St Thomas Show June 23 2007

Nice shots Rick! Good thing I checked one more time for a St. Thomas thread 'cause I was about to start my own. It was a great weekend with a great lineup. Good to see Shawn again if only briefly. Also good to get my jet fix taken care of. This should hold me for a week or so.

Here's the CF-18B arriving literally 10-20 feet above our heads. Blew my hat right off my head and across the road! Needless to say we got booted out of that spot pretty quick by security.

CF-18.jpg

I assumed that when this guy showed up he was the Griffin that would be doing the static display for the show, but it turned out that he was just on his way back to Trenton after an all-night SAR mission over Lake Erie. He did quite a few passes, buzzing the people on photo tour, and beating up the runway a few times with some really aggressive pull-ups. Nothing like I'd ever seen anyone do in a helicopter before.

CH-146.jpg

KC-135 from the Alabama Air National Guard "Dixie 69" arriving at London International

Dixie.jpg

C-17 "Slammer 86"showing up at YXU as well. He did quite a few passes with some encouragement from the air traffic controllers

3.jpg

4.jpg

I can not get over how huge this thing is

5-1.jpg

Here's a Diamond Katana C-1 from Empire Aviation, who was in the circuit after the C-17 landed. IIN has a special place with me because I did my first flight at Empire in her.

IIN.jpg

All right, on to show day! I went on the saturday so that's when these are from.

The show stealer was definitely the C-17. I can not get over that takeoff and landing performance that they can get out of that thing. The maneuverability and turning radius is pretty incredible too. Here's one of him in the dirty 360

1-1.jpg

Again

12.jpg

Touching down for the SHORT field landing (with the 9-foot winglet nicely cut off :rolleyes: )

8.jpg

He wasn't able to finish his full demo due to time constraints. He was a bit late getting there and the F-16s that were holding were starting to run out of gas. It was great to see this demo though, and I can't wait to see our Canadian Forces pilots show one off!

7.jpg

Here's the KC-135 sucking the gear on a low and over with what almost looks like a bird poo on the left wing root, thanks to Black's photography.

13.jpg

2 F-16s from the 120th Fighter Sqn, Colorado ANG did some nice burner passes. I knew we were in for a treat when the pilots asked for the airspace up to 17,500 feet. The airshow boss gave it to them and they let us see a nice vertical departure. 17.5 doesn't take long at all for these guys!

14.jpg

Here's 87-254, who showed up to London in 2003 and ripped everyone's ears off with 3 of his buddies!

15.jpg

Edited by trevortex88

Bill Carter put on a good show as always. Here's his knifedge

16.jpg

Then came "Buzzer" with F-16 east. He put on a nice show, top notch as usual.

17.jpg

After that was the CF-18 with "Crank" flying it. His showline was a lot further out then the F-16 on the practice day, but he tightened it up for the real show.

20.jpg

CF-18yeah.jpg

High alpha

19.jpg

They flew a nice heritage flight with a Harvard from the Harvard Association in nearby Tillsonburg.

heritage.jpg

And there's Crank passing over the crowd trying to catch the Harvard for the break, pretty much just like the USAF one, but I don't think it was a crossover. Same idea though.

21.jpg

The snowbirds came next. They looked great, considering it was only their 2nd show back. I don't like the routine as much as previous years, but it was well flown nonetheless. Here's the solos joining back up.

snowbirds4.jpg

This was a nice tribute pass in memory of Capt. McCaughey in place of the double take formation. You can't see it because my scanned in pics are too grainy, but #2 was the only one with smoke on.

Snowbirds3.jpg

All in all it was a great show. I know some people will complain about the last minute cancellations, but they were clearly beyond anyone's control. The organizers did a great job putting this show together, and I'm glad we have something like this back in southern Ontario.

Edited by trevortex88