Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

spad93

Members
  • Content Count

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About spad93

  • Rank
    Newbie
  • Birthday 02/18/1961

Contact Methods

  • AIM
    RSmith9372
  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
  • Interests
    Military avaition - especially Cold War or most things with a deck hook. Non aviation interests include motorsport, esp Endurance racing, sports cars, Le Mans etc - and some F1....
  1. very sharp and great execution - nice! From ealism point of view, love the blues on the topsides but tend to agree with trekracer20. Anyway, looks great and hope mine looks anywhere near as good! cheers Rick
  2. I'm really going for this Dayglo thing at the moment. I've had tins of Precision Fluorescent Red/Orange in the box for about 25 years, mainly because my experiences when I used it back then were not brilliant. It seemed hard work so I backed away. However I just finished the new Airfix Vampire which was a delight to build and I had an equally good experience with the old paints - sprayed beautifully tbh! What's that all about then! I guess a more measured approach to paint prep is one of the benefits of getting older! Anyway, I was hankering for a bit more bright orange so with the confidence in dayglo application suitably reinforced I broke out the beautiful new Airfix Gnat and set about scratching an itch I've had for many, many years. I shan't dwell too much on the kit as much has been said about the surface detail and so on. Suffice to say, it went together like a dream - needed a little fettling under the wing root L/E and you should expect a fair amount of work around the joins on the 3 piece slipper tanks - and the decals were superb. Recommend a white disc under the upper wing roundels as they straddle the orange/silver divide but the rest are just fine. Lots of stencils! Well over 100 decals if you use them all! Mine proved to be a marginal tail-sitter (nothing mentioned in the instructions) but that may have been due to me cutting the canopy open with the associated weight move to the rear. Couple of lead shots down the pilot's footwell sorted that. All OOB except the addition of some seat firing handles and some straps from lead foil - seats by the way are OK but I do feel the head-box is undersized. For the silver I used Xtracolour Aluminium which, in retrospect, I think might be a little dark for high speed silver. Enough waffle, here she is - looks like a Gnat to me which pleases me immensely. Hope you like her, comments and criticism welcomed in equal measure. My apologies again for the poor photos - still not got my tri-pod back. And here it is with it's older cousin - bit of a throw away shot to emphasis how small the Gnat is! Will I build another? You bet! I already have a second in the stash and designs on another - 'nuff said! Now, where's that Hobbyboss H-34 for an all-over dayglo finish...getting brave now...! Cheers all - ATB! Rick
  3. Blimey! Liking that! Can it really take-off with that lot underneath!?! Great paint work there! cheers Rick
  4. Hello all Been a lurker on here for a while so I thought I would share with you my experiences of the new Airfix Vampire. First, it is a good kit with some lovely detail and panel lines that although seem a little deep actually look fine under a little paint - I hope you can see what I mean. I built it pretty much OOB except for adding some seat harnesses from lead foil, seat top ejection pull handles and a few antennae around the place. After finishing it I saw some pics of the Duxford machine on which my chosen scheme seems to be based and found I had the wrong configuration of pull-handle so don't go copying me! Construction wise it's a little smasher with almost self jigging boom alignment - be sure to follow the assembly sequence though otherwise you'll never get the booms into the wing. I chose (in my infinite wisdom!) to leave the main gear legs off until after painting then found out why Airfix suggest fitting them when they do! In the end it was all recovered by a little careful trimming of the locating blocks at the top of the legs - no harm done! Airfix mould a number of protuberances onto one half of an assembly which presents challenges to not knock them off during the rest of the process. I managed to keep them all there until part way through the decalling when I managed to remove the fin mounted pitot. I replaced it with a small section of stainless tube. In retrospect I should have just removed it at the off and planned-in to replace it anyway - it would probably have been neater but I like a challenge! I painted it with Alclad Aluminium and Precision Paints Fluorescent Red-Orange and, yes, it fluoresces incredibly in natural light! Decals are fine with stencils aplenty and all behaved well with a little Sol though a white disc under at least the top-sides roundel is needed as the silver/orange contrast is just a little too much for the decals. I would love to build another and when I find a scheme that does it for me I'll have another on the bench! Anyway, enough waffle, here she is, I hope you like her! Sorry about the picture quality but I seem to have mislaid my tripod in the move so these are hand-held so no depth of field. Comments and critique very welcome - this is my 1st post here but don't let that hold you back! :) Cheers all Rick
×
×
  • Create New...