F-14 from the top gun film

You need an F-14A with the old style gun vents. Monograms old F-14A kit has these and you can get a Hasegawa F-14A with these.

Tougher part is getting the aircraft markings from the film. They can be put together peice-meal, but a lot of us have been wishing for someone in the aftermarket to release a Top Gun movie sheet. Alas, there are copyright issues....:)

So basically with the exception of the crew names all the none standard markings were USN insiginas?

Wouldnt it be easier to make the appropriate sheets covering the squadrons they "stole" for the jets in the film?

And the sheets made in such a way to allow the builder to make a top gun jet if he/she so desires.

That's been suggested, but never done. Just release a "harmless and generic" VFA-25/VAW-110 sheet (hey, there's been stranger combos on decal sheets before) and an alphabet string to piece together crew names. Or made-up names and callsigns with useful bits in them. Like Rick, Mitch, Hell, Dice, Manuel, Loose, etc. :cheers: (I think they used all-uppercase block lettering in the movie)

There was a Testors 1/48 F-14 "TOP GUN" release with the markings. (The plastic was the old Fujimi F-14A.) I've seen that kit for sale at model swap meets, why not just get that kit for the decals? You can toss the plastic at the cat, neighbor's dog, or use it as a airbrush plastic target?

If an aftermarket company wanted to do decals, why not find out what the licensing fee would be? Brian P seems to have an idea who to call. Instead of trying to be clever and perform end-arounds, why not research the cost first? If its a nominal fee, it would be silly not to make the names directly. If its a substantial fee, there is still the other option.

Easiest option - go find the Testors 1/48 F-14 TOP GUN kit.

Ok I got an Idea. I'm a professional illustrator and graphic designer. So not to boast but I can reproduce anything on the computer. So if I can get images or a list of the decals needed, I can make them. I'd be happy to send the file to anyone for free. They can in turn print them at home or where ever they want.

Ok I got an Idea. I'm a professional illustrator and graphic designer. So not to boast but I can reproduce anything on the computer. So if I can get images or a list of the decals needed, I can make them. I'd be happy to send the file to anyone for free. They can in turn print them at home or where ever they want.

Sign me up for a copy!

Ok I'm not sure what need's to be done so someone send me a list of what needs to be done. I can make a whole new file with everything or I can make a supplement with names nose, and tail art. I’ll start with names and tail art. I’ve got the DVD but if anyone has any good images showing the tail and nose art. Please post link, e-mail me jared_bishop@yahoo.com. All the other basic navy insignals are easy. I’ll be creating a vector file. What that means is I can do what ever scale you want. From 1/350 for my Tamiya Enterprise, to the 1/32 for the big boys.

Does this help ???

I founf my old 1:72nd scale TOP GUN sheet and scanned it ...

TGdecal.jpg

This image has not been cropped at all, notice there is no © on the sheet anywhere ...

Gregg

PS, Sorry for the water damage in the upper right corner ...

Edited by GreyGhost

Ooh, ooh! Me Too! Please! In 1/72 scale. :thumbsup:

If you need an image of Iceman's "Fist of The Fleet" emblem, let me know. I've got the 1/72 Hasegawa boxing of The "World Hornet" F-18C that includes that.

All I can say is, if these are being done for personal use, there's no fear of copyright violation.

But, I'll guarantee if they were to hit the market for resale, Paramount will be contacting whoever produces them.

Btw, someone was asking what the licensing fee was. When I contacted Testors a couple months ago asking them what type of agreements they had with Paramount over this very issue, the amount for the licensing fee was for several thousand dollars.

Good luck.

Can't wait to see your sheet Jared. I'd definitely "help you out $wise" for a 1/72 copy. One quick correction to the Testors sheet, I know there are many though, Goose was LT JG...

And once again, as in the other Topgun movie posts - I've got the licensing information for Paramount if anyone/any decal company wants it.

-brian

A question about printing decals. I've seen the sheets you can buy at you local hobby shop so you can print on you own Ink Jet at home. Are these any good? I am also working on a decal sheet for a B-24 with a very specific nose art that my wife's grandfather flew. Are there companies that will print 1 sheet or print a small run?

Jared,

Let me check at work tomorrow but I think I can get a scan of a VAW-110 squadron patch. I think there should be a few more lines coming off the back of the bird...it should look like VAW-120's patch only with the red/blue scheme. Replace VAW-110 with the movie squadron and it should be real close.

Sunshine