Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'h-60'.
Found 3 results
alright guys, I'm an engineer at Sikorsky and wanted a few accurate models for my desk....more specifically, a UH-60 and a CH-53E because those are the two aircraft I've spent most of my career on (really the UH-60M and CH-53K but I'm looking for closest variants). The selection of pre-built models is pretty crappy (wood, plastic, etc) and so is the accuracy so I decided to build some. So I wanted to build an H-60 and a 53e. I picked up a 1/72 italeri UH-60 Night Raid at my local hobby store and that was the first adventure. I then took to these forums to find a 1/72 Italeri CH-53E Super Stallion Kit, 1/72 Italeri CH-53J Pave Low kit, and a 1/48 Academy CH-53E kit (thanks guys!!!). My overall plan was this.... use the Black Hawk as the first model/guinea pig, then complete the other two 1/72 53 kits. I thought it would be really cool to have these in the same scale for my desk at work. From there, I would finally build the 1/48 CH-53EAcademy kit when I've had the most experience; I will also likely then pickup a 1/48 H-60 sea hawk kit to accompany the 53E in my home office. A couple of disclaimers before I get into this... I hadn't built a model since I was a kid so this was a learning experience. As of now, I'm not too worried with aging or weathering the paint. This is due to two main reasons... I deal spanky new aircraft as they leave our factory so it's more applicable to me and secondly it's just easier. As I said, these are my first serious models so maybe I'll try that on one of them eventually. Finally, all of the 1/72 kits will be painted with brushes and I will probably invest in an airbrush setup for the 1/48 kits. I'm mostly done with the 1/72 UH-60 now besides finishing the blades and some other paint touchup. I didn't take a ton of pictures but will on the next model. Seeing how this was the first, it was a huge learning experience for me and the second model is already coming along much faster, easier, and cleaner. I made some basic rookie mistakes on the Black Hawk such as glue on the clear plastic, some excess glue on seams, etc. Interior done and airframe halves test-fitted... Rotor head and exhaust ducts painted... Airframe joined and first coat of helo olive drab... to be followed by sanding and more paint... Here she is mostly done besides some paint touch up and remaining decals, the chin windows also need to be re-cleared after sanding glue off (waiting for future to arrive)... Now time to do the big brother...