Nellis F-5E Lizzard Scheme vs. F-15C Desert Camo

Hi there,

Some time ago, I've painted a 1/144 scale F-5E in the New Lizzard Scheme. I used the mixing ratio that is stated in the Colors & Markings Book by Bert Kinzey, which is a mixture of 30117 and 33613 of about 8 parts to 1 parts, and vice versa.

Now, I am getting ready to paint a 1/72 scale F-15C in the desert aggressor scheme.

The instructions call for 30400 and 30140. However, on the 1/48 scale instruction sheet, it says 30279 and 30140.

30279 looks too pink on a 1/72 scale model for my taste. Asia minor without the green looks correct, too.

As the little F-5E looks pretty close to the images I can find of the F-15C, how close will the colors of that F-5E scheme be to the F-15 scheme? Have the the colors actually been changed, or did somebody just come up with the approximate FS numbers for the mixed paint?

So which colors shoud I use for a 1/72 scale model?

Hi Lancer,

30279 and 30140 are the correct colours - I know what you are saying about the 30279 looking a bit too pink in 1/72 but I got used to it ! :D

IMGP0001-9.jpg

Think I used Xtracolor for the 30279 but the 30140 was an acrylic but I cannot remember who's !

Cheers,

Haydn.

OK, that makes it clear. For 30279, I bought Humbrol #250.

According to a thread on Britmodeler, Revell #381 is a match for 30140.

Still, that F-5E looks more like the colors on the F-15 than these two tins with the correct colors side by side.

Humbrol250.jpg

Must be scale effect. Probably the sand color on the F-5 will be too yellow on a 1/72 model.