Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IXc Late

In lieu of being able to finish out painting on some projects on the bench (my airbrush is out for repair) I decided to dip into the stash to build Eduard’s new Spitfire.

edspit1_img_5048.jpg

This kit is really well detailed and there has been no shortage of documentation supporting that claim.

edspit1_img_5049.jpg

edspit1_img_5050.jpg

So rather than focus on details/accuracy, etc, I just want to share my build progress. Per my becoming-standard-practice I’ve used magnets for both the attachment of the stand as well as for the propeller. I placed the stand magnet right on the spot where the cockpit bulkhead is located so I had to cut out a little section for it to fit. No prob.

edspit1_img_5052.jpg

edspit1_img_5054.jpg

edspit1_img_5055.jpg

The propeller was neat this time because rather than gut out the base plate, there was room enough under the cap to fit a magnet. This also allowed for the axel pin to remain so that alignment won’t be affected by an off center magnet.

edspit1_img_5057.jpg

edspit1_img_5058.jpg

edspit1_img_5059.jpg

edspit1_img_5070.jpg

You’ll see I’m also using PJ Productions RAF pilot. :)

edspit1_img_5051.jpg

edspit1_img_5064.jpg

He sit’s nicely in the cockpit and his hand even rests on the control stick!!

edspit1_img_5072.jpg

edspit1_img_5073.jpg

PE seatbelts from the kit were easy enough to manipulate to wrap around the pilot, too.

edspit1_img_5068.jpg

The gunsight is a really nicely crafted detail as well.

edspit1_img_5135.jpg

I suppose you want to see the cockpit, too. :) I didn’t do much beyond OOB with it, but it did include the PE dash. I used Tamiya cockpit green and did a dry brushing of aluminum.

edspit1_img_5056.jpg

edspit1_img_5060.jpg

edspit1_img_5061.jpg

edspit1_img_5066.jpg

Fit-wise, there were some snags when trying to attach the wing sub-assembly to the main fuselage. The wing root joints were pretty tight so I had to shave a little bit to get them to fit without warping the wing angles too much. As for the wheels, I just used the back half of the tire to make sure there was room. All the other parts fit together really nicely, too. That’s my motto for this kit: really nice.

edspit1_img_5062.jpg

edspit1_img_5063.jpg

edspit1_img_5065.jpg

edspit1_img_5069.jpg

edspit1_img_5071.jpg

edspit1_img_5074.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wire from the mast to the tip of the rudder (not the fixed part of the vertical fin as you've attached it) was only found on Mk.I/II and early V's. All others had the VHF radio with the antenna inside the mast.

The wires from the tips of the horizontal stabs to the sides of the fuselage (always both sides if present) were the early IFF set. Replaced starting in ~mid-1943 with a newer type IFF set, which had a slim rod type antenna mounted underneath the right wing. No aircraft would have had both at the same time, but the same aircraft might have had both at some point in its career. You have to know what time period you're modeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Belly painted Royal Light Gray and then I masked the camo pattern to apply the slightly darker gray on the top. I decided this will be a hybrid Royal Australian Air Force bird, quite possibly a Grey Nurse squadron fighter with a white tail. I realize they flew MkVs and VIIIs (no IXs) but that’s why I’m calling it a hybrid…

edspit1_img_6858.jpg

edspit1_img_6859.jpg

edspit1_img_6859.jpg

edspit1_img_6923.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last rounds of masking!! I tried my hand at post shading with the green tones and I really like the effect…WAY more than pre-shading! However, I see the value in doing both. I think post shading is more necessary on darker colors whereas pre-shading might benefit lighter…Anyway, she’s really coming along. As I type this the clear coat in preparation for decals is drying. :)

edspit1_img_6994.jpg

edspit1_img_7119.jpg

edspit1_img_7124.jpg

edspit1_img_7125.jpg

edspit1_img_7126.jpg

edspit1_img_7127.jpg

edspit1_img_7128.jpg