Hasegawa 1/32 Scale Fw 190 D-9 Propeller Blades

Hi guys

I would like to ask the more knowledgeable members on this board a question concerning the accuracy or lack thereof regarding the propeller blades of the Hasegawa 1/32 scale Fw 190 D-9. In his review of this kit at http://kits.kitreview.com/fw190d932reviewjc_1.htm Jerry Crandall wrote the following: "The spinner and propeller blades are very accurate and well engineered for assembly." As he literally wrote the book on this type his statement carries great weight for me. However, I have come across some comments on various builds of this model elsewhere that suggest that the kit supplied propeller blades are inaccurate and could use replacement. I know that at one time Wedgetail offered a quite nice and well regarded resin replacement set of propeller blades for this model but I believe that these are no longer available although perhaps by contacting Aeroworks there might be a set still available. Also, I have read that Steve Gallacci may offer a replacement set in resin shortly. Therefore, my question is if the kit supplied propeller blades are accurate as Jerry Crandall stated or are they flawed and need replacement? Many thanks.

Horrido!

Leo

Hi guys

Many thanks for your comments. I ended up getting the Wedgetail blades (the last set available for now!) and hope that I made the correct decision. It is sort of a quandary as on one hand the fellow who is possibly most knowledgeable about the type in question states that the kit propeller blades are accurate and yet there are various others who state that they are not correct. I have seen a pair of photographs of a Hasegawa propeller blade next to an example of a Wedgetail propeller blade and the latter has considerably more "paddle" to it. These photographs can be seen at http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=105384&st=20 (post 38) and http://forum.largesc...pic=30615&st=30 (post 40). Looking at the few good quality images of Fw 190 D-9 fighters that clearly show the VS-111 propeller from the front appears to indicate that the Wedgetail version is closer to the real thing but I know that propeller blades are notoriously difficult to judge based on photographs due to the angles and curves involved and in any rate I have little confidence in my ability to discern subtle differences through photographs. Getting the Hasegawa 1/32 scale Fw 190 series of models up to scratch is getting quite expensive and at this rate only the fuselages and wings of the original kits will be left!

Horrido!

Leo