tried to spray with a clogged tip, I noticed heaps of paint getting back onto the plunger. This does not happen when it is spraying freely.

So diligent tip maintence is a must. I now make sure my tips are clear by first spraying water before I fill up with paint.

Here's another pic of the whole thing & what I did.

Edited by Thommo
OUCH!!

Have not struck that problem as yet...

Good work Thommo, now I know who can repair mine when it breaks in the same manner  :P  :thumbsup:

Johno

Johno - you won't be stupid enough to give the trigger a big reef backwards, (despite feeling resitance) like I did :P I knew it might break, but just wanted to see what would happen.

My other theory now about Azteks is you can minimise the amount of paint blowing back into the body by ensuring the tips don't clog. Everytime I tried to spray with a clogged tip, I noticed heaps of paint getting back onto the plunger. This does not happen when it is spraying freely.

So diligent tip maintence is a must. I now make sure my tips are clear by first spraying water before I fill up with paint.

but if the problem was all the gunked up paint inside, weren't you pretty much at a place where either you reef backwards on the trigger or have a trigger that won't move at all? Kind of sounds like a damned if you're do, damned if you don't

Always amazes me how much globbed up paint comes out when i clean it. Now I don't know how to tell if it's ever completely clean!! :worship:

but if the problem was all the gunked up paint inside, weren't you pretty much at a place where either you reef backwards on the trigger or have a trigger that won't move at all?  Kind of sounds like a damned if you're do, damned if you don't

Always amazes me how much globbed up paint comes out when i clean it.  Now I don't know how to tell if it's ever completely clean!! :thumbsup:

Karl - no... and yes, because if you follow the ARC pinned post, you hang the body vertical and fill end with lacquer thinner which frees up trigger mechanism.

But - that does not remove all the paint so eventually the trigger gets clogged again. There is probably a limit to how many times the ARC method will fix it - seems to me eventually you have to pull it apart & clean properly.

I dunked the whole lot in neat acetone in a jar, shook jar around & used a paint brush to brush out all loose paint - that really got the bugger clean let me tell you!

Edited by Thommo

Thommo

Have to agree with you there mate, the back pressure spraying through a clogged nozzle would cause a bigger paint build up than normal.

I spend a good deal of time ensuring the nozzles are clean, even to soaking them in Tamiya X-20 thinner for a day or so to completely clear the paint away.

It is all that technical pen training I got when I was a board drafter :cheers:

:thumbsup:

Johno

I figured my initial post would ignite the Aztek war again, but I really wanted to show other Aztek owners out there what happens when you force a jammed trigger & how to avoid it/fix it.

I agree Johnno & Mickey - if they made that trigger linkage stronger and found a way to stop paint blowing back into the body, or made the airbrush dismantable (I just invented a new word :wave: ) so it could be cleaned inside, I reckon Azteks would be as good as anything else. I especially like the shape/feel of the airbrush body.

;)

PS Mickey - does that girl in your Avatar need a shave - looks like she's got a 3 day growth on her face!

Edited by Thommo
Mine still works like a charm........five years and counting. ;)

I've actually broken 2 triggers in 3 years now, but mainly due to my own lack of tip maintenance I suspect, which forces paint back into the trigger mechansism.

Thommo

This is very true, the "feel" of the Aztek is comfortable indeed and they really are easy to maintain if you put the small amount of effort in.

I have been using my A470 for 6 years now, works very well indeed ;)

Habu, really mate, don't post in the thread if you do not have something positive to contribute to the thread, that comment was like a red flag and really gets the "I hate Aztek" war going again...

I reckon we all want to avoid that again!

:o

MikeJ

Hey come to think of it, mine's been kicking for 5 years now too -

well, 5 years since I got it - 4 years (actually a bit less than that) of use, considering a few 6 month deployments and other "trips" in between.

I have had to replace some tips though, that was before I found out you could take THOSE apart for a real thorough cleaning.