Going back to my first model, out of the box build. No after market accessories, resin, photo etch, washes. I have an old tube of testers glue but I won't be using it. Hell- I may not even sand the seams. This will be an old school build as pictured on the box. I haven't painted a pilot in an airplane in about 20 years. I'm not even filling in sink marks or the numbers off the landing bay doors. Hope you enjoy.

-Rob.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by 71roadrunner426

I love the idea of doing a OOB on some of these old kits.

I just picked up a Monogram Kingfisher today and have been considering doing the same. I started with all the usual surfing for aftermarket parts to fix it up. But now, I am not so sure.

Rob

I love the idea of doing a OOB on some of these old kits.

I just picked up a Monogram Kingfisher today and have been considering doing the same. I started with all the usual surfing for aftermarket parts to fix it up. But now, I am not so sure.

Rob

I just needed a break from the resin, photo-etch and all the other stuff. This takes me back to 1979 at Kmart where on a Friday after school my Grandmother (God rest her soul) got me this kit, I was eleven. This is a relaxing build for me.

There's nothing wrong at all with a back-to-basics OOB build-up of a classic kit. Helps you to remember what drew you to modeling in the first place. :thumbsup: There's something oddly comforting about old kits molded in color. It's almost as if the kit is saying, "Paint me, don't paint me. I'm cool either way." Kits with huge parts counts and PE frets come across as demanding snobs by comparison. "Is that a perfect FS match? If not, don't bother. I can't stomach your bourgeois taste in colors."

Yes, I'm assigning personality traits and voices to plastic. Anyway...

The paint work looks great so far. Your paint job should really make that kit sing.

In a bad situation, I tried to use the decals from the 1995 re-issue VMF-312 and they "shattered" in the water. I really want to do this kit in these markings. If anyone has a set they would like to sell I can use them. Thanks, pics of the painted Corsair tomorrow, Thanks, Rob.

Edited by 71roadrunner426

45656.jpg

IMG_20120102_161735.jpg

IMG_20120102_161701.jpg

IMG_20120102_161643.jpg

IMG_20120102_161608.jpg

IMG_20120102_161621-1.jpg

Ok, here she is all painted up, sorry for the pics. I'm at a stand still now. The decals I tried to use shattered, Like I said this was a basic back to bare bones build no aftermarket goodies at all, and it felt good with no sanding, cutting, super glue and no swearing. I hope you enjoy the build, as soon as I can get my hands on a set of the kit decals, I really want the VMF-312 markings. I will post the finished build, still looking for decals if anyone has a set. Thanks, Rob