R-7/Sputnik Booster Color?

Does anyone have an educated guess on the color of the R-7 booster rocket for the Sputnik 1 launch?

I have reviewed a number of sources and it appears to be a shade of gray. But depending on the lighting, film, age of picture, etc I cannot tell what shade.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have an educated guess on the color of the R-7 booster rocket for the Sputnik 1 launch?

I have reviewed a number of sources and it appears to be a shade of gray. But depending on the lighting, film, age of picture, etc I cannot tell what shade.

Charlie

Take this for what it is worth: I attended a Soyuz launch in October, right after the 50th anniversary of Sputnik. My visitor's badge from Roscosmos (which I was allowed to keep as a souvineer) has color artist renditions of both the Soyuz and Sputnil launches on it. The Sputnik/R-7 appears to be the same shade of white/light gray used on the Soyuz launch vehicle, except that the lower 1/3 of the strap on boosters are red-orange. Whether this is accurate or some Russian graphic artist's fantasy, I cannot say.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie:

I merely dabble in real-space modeling, but I do know that your question is a rather popular one!

You are correct - the gray-green is an elusive color, and rarely do two photos ever "agree". But there seems to be some level of concensus in the modeling world that Model Master "European I Gray" is pretty darn close.

Which kit are you building?

Kevin

Charlie:

I merely dabble in real-space modeling, but I do know that your question is a rather popular one!

You are correct - the gray-green is an elusive color, and rarely do two photos ever "agree". But there seems to be some level of concensus in the modeling world that Model Master "European I Gray" is pretty darn close.

Which kit are you building?

Kevin

Kevin:

Thanks for the response.

I am building the Cutting Edge kit. I'm doing the dry fitting now and it appears to be a fine model. Time will tell!

Charlie