Aftermarket Parts Question for 1/32 Grumman F3F

Hey guys, maybe some of you can help me with a question I have.

Is there a conversion kit out there on the market for REVELL's 1/32 scale GRUMMAN F3F BI-PLANE FIGHTER for converting it from the kits F3F-3 version with the 950 HP Wright R-1820-22 Cyclone engine.....

F3F-3

f3f3profile0bn.jpg

to an earlier F3F-1 version with the smaller 700 HP Pratt & Whitney R-1535-84 Twin Wasp Jr. engine & cowling and different canopy.

F3F-1

f3f1profile0cu.jpg

Any help tracking this down would be much appreciated.

<S>! :whistle:

Edited by Jester00

Hi Jester,

Let me check when I get home form work tonight. If memory serves me correctly the Gulfhawk version of the kit includes the "lumpy" cowling, but I am not sure about the engine. I have both kits, I'll take a look and see what the differences are. I am assuming if it has the correct cowl it may have the correct engine. The canopy would be a fairly simple mod if you have a small vac-form machine. Build up the kit canopy with filler and fill the canopy with epoxy so the heat of the plastic doesn't melt it.

Cheers

Mike

Appreciate it Skyking!

Forgot all about the old GULFHAWK kit! (Homer Simpson DOH!) Wonder how hard they are to find now a days?

The info I have in front of me says the P&W on the F3F-1 was a 14 cylinder, two row (That sound right?) and the larger Cyclone on the F3F-3 was a 9 cylinder, single row if that helps you any. Don't have a clue what was on the civilian Gulfhawk.

BTY, Like your Signature Bar - - - FLY NAVY! B)

<S>!

Edited by Jester00

Jester I checked the cowl, and although it has the bumps, the shape isn't even close. The only thing I can think of that may be close would be the Revell Wildcat or Trumpeter Wildcat to donate the engine, but for a cowl you would have to make one from scratch. The shape of the Wildcat is kinda sorta there, so it could be a start, but the bumps would have to be added. It would make a neat conversion though.

Cheers

Mike

Not to be a nit picker, but, The wings on the 1/32 Monogram F3F-3 kit are 1 1/2 inches short in span. The first version of this kit was the Gulfhawk, which had F2F-1 wings, which were smaller. When Monogram retooled to make the Navy Fighter version, they did not change the wings. If you can get another kit of the F3F, cut out and insert a three wing rib length of a plug cut from the donor kit into each side of both top and bottom wings. Inboard of the ailerons.

Best of luck,

Hey KSL,

Thanks for the GREAT tip on the Vector Engines Cyclone! They even have a early and late model Cyclone that can be used one the BF2C & SBD-1 Dauntless as well - later conversions I am planning to do!

This is a KILLER tip - again thanks!

Hey Modelhound,

Thanks for the Tip on the short wings on Revell's model. Is this both TOP AND BOTTOM wings? Also, I wonder if the wing span is the same for the F3F-1 as it is for the F3F-3?

I will see if I can come up with another kit to do some "splicing" with. Had planned on getting some extra's just for the USMC decals included - the USMC emblem on the Superscale sheet I have is the wrong color.

Thanks for the help guys! :o

<S>!

Edited by Jester00