Airfix Fairey Firefly

Proud to say the Firefly has finally been started. Spent an hour this morning thinning the cockpit sides down before adding any detail. I'll post some photos once there's more progress but needless to say the kit supplied parts aren't the most comprehensive.

• 3 weeks later...
Col hi

Not sure it will help much but I have the instructions for the PE set

for the Flightpath 1/48 Firefly.

Otherwise show us the photos

Pete

Ok Pete, if you insist :thumbsup: Just to prove I do build these things when I get a chance.

P1010003-1.jpg

It's taken a while to get this far so please bear with me on what may just be the GB's slowest build :sign_boycott: and yes Pete I would love a look at those instructions, if only to help figure out what happens along the port side of the rear cockpit.

Edited by Col.

Thanks Greg, I'd post a picture of the progress given that I've worked the cockpits quite a bit this last week but stupid Photobucket won't let me log in after too many failed attempts while not noticing Fiona had left 'caps lock' on the computer :blink:

Ho hum, perhaps it'll stop sulking and let me in the morn. Love that latest 'stang of yours BTW :thumbsup:

Wow nice! Super detailing.. the aft cockpit is very interesting..kinda busy, do you know what all duties were performed at that station?

Thanks Greg. From what I understand the rear 'pit was full of radio and navigation gear, although my main reference is a Polish language title :thumbsup: Everything else labels the GIB as either observer or navigator, which makes sense given the lack of flight controls or even a basic instrument panel in there.

Pete, PM sent :cheers:

Well thanks to Pete's scans I've figured out more cockpit details and am working through them now.

P1010004.jpg

Next up will be the two seat units then a set of rudder controls for the pilot before it all gets painted black and disappears :nanner:

Wow Colin!

Considering that you had no cockpit to begin with, I'm convinced that this little kit is actually going to benefit from that misfortune in the hands of such a fine artist as yourself!

I can't wait to follow the progress of this kit!

Cheers!

John

• 3 weeks later...
Col. -you're killing me... how's this baby coming along? We just gotta know. :D

Sorry about the lack of updates here Greg, spent most of my free-time finishing the Lightning so the Firefly got neglected :(

I have, however, started back on her this last week :yahoo: Nothing worth taking pictures of but got the seats ready, glued in the instrument panel and repaired some over-enthusiastic trimming of the cockpit coaming. A day off work the morn :cheers: should see me get some time to knuckle down and make a difference. Perhaps I'll post a picture to prove it's moving forward then.

Sorry about the lack of updates here Greg, spent most of my free-time finishing the Lightning so the Firefly got neglected :(

I have, however, started back on her this last week :D Nothing worth taking pictures of but got the seats ready, glued in the instrument panel and repaired some over-enthusiastic trimming of the cockpit coaming. A day off work the morn :cheers: should see me get some time to knuckle down and make a difference. Perhaps I'll post a picture to prove it's moving forward then.

:yahoo:

Hi

Great subject-choice, if you need some reference i've got some digital pics etc. and some offline references also.

Jochem

Thanks Jochem, I would love to see those when you get a chance. Reference material seems thin on the ground for this aircraft and I'd be greatful for anything you're willing to share.

Hopefully I'll get some time to myself this evening and let you all see how it's going, made a little progress over the last few days but we seem to have had a house full of people every night this week. Nice to see them but frustrating at the same time :bandhead2:

Thanks Jochem, I would love to see those when you get a chance. Reference material seems thin on the ground for this aircraft and I'd be greatful for anything you're willing to share.

Hopefully I'll get some time to myself this evening and let you all see how it's going, made a little progress over the last few days but we seem to have had a house full of people every night this week. Nice to see them but frustrating at the same time :pray:

Col- feed them beans and beer.... trust me they wont stay long :banana:

Col- feed them beans and beer.... trust me they wont stay long ;)

Nice idea Greg, although I think eating that combination myself might drive them out even quicker :D

Almost ready to splash some paint on now, just the battery for the rear 'pit and some rudder pedals for the front to be made.

P1010005.jpg

Jochem, thanks for looking mate, much appreciated. I'd be most interested in any Sea Fury stuff you have as well, especially if that 32nd scale Trumpeter kit comes out soon :cheers:

Nev, cheers mate, how's the Spitfire coming along?

More progress in the cockpit over the last two days, added various bits and got the basic painting down. Almost ready to close the fuselage halves. After three months :banana:

P1010002.jpg

At your current pace it may be squeaker to the finish line. :D

Just having a fun poke- no harm Col. She's looking pretty good. :yahoo:

Ha ha ha...sob. That would be funny if it wasn't so true mate.

In all seriousness, there's only the trim-wheels to be made and some detail painting before I shut the fuselage then get on with the decking for the rear cockpit, adding the gunsight to the front and detailing the seats can be done later. That way I'll get into the wheel wells for a change of scenery :blink: