Well it has been almost a month and 1/2 since my last post. Moving, not having any time to do much the last few weeks. With the DSL now up and running and the rest of the utilites now in service it's nice to be able to show what has transpired since my last post. Though not having the ability to post any images since the end of March, still I did manage to take images to mark the progress of my Desert Storm Cat. And thank those who extended the GB till July. Now I can finish in time with at least one. To summarize I was at the decal stage when I last posted any images. This build will depict an F-14A Tomcat on board the USS Theodore Roosevelt, during the first Gulf War in 1991. VF-41 Black Aces, using Fujimi's excellent kit in 72nd scale.

PC260005.JPG

At this stage the decals and the semi flat coat has been applied. For now a sneak peak of how this kitty looks and a more detailed progress report will be posted tomorrow.

P1010035.JPG

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn

As promised here is a little more detailed account on this build as we just about wind it up. After decaling and spraying the semi-flat coat. It is now time to install the landing gear and ordnance and the other detail bits under the fuselage.

I read about a tip in using a Sharpie or Red felt tip pen to edge the gear doors. This is a time saving and easy to do way to edge those gear doors.

P1010062_1.JPG

First starting with the nose gear strut and doors were installed.

P1010065.JPG

P1010067_1.JPG

Carefully now to install the main gear struts and doors again using the Red felt tip marker to edge the doors.

P1010063_1.JPG

After letting sit for a day and let the cement dry before setting it upright on the landing gear. And check for levelness as well.

More to come.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Next after checking that there is no wobble and we have a solid feel we will now paint and install the wheels.

P1010052.JPG

P1010051.JPG

P1010049.JPG

P1010037.JPG

Though not my favorite scheme using overall Lt Gull Grey. This particular scheme does have a nice visual appeal with just enough color to offset the bland Gull Grey.

More to come

Chuck

Fly Navy

More images as we finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel of this build.

P1010033_1.JPG

P1010032_1.JPG

Here we have installed the exhaust afterburner nozzles. One open, one closed.

P1010068_1.JPG

RH side shot with the doors installed.

P1010069_1.JPG

P1010070_1.JPG

More to follow

Chuck

Fly Navy

LH side main gear strut and doors installed.

P1010072_1.JPG

With that now to finally install the painted main mounts. (Using Academy's wheels, the Fujimi wheels were deformed).

Then add the droptanks and tail hook.

More to follow

Chuck

Fly Navy

Well another weekend gone. And now we can say we are on final approach for this project. Completing the lower end detail bits by adding the main wheels, AIM-9L's and the Phoenixes. And of course the tailhook.

P1010087.JPG

Looks ready for bear sitting naturally on her wheels.

P1010081.JPG

P1010080.JPG

Lower view before adding the 4 Sidewinder, 2 Phoenix loadout.

P1010088.JPG

More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Using an extra pair of AIM-9L's from the Hasegawa weapons set. Robbing a pair of Sidewinder missile rails from the 72nd Academy kit, I then installed the 2nd set of Sidewinders in place of the Sparrows. For a little extra detail I also added a pair of RBF Flags. Don't see this configuring to often on the Tomcat. Makes for an interesting change of pace from the normal 2/2/4 mix.

P1010091.JPG

Bottom view from the nose.

P1010092.JPG

After this weekends session. I will now install the seats, the canopy rails and PE bits. Pitot tubes and antenna blades. Wow finally almost have this wrapped up!

P1010095.JPG

P1010103.JPG

Will complete this next weekend. Until then I hope all you Dad's out there had a nice Father's day.

Chuck

Fly Navy