Eurofighter colours

Think this might of been discussed before, but are the Italian Eurofighters same colour as RAF versions?

Funny you should mention that, I sent an e-mail yesterday to Eurofighter asking if there were different schemes for the different air forces. I'll post the reply as soon as I get it.

Stephen

Think this might of been discussed before, but are the Italian Eurofighters same colour as RAF versions?

Can't help with the exact colour, but heres a corking shot from the Eurofighter website showing Typhoons from all 4 nations, we know the RAF ones are Camouflage (Barley) Grey and the German ones are FS 35237, my guess for the Italian ones is Ghost Grey but Lt. or Dk. I'm not sure

ViennaParade.jpg

Edited by Ant Phillips

Italian Air Force colour for all combat aircraft must be the same: Grey 043553 FS36280 Mil-spec L-81352 S 15/69 MATT:

I've posted Italian Air Force EFa photos taken at GROSSETO (and not GROSETTO as usually written by English and Americans) at this address, from where you can check colour and details.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mario_bertinelli/ef2000/

Regards

Mario

I have been told that the radome colour is the same because its unpainted FRP. But I've also been told the radomes get painted!

According to the data Rob Monfea got from the Eurofighter Flight test at warton, the IPA aircraft was:

Radome: FS595B 36314 Flint Grey (This is supposedly an FS equivalent to Barley Grey, however looking at the real aircraft it appears to have a slight brownish

tint)

All the unpainted test flight shots shos an already grey radome, so I suspect it comes ready coloured.

Funny you should mention that, I sent an e-mail yesterday to Eurofighter asking if there were different schemes for the different air forces. I'll post the reply as soon as I get it.

Stephen

Thank you for this information. What a revelation! I thought they all shared the same overall colour. The photos you posted are very revealing. That would make Revell's prescribed colours for its 1/72 release inaccurate since they indicate only one colour for each of the four-nation versions with a mix that looks to me as too dark and green (perhaps accurate only for the Luftwaffe version). I've tried it. But I also haven't seen what's in their 1/48 single seat release. I hope they realize the difference.

That would make Revell's prescribed colours for its 1/72 release inaccurate since they indicate only one colour for each of the four-nation versions with a mix that looks to me as too dark and green (perhaps accurate only for the Luftwaffe version). I've tried it. But I also haven't seen what's in their 1/48 single seat release. I hope they realize the difference.

Their 1/48 release calls for a mixture of different Revell colors. They do not give any FS numbers or RAL numbers. And according to the (wrong) painting instuctions, it is the same for all four nations.

Stephen

Apologies for delay as I've been away but this was the reply I received from Eurofighter

Dear Stephen,

All Eurofighters are delivered in the same paint scheme, but as the partner companies in the nations buy the paint from different manufacturers, the shade of grey may differ slightly.

Best regards,

Bernhard Sirotek

Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH

PR and Comms Department

Am Soeldner Moos 17

85399 Hallbergmoos

Phone 0049/811 80-1556

Fax 0049811 80-1557

E-mail: bernhard.sirotek@eurofighter.com

The scheme IS the same - they're all a single, overall grey. It's the specific shades of grey used that differ.

Might have better luck e-mailing the squadron PR people.

So

In short

The representatives from Eurofighter don't even know what color the aircraft are! :lol: :blink: <_<

Guess it goes back to matching up colors that *look* right to the modeler...

Cheers

John

Yeah, we're back to square one. But I think RAF Barley Gray for the RAF versions is correct. As for the nose, Revell is correct in using a mix of stone grey and a little white. That's where we get the brownish tint missing when we use flint grey (again only for the RAF versions).

Just to clarify then, this is the state of play as we are so far able to ascertain :

RAF aircraft - Overall Camouflage (Barley) Grey

AMI (Italian AF) - Overall FS36280

Luftwaffe - Overall FS35237

Spanish AF - Overall FS?????

Austrian AF - FS?????

All the above with natural FRP radomes (or Flint Grey maybe for RAF a/c)

Well I guess we're getting there slowly.

Anyone got info on the Spanish colours ?

Hi There Lancer 512 i beleive the colours for the Spanish Air Force EF-18s are fs36320 for the upper surfaces and fs 36375 for lower although from what i have seen the typhoons look one colour the Spanish Air Force c-130s and there other transports are painted overall light grey if anyone knows the fs referance number for this grey i think that is the typhoon grey kind regards..

• 6 months later...
Somewhere I've read it is FS36320 :yahoo:

And yes, the german ones are FS35237, the same as the grey Tornados.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but the revell color codes have me totally confusedI see we've come to the conclusion that the RAF EEurofighters are Barley Grey while the German ones are FS-35237. The Radomes do appear to be painted on the RAF models. What about the color of the leading edges of the cunards and vertical stabiliser, I am guessing either flint grey or somthing similar, does that sound right?

:nanner:

So

In short

The representatives from Eurofighter don't even know what color the aircraft are! :lol: :blink: <_<

Guess it goes back to matching up colors that *look* right to the modeler...

Cheers

John

In short, this shows the PR and Comms Department guys in any company, or as in this case, consortia, know nothing about the things they are promoting.

:nanner:

Davide

• 1 year later...
What MM color (or Humbrol) would be best for RAF Typhoon?

Humbrol 167 (Barley Grey) is the correct shade, technically. However, I used Xtracrylics Barley Grey on mine and it is too dark. Humbrol may be better, it may not. I'm going to experiment and bit with some other shades to see if I can get something that looks a bit more like the real thing.

Humbrol 165 can be used for the radomes on the nose and the radomes and antennae on the wing-tip DASS pods as well as the leading edge and top of the fin (ie all the unpainted areas that are already grey when the jet is rolled out of assembly).

Tnx.

Humbrol 167 (Barley Grey) is the correct shade, technically. However, I used Xtracrylics Barley Grey on mine and it is too dark. Humbrol may be better, it may not. I'm going to experiment and bit with some other shades to see if I can get something that looks a bit more like the real thing.

I have find here http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/s...orcharts_uk.htm that for "626 Camouflage Grey" goes this mix "Hu:167 (6*Hu:167 + 4*Hu:87)"