RAAF 1/48 HobbyBoss F-18 Hornet

Nice work. So would you recommend the Hobby Boss kit? I assumed you used the kit decals - what are they like?

Thanx luke,

Well this is my first aircraft kit and there has been a few challenges for this novice. There were a few parts missing from the kit such as port and starbord light lenses, the small supports that attach from fuselage to intakes were too small so had to use stretched sprue.

There were a few fit issues, esp the vert stabs to fuselage (see photos pg 1), had to use a bit of putty around nose and underneath to fill ugly seams, gear doors are very fiddly and are full of injector pin marks. If you want flaps down you'll have to muck around (i didnt as this is mainly OOB).

The decals i used were the Aussie decal set that came with the kit as an extra. However i had to buy the Aussie decal stencil sheet for Hornets as it was not included. The kit decals were for US a/c: VX-4, VFA-25, and VMFA-451 "Dirty Dan". I only used a couple of these for this build, and both types went on ok, although as i said this is my first build, so im not experienced with other decals.

I must say the register and clarity of the Hobby Boss stencil decals were far superior to the Aussie decal stencil sheet, thats why i used a couple from this sheet.

Overall i would recommend this kit, if your an experienced modeller you'll have no problem, ive enjoyed the challenges along the way, i suppose thats how you develop and refine your skills. :cheers:

Josh

I was working on that aircraft at the time it carried those markings with Foxys name on the sill. He was sadly killed instantly in a mid-air collision with 29 while flying another aircraft which tore the entire cockpit off his jet. 29 recovered to base with the left outer wing missing from the wingfold hinge outboard, two feet broken from the left horizontal stab and a hole punched in the left engine nozzle.

A much missed man and an excellant CO.

Cheers

Tony