Tupolev Tu-104 in pieces and on the move

Hello all:

Back in August, I visited the city of Olomouc and paid a visit to this Tu-104 which had been a fixture of the city for several years serving as both a restaurant and bar:

DSCF8337.jpg

DSCF8335.jpg

It seems the airplane is going into new hands and moving across the country to Zruc, which is near Pilsen. I'm not sure that's a good thing as any pictures I've seen of aircraft in the Zruc collection are quite dilapidated looking aircraft, so who knows if she'll be any better off there.

Here's a couple of links, all in Czech, with pictures and video documenting the removal of the aircraft from in front of the Olomouc swimming stadium:

http://olomoucky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/olomoucke-letadlo-v-noci-zmizi-legendarni-tucko-nadobro-opousti-mesto-20121029.html

Edited by Kevan Vogler

To briefly summarize the linked Czech language article:

This particular Tu-104 was taken into Czechoslovak Airlines service in 1963 and served as such until it was retired in 1974. Shortly after it was retired, it was briefly painted in Alitalia colours and used in a film.

It was placed in Olomouc in 1975 and variously operated as a restaurant, wine bar and pub. The last owner sold it to the Zruc Airpark and the plan to move the aircraft started in August, 2012.

At the end of October, 2012; the aircraft was dismantled and prepared for transport to Zruc during the night so as not to interfere with traffic.

Following a couple of the links in the article:

The move is controversial locally. The aircraft was a landmark for around 30 years and many in Olomouc feel it's a shame to see it go, while others are happy to see it leave.

According to the new owner, the aircraft is in a "catastrophic condition"

On a small caveat:

I'm not a native Czech speaker and the above is a very quick summary of the article contents.

If any native Czech speaking members of the forum feel that I have made a serious error or left out a critical piece of information, please feel free to post a correction.