Considering that the board has slowed down and, as Jay said earlier, all the cool Luftwaffe guys are hanging out here, I have a question.

How many “Tulip Nosed†109s do we know about currently? Here is a listing of what I’ve found so far.

1) Graff’s red tulip G-6

2) Hartman’s black tulip G-6, G-14 and G-10

3) The JG-52 red tulip K-4 from the JaPo 109K book

4) The JG-52 black tulip G-10 (K-4?) with the segmented spinner from the JaPo Czech Territories book

5) The JG-52 red(black?) tulip black(red?) 2 G-6 (G-14?) from the Classic Publications book.

That gives us at least seven tulip nosed 109s. Anyone want to add information about any of these or add to the list?

Cheers

Dave

Coolest...aircraft...markings...ever!

I don't have any more to add, but wow, those -109's are great looking.

Could you guys elaborate on the black tulip G-10/G-14 with the segmented spinner? That doesn't sound familiar to me.

So, how many of those have you guys built? I only have the red tulip K-4 (48th Hase) built. An early effort, but still one of my favorites. I also have Graf's G-6 decals waiting for the big Hase kit.

Cheers,

Shawn

Coolest...aircraft...markings...ever!

I don't have any more to add, but wow, those -109's are great looking.

Could you guys elaborate on the black tulip G-10/G-14 with the segmented spinner? That doesn't sound familiar to me.

So, how many of those have you guys built? I only have the red tulip K-4 (48th Hase) built. An early effort, but still one of my favorites. I also have Graf's G-6 decals waiting for the big Hase kit.

Cheers,

Shawn

Shawn,

The JaPo book, “Luftwaffe Over Czech Territory 1945†has a photo of the G-10 on page 87. There are a couple of other photos of this airplane floating around. All are from the front or front quarter. The tulip is in the same style that Hartman used.

The spinner seems to have originally been black with a white spiral. At a point in time the front half of the spinner was repainted in a light color (white?). Sometime after that, the white part of the spinner was repainted to the 1/3 segment scheme by over painting part of the white area. The airplane seems to have been flown before the paint dried as most of the dark over paint has been spun off allowing the white to show through.

For a really colorful scheme, the Classic Colours “Jagdwaffe War In the East 1944-1945†has two photos of black 2 on page 151. The 109 may be a G-6 or G14, has the erla canopy and no radio mast. The author interprets the photos as a red edged in white design similar to the K-4 in the JaPo books. What the author does not touch on is that the spinner and nose panel over the oil tank are painted a lighter color with the tulips starting back from the oil tank cover. More or less like the white G-14 that was done for Hartman. I’m wondering if the lighter color might be the yellow nose marking used in Luftflotte 4. There is also a chance that the tactical number 2 is red and the tulip marking is black edged in white.

Just for some added interest, the new Kagero “Bf 109 G/K Vol. III†that arrived just before Christmas has a nice in-flight shot of Hartman’s airplane that I have not seen before. The book also shows yellow 25 a G-14 from KG(J) 55. This airplane has the cowl gun bulges seen on G-6s and G-14s and also has the cheek bulges under the nose seen on the G-10/K-4 refined cowling. Interesting parts combination. The plane also sports KG-55’s badge on the nose, a brown (?) fuselage band, over painted white numbers and the fuselage interpreted to be in the sky blue-green seen on D-9s. Overall one of the more colorful 109s out there.

As far as what's built, the G from the Classic Colours book should get painted this coming weekend. Behind that one is the KG(J) 55 bird.

Cheers,

Dave