Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

:cheers: Hi everybody,

Well, I've finally had to begin my Flanker. I just could n't wait any longer.

The reasons for the delay are many and varied. For one, I don't own a digital camera and wanted to get some feedback from you guys during the progress.

Secondly I'm waiting for some aftermarket mods, resin cockpit (Neomega?), canopy improvement by Zactomodels and such like.

Finally I'd hoped to get as much reference material together as possible and although I have some, well, I'd kinda hoped for more.

The trouble is, seeing all these great Flankers on display here, the call of the big bird was too much to resist so ..........here we go! :worship:

I will take pics as I go but updates may be infrequent and sporadic, apologies for that in advance. (I model at a pace that would make Pete Fleichman seem positively frantic! :D )

The first item I have tackled is the IRST ball. I carved a scrap piece of resin to shape and used foil for the mirror, a quick coat of tinted Klear on the lens and it looks fine. When I get my Zactomodel kit I will have this piece spare and free to a good home (I'd already glued the piece in place when Chris posted pics of his kit <_< )

The next items I am attacking are the jet pipes. I like my jet pipes as anyone who's seen my Mudhen will know and although the Trumpeter pipes look pretty neat I've had to hack them about. I'm in the process of removing all of the raised blobs on the petals........WAY TOO BIG MAN!

While I'm at it, I'm also thinning the petals a little and reshaping the tips of the innermost ones.

N.B. An important detail I've discovered from some pics is that the afterburner flame holder rings seem to be the wrong way round. Check it out for yourselves but I for one am putting them in the opposite way to that suggested by Trumpeter. :lol:

So that is the progress to date. No pics yet but I'll post some as soon as I've got the film developed. Thanks for looking. :rolleyes:

geed

Black Box has a 1/32 cockpit for the Trumpeter jet. Not sure if you had seen or heard of it but figured you may want it soon as opposed to waiting on the Neomega one. Has Neomega announced one???

Cheers

mike

The NeOmega one is 'imminent'.

Alexei (Mr NeOmega) has finished the seat. He is waiting for his mate Boris to finish the tub.

As for flame holders and jetpipes .....

jetpipe_02.jpg

su-27_04.jpg

su-27_03.jpg

This one has the actuators uncovered...

jetpipe_01.jpg

Ken

:)

Hi guys,

Buster, thanks for the heads up on the BB cockpit tub. I had a look at it and it looks good. A couple of guys here on ARC have has fit problems with it over the front gear bay :( and I hoped the Neomega version might be better in that area.

Flankerman, thanks for the great jet pipe shots :lol:

The first pic shows my suspicions to be correct. Trumpeter do indeed have their instructions wrong on the flame holder. I checked and the kit part fits nicely the other way round but I'll have to work on what is effectively the "back" of the piece :cheers:

Yo, Spaced Marine...Hi B) I've started to work on the pipes cos from what I can see, all of the parts are there, they just need a little work. :wave: Since pictures speak a thousand words I'll hurry up with my photos.........should only be a week or two :thumbsup:

If you are interested in some other discrepancies( :thumbsup: ) you may wish to correct, there is a thread on LSP to which I added some problems that I had noticed:

Flanker tweaks...

The thread ended with some unanswered questions, such as the angle of the missile/wings...I got (and stayed) to busy to further investigate.

:lol:

:wave: Hey Zactoman, thanks for the link. Very informative. I had no idea that the intakes were so badly mishapen. :blink:

I think I'll see what can be done but I don't want to get into too much heavy modification as I just don't think my scratch building skills are up to it! :thumbsup:

As for the missile problems....well, I'm copping out :P I'd always planned to model the aircraft clean and may even ditch the under intake adaptors!

I've seen a couple of pics with just small stubs fitted onto the intakes and may try that. ;)

(This does of course mean that there will be some spare missiles up for grabs after my build is complete.) :cheers:

If this can help anybody out, let me know

B)

DOH! :)

Can anyone explain how to post pics please? :)

Yup - Click on 'Add Reply' - or as I have just done, click on 'Quote'.

Add some text.....

The scroll down to 'File Attachments',

Click 'Browse' - find your pic and post the path to it in the box (it should enter it automatically) - then click on Add Reply - you text and photo will then be uploaded to the ARC server,

Note that the max photo limit is 80k - and you can only add a single photo per post.

