Smooth-On's Mold Star 15 Silicone Rubber

I'm thinking of moving up from the 10:1 mix Alumilite I picked up with a coupon at Hobby Lobby. Smooth-On's Mold Star 15 looks ideal for a dabbling wannabe. The 1:1 mix caught my attention, I've made more than one drippy master by screwing up the proportions of A & B. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried it yet and what they think.

I'm thinking of moving up from the 10:1 mix Alumilite I picked up with a coupon at Hobby Lobby. Smooth-On's Mold Star 15 looks ideal for a dabbling wannabe. The 1:1 mix caught my attention, I've made more than one drippy master by screwing up the proportions of A & B. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried it yet and what they think.

Although I don't use Smooth On's Mold Star 15 I do use what they call Platinum mix Dragon Skin which is their 1:1 mix. It's great, as a matter of fact I use a lot of their silicon and have had great results with all of them. You might also want to try their resins. The resins come in various pot and de-mold time unlike what Alumilite offers.

Take a look here: http://www.smooth-on.com/

Yeah, I'll second what Terryt said. I started using their mold max 20 and the smooth-on 310 resin and they are both great! I'm going to pick up a trial set of their clear to do some new projects and see how that works out.

longmc:

I've used Smooth-Ons clear resin and find it a little difficult to use. I have some clear Epoxy Resin that works better. It takes a long time to get hard but the reason is to de-gas(let the air bubbles out). It comes out crystal clear. You can get it a Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and if you use the 40% coupon it works out to about $8.00. Here is some information on what it is:

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm#easy

If I remember correctly the Smooth-On resin is around $25.00. You also have to cure it in a pressure chamber to de-gas it.

Edited by terryt

longmc:

Try it you'll like it. All kidding aside I think it works better than the Smooth-On stuff, you just have to have patients because it takes a long time to set up. You can use it in RTV molds like any other resin.