1/72 Bf 109G·6 JG53 decals

I'd like to model 'Black 2' as seen in the Osprey JG53 book (color plate 26)

Bf 109G-6 'Black 2' of Oberfeldwebel Herbert Rollwage, 5./JG 53, Trapani/Sicily, July 1943; I want to build one of the planes that shot down the USN spotter plans over Sicily.

If these decals don't exist, could I piece the markings together from a different set or two?

I have the Academy kit which includes the decals for Amon's famous White 9.

sdlQVbn.jpg

A couple points: you may want two different things. The portside view that you included 'sort-of' shows Rollwage's WNr.1607xx "schwarze 2" of 5./JG 53 from a later period, December 1943/January 1944 when they were based at Vienna-Seyring. The artist forgot to include the yellow beneath the cowl. None of Rollwage's machines that he flew from Sicily had a white rudder.

He made a claim for a "Ryan" at 10:39 on 10.July 1943 (he claimed a P-38 two minutes before), 2 km South of Gela, in a low-level attack. He was also wounded in combat (in WNr.18242) with an enemy fighter later the same day, near San Pietro, and invalided home. He made his next claim 7.Jan. 1944.

The kit decals you mention are for WNr.18107. Uffz. Georg Amon got his 'sailor' nickname after having to bail out over the sea, and thus spending some time in a rubber dinghy. This particular machine was lost on 3.July 1943, about 15 km South of Cape Scaramia, after the engine was damaged in combat with Spitfires. The pilot, Uffz. Walter Reinicke, parachuted over the sea, but was rescued by the British. He returned from captivity in 1947. A number of the Bf 109G-6s of 7./JG 53 (some built by Erla, others by Mtt.-Regensburg - I mention this because the camouflage is different) were decorated with "Pik-As Mann" motifs by one of their technicians, Uffz. Heinz Zech.

I browsed through the Sicily fighter claims in July, and had almost no luck with what might be spotter aircraft. Most claims are for Kittyhawks (P-40s), Spitfires, P-38s, B-17s, some B-26s. Lt. Wilhelm Esser of Stab/JG 53 claimed a "seaplane" on 10.July 1943. Fw. Horst Schlick of 1./JG 77 claimed a "U.S.-Storch" 28.July 1943.

I don't know if this helps, or adds to your dilemma.

GRM

It both helps and adds to my dilemma. :)

Now, is there any idea as to how Lt. Wilhelm Esser of Stab/JG 53's airplane looked? And/or some sort of roster for JG53 at this time?

A couple points: you may want two different things. The portside view that you included 'sort-of' shows Rollwage's WNr.1607xx "schwarze 2" of 5./JG 53 from a later period, December 1943/January 1944 when they were based at Vienna-Seyring. The artist forgot to include the yellow beneath the cowl. None of Rollwage's machines that he flew from Sicily had a white rudder.

He made a claim for a "Ryan" at 10:39 on 10.July 1943 (he claimed a P-38 two minutes before), 2 km South of Gela, in a low-level attack. He was also wounded in combat (in WNr.18242) with an enemy fighter later the same day, near San Pietro, and invalided home. He made his next claim 7.Jan. 1944.

The kit decals you mention are for WNr.18107. Uffz. Georg Amon got his 'sailor' nickname after having to bail out over the sea, and thus spending some time in a rubber dinghy. This particular machine was lost on 3.July 1943, about 15 km South of Cape Scaramia, after the engine was damaged in combat with Spitfires. The pilot, Uffz. Walter Reinicke, parachuted over the sea, but was rescued by the British. He returned from captivity in 1947. A number of the Bf 109G-6s of 7./JG 53 (some built by Erla, others by Mtt.-Regensburg - I mention this because the camouflage is different) were decorated with "Pik-As Mann" motifs by one of their technicians, Uffz. Heinz Zech.

I browsed through the Sicily fighter claims in July, and had almost no luck with what might be spotter aircraft. Most claims are for Kittyhawks (P-40s), Spitfires, P-38s, B-17s, some B-26s. Lt. Wilhelm Esser of Stab/JG 53 claimed a "seaplane" on 10.July 1943. Fw. Horst Schlick of 1./JG 77 claimed a "U.S.-Storch" 28.July 1943.

I don't know if this helps, or adds to your dilemma.

GRM

The Stab/JG53 machines had a sameness about them that should making a PLAUSIBLE machine of Esser's relatively easy.

Since before the onset of the Russian campaign, the Stab had used conventional "Winkel-Balken" symbols, usually with a small Arabic numeral inside the chevron (Winkel). These were low numbers. Esser had had an incident in North Africa, when they were still equipped with Bf 109G-4s, and on this occasion his machine was code "<5-+-" (tiny 5).

Not having Esser's Flugbuch, I do not know for sure which machine he may have been using on the occasion of his 'seaplane' claim. '1' is possible, but less-likely than 2, 3, or 4. These aircraft were factory-painted in the three grays, 74/75/76, with a white Mediterranean theatre band, yellow beneath the cowling. White wingtips were becoming less-common.

Esser later led the 5./JG 53, and survived the war with eight claims.

Good luck in your project, GRM