C-H QuietAir Compressor down

Well, everyone....yesterday when I did some airbrushing, I heard a few chugging noises from the motor in my air compressor. Today I checked the plug and the fuse was reset. I could get other items to work from that plug but not my compressor. So I took the compressor indoors and tried another plug to test it, the motor will not turn on at all.

I've had the thing for 4 1/2 years....is it time to look for another compressor? Can these things be fixed economically, and if so, what would be the best place to take it?

Justin

Justin,

I have a C-H Quietair compressor as well. It’s the guy with the 2 gallon tank. I have had it for about 2 years and the other day I was using it and it had the “chugging†noise. The tank filled to 100psi, and then when it dropped below 75 psi, it would not turn back on. I was confused, and checked the plug/circuit breaker etc.

I drained the tank of all the air, and it started back up. I figured it must be the pressure switch. Later, the compressor would not turn back on at all. Now, I took off the cowling/cover. I took the motor apart and saw no problems.

I noticed the pressure switch (it’s a small black thing inline with a hose to the tank or from the motor. Not fully sure). I was able to tap on it with a hammer lightly and the compressor started back up. I think it’s a faulty/sticky pressure switch. Basically now, I have to tap on the switch to get the compressor to fill at all. The tapping seems to loosen it so it tells the motor the tank is less than 75psi. The compressor still shuts off at 100, and fills back up when it goes below 75psi. Seems to work for the rest of the session, but say the next day, it’s “stuck†again.

It’s sort of a pain. I’m just starting to look for a new one, but this keeps it working when I need to paint until I get a new one. It might work for you, it’s worth a try. Good luck.

Dave

:worship: