No, they are different. The Super Hornet tanks hold more fuel than the Legacy ones. See this thread.

Aaron

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/ind...=strikeeagle801

I think it is the second page where I asked that question. Here is the reply I got

There is a big difference between the tanks, the legacy Hornets use, if I recall correctly 330 gal tanks where the Supers use 480 gal tanks. No difference between wing and centerline tanks, they are interchangable.

Edited by strikeeagle801
Physically, yes. Operationally, no. The 480 tanks don't take up much more space than the 330 tanks, so it wouldn't really matter.

Dave

To take it a step further, the FPU-8 will physically fit on the Super Hornet as Dave said, but beyond the first few flights of the development program were not flown on the SH. The FPU-8 is not an authorized store to put on the jet at this point and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Super Hornets use the FPU-11 or 12 480 gallon tanks, and ONLY the 480 gallon tanks (except for the buddy store that can go on the centerline). The FPU-11 and 12 are pretty much identical from a modeler's perspective, the main difference is who supplies the tanks.