Alright so I have been supposed to build a 48th B-17 for my local museum for over a year now. Figure this is as good a time as any to get it done. The museum has been honored to have a donator who lives in the area that flew B-17s. On one such mission while piloting Lt William "Budd" Wentz felt a large bump at the rear of the plane. Turns out the aircraft was rammed by a German fighter in order to try to take out the tail surfaces and bring the aircraft down. Wentz was able to pilot the stricken aircraft to a nearby field that was held by the Germans. Luckily for him the US Army had reclaimed the field that morning. When they were able to land their broken B-17 they discovered a captured B-17 on the airfield. Wentz and his crew "reclaimed" the captured B-17 and flew it back to his home base in Levenham. This particular event was chronicled on a History Channel documentary and has been in the local papers several times.

Anyway the 487bg Forts look similar to this...

487bg.gif

And here's a painting done to commemorate his story and shows what I'll be building the model to look like.

RammkommandoELBE-wentz1200.jpg

Here's me with Mr Wentz a few years ago at the museum.

DSCN3093.jpg

Build will be fairly simple. Straightforward out of box build of the kit. Will have to paint the markings and chevrons and such on and piece the codes and numbers from other sheets. So it really shouldn't take me too long. Most of the build time will be in painting and marking.

Haven't started yet but the kit has made it's way upstairs. Also just ordered from Sprue Bros a set of masks and a set of numbers and letter codes from Kits World decals. Should hopefully give me everything I need to make the bird. I'll mask and paint the chevrons.

Hopefully get started on it soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Kit has been started!

Glued the stabs together. Also cut out all the wing parts and have glued in the landing gear already. Will glue wings together possibly this evening. Gives me the most time to work on the engine seams. The worst part of this kit by far.

After that I'll move to starting on the interior. Will be a very generic interior and I'll only detail paint the portions you may see. So the cockpit and bombardier section will get some better paint. radio room and waist will may not get any paint at all. At least the radio room. I also won't be doing the bomb bay since I won't be opening the doors.

Pics later.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've been neglecting pics here's a few to prove this has been started. Once again since this is going to a museum and probably under glass I'm spending little to no time on the interior. Jut adding color in places so that it looks like something. Not going for accuracy at all. The main focus will be on the exterior finish and making it look good from the outside.

AF9CA9C6-28E5-4F91-B85D-61204775C0F0-29517-0000084CE45321F8_zps94dc81be.jpg

012DFE8B-BAA2-4D24-8020-C107D047E31D-29517-0000084CE04B05EB_zpsaab0c402.jpg

E14CAD2D-35AB-4DBF-8D8E-3DE4B82F2E51-29517-0000084CDB8005CA_zps74faf9f6.jpg

Little more to do on pilots seats an bombardier section since they're the most visible. Then ill start adding the windows and it'll be time to close her up and begin the sanding process.