Looking for info on "Green 4", Bf 109G-10

EagleCals does this sheet in 1/32 only:

Pic

I'm looking for particlars on the last aircraft pictured, "Green 4" a G-10 of III./JG 300. Location, features of the aircraft, etc. would be great if anyone has them.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Well, for what it's worth, here's the picture from "Broken Eagles 2", as referenced on the instruction sheet. As far as I'm aware this is the only published photo of the machine, although Jerry Crandall has another one in his collection. As for its location, Broken Eagles only states that it was found by the 2nd Armored Division "en route to Berlin"! The Eagle Cals instructions note that the a/c had a tall tail wheel, no external trim tabs on the tail, and the aerial attaches directly to the fuselage behind the canopy. Sorry, but that seems to be the sum of human knowledge on the subject: hope it helps!

Scan10181cr.jpg

Nick

It looks like the swastika was painted over on the aircraft, but why I couldn't even hazard a guess, and it seems unlikely that the US troops would bother. Also, the shield on the nose supposedly containing a boar's head seems to be overpainted too. It's all a bit baffling really, which is why I always prefer books and decal sheets to do my thinking for me!

Watch out for the blemish on the film between the cockpit and the numeral, making that area a little lighter than it should be.

Nick

Hello Mike

I have looked at the photo in JG 300 part 2, the svastika is standard, i think it is just the reflektion of light that makes lighter.

cheers

Jes

Thanks for that Jes, but I've had a hard look at the photo from Broken Eagles, and I'm pretty certain that the obscured markings are not due to some light aberration, leaving us with the conundrum as to why anyone would bother painting over the swastika on either the airframe or the picture. I had assumed that "the other photo" shows the markings as described by Eagle Cals, as Mr. Crandall tends not to make things up! Does your picture show the same or the other side of the aircraft?

Nick

Hello nick

I have also the broken eagle book, the photoes are the same, just in JG 300 it is a bit larger and lighter, one can just make out the black in the swastika, but it is hard to say.

But if Mr. Crandall, has a other photo of this plane in his collection, why does he not publish it on the decal sheet reference??.

cheers

Jes

But if Mr. Crandall, has a other photo of this plane in his collection, why does he not publish it on the decal sheet reference??.

Or at least let them use it in your JG 300 book! Thanks for clearing that one up for me, I thought that the fabled "other photo" may have been the one in the book.

Nick