Looking for some P-40E references

AMTech not too long ago released decals with their P-40L that included "Veronica," a P-40 flown by Erwin Silsbee. He painted the fuselage green with some paint he found/took/stole from somewhere at random because he wanted better camouflage whilst making attack runs through steep Italian ravines.

I'm doing a little research for this plane. I have the basics from various kit build/reviews of the AMTech kit, but there are many details not elaborated on.

Does anybody have any references that might help me?

Details such as the placement of the plane name, "Veronica" (Erwin's wife), kill markings, tail codes (if any?) and even the basic things to the upper camo patterns, or whether the green wrapped around all the way or stopped where it got to the azure blue underside.

I know from comments his son typed that the paint scheme evolved and changed a great deal. The end result, I think, was an all-green plane with the group emblem on the intake side. I'm more interested at the point in time where AMTech has captured it, with green fuselage, brown/brown upper surfaces, azure blue unders, yellow border around the fuselage star, and 2 kill markings on the fuselage.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

That was one of the links that got me interested in it!

AMTech decals seem kind of odd. Apparently the yellow ring and the bars around the star are from different time frames. Was hoping to reconcile/explain this away somehow, with better references. Cannot find any real pics of the actual plane.

Unfortunately I don't have a photograph of 'Veronica,' although I have seen a photograph of a 79th FG P-40 from late summer '43 in which the yellow ring is definitely visible on the fuselage star, and another from early '44 in which the 'stars and bars' is visible on the wing. On this latter photograph it appears the star on the fuselage has the yellow ring but it's difficult to tell with certainty.

So it appears that AMtech's markings are entirely plausible, although I agree a nice photograph of 'Veronica' would be most useful!

Good luck in your search, and I'd be interested in any information you find out.

Mark