Alternatively, if the photo is already on the web - either on your own website, or somewhere else, you can enter the url pointing to it into the IMG location - just by clicking in the 'IMG' at the top of the reply page.

Using this method you can add as many IMG links as you like (because they are not uploaded to ARC's server).

When your post appears, these IMG's are embedded within the reply.

Good luck !

Ken

DOH!    :)

Can anyone explain how to post pics please?  :(

Yup - Click on 'Add Reply' - or as I have just done, click on 'Quote'.

Add some text.....

The scroll down to 'File Attachments',

Click 'Browse' - find your pic and post the path to it in the box (it should enter it automatically) - then click on Add Reply - you text and photo will then be uploaded to the ARC server,

Note that the max photo limit is 80k - and you can only add a single photo per post.

Alternatively, if the photo is already on the web - either on your own website, or somewhere else, you can enter the url pointing to it into the IMG location - just by clicking in the 'IMG' at the top of the reply page.

Using this method you can add as many IMG links as you like (because they are not uploaded to ARC's server).

When your post appears, these IMG's are embedded within the reply.

Good luck !

Ken

O.k........ :)

Let's give it a try......... :)

DSCN0051.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

YIPPEE!! :)

THANKS KEN :)

I don't know how I'd manage without you. :)

The previous image was the IRST ball. It looks o.k. in real size.

The macro has made the finish look a little blotchy, but it's really o.k.

I'll try and add another

DSCN0050.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Hey...this is easy!! :) (Thanks again Ken)

This pic is of the four jet pipe components.

I've just worked on each a little, re-shaping the petals, adding detail inside the cans and re-working the flame holder detail some.

As I said before........the nodules on the exterior of each jet pipe had to go.

See what you think :)

Dscn0053right.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

:) Just two more images for this batch............

Thanks for sticking with me :)

On this penultimate view you can make out some of the petal re-shaping I've done and also the small strips between the outer petals, apparent on some images of the full sizrd bird

Dscn0046right.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
sizrd

SIZRD..??! :(

:) I meant SIZED of course.........sorry :)

O.K. The last image looks into the flame holders. (I'll align the rings correctly before I glue them in place)

You can see that I've re-shaped the rings and added a thicker inner ring.

I've also added layers to the inside of the pipe which appear in many reference photos and finally, the piece of pipe for the igniter?.

Again, quite prominent in alot of pics.

So that's it for the first installment. I hope you like it. I'll try and sort out a camera of my own so that I can post other pics as the build progresses.

Thanks for looking.

Dscn0047right.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Hey Geedubelyer,

Nice lookin cans :thumbsup: !

You should pour rubber on em and start your own company! (Though Aires has announced thier upcoming release already...)

Couldn't wait for the Zactomodels IRST to show up in the mail eh? You'll need to sand some of the flange off the dome to make it work with my detail kit.

Looks like you're on you way to an impressive build, look forward to more!!!

:thumbsup:

(This thread should probably be moved to In-progress forum)

Looking good on the cans there.  Also I'm glad to see someone else using Citadel paints on their models.  These have been one of the nicest side-affects f playing Warhammer.  Their paints are absolutely wonderful acylics.

Spaced Marine,.....I wondered if your name was a Warhammer 40K reference. ;)

Yeah, I could n't agree more about Citadel acrylics. Very good paints with a whole range of colours and even some newer ones in more "military" shades.

I've learnt alot using their painting techniques aswell. Very talented guys, these Gamesworkshop dudes :)

I'll be using them almost exclusively for the detail work on the Flanker, as I did on the F-15E

:cheers:

(Though Aires has announced thier upcoming release already...)

Couldn't wait for the Zactomodels IRST to show up in the mail eh?

(This thread should probably be moved to In-progress forum)

:) Hi ZACTOMAN,

I'm not surprised to hear of an aftermarket burner can set for this kit, now that I've started to re-model mine ;) ....Typical :P

I considered going the "Richy" route and re-doing the petals in brass, if I can get hold of a guillotine I may yet try it! :o :cheers:

Heh, heh......I'd already done the IRST ball before you announced your kit.

Same comment as above....just when I do something, someone else does it better and makes it a whole lot easier :) . Ah well...."ce la vie"

Finally, on your advice, I hope this string has been moved to "In progress"

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated..... :wave: