F-4J cockpit varations?

I have two Blackbox cockpit set for a F-4J. One set is the "older" F-4J ONLY set and the other is the "newer" F-4J/FGR.2 combination set. The Combo set includes parts unique to the F-4J however when comparing the new vs old "J" parts, the detailing is different.

Does anyone know why this is, are there variations in F-4J instrumentation, switches, wires..etc.?

I don't know that much about the F-4, I hope someone who is familar with the Phantom might help?

Thanks

Edited by j-fever
I have two Blackbox cockpit set for a F-4J. One set is the "older" F-4J ONLY set and the other is the "newer" F-4J/FGR.2 combination set. The Combo set includes parts unique to the F-4J however when comparing the new vs old "J" parts, the detailing is different.

Does anyone know why this is, are there variations in F-4J instrumentation, switches, wires..etc.?

I don't know that much about the F-4, I hope someone who is familar with the Phantom might help?

Thanks

Probably the reason for the difference is a different set of masters for each set. I believe the details in the F-4J/FGR2 set are more accurate in detail. I'm not 100% sure. I do know that the newer combo set is easier to fit into the fuselage, since you get a resin plug that is glued to the front of the tub. This literally drops the cockpit set on top of the nose wheel well, as opposed to having to guess the horizontal alignment in the older set.

I haven't seen the set in question, but the F4 J cockpit, particularly in the rear section, was quite different from the FGR2. The main difference was that the right side of the RIO's position in the 'J' lacked a side console - circuit breakers only. Whereas the FGR2 was similar to the F4 C/D cockpits ie. with a side console containing various switches and dials.

A good reference is Verlinden's Lock - On book, 'British Phantoms' - A good comparison can be made between the cockpit shots of both the FGR2 and the F4 J (UK).

Andrew

Probably the reason for the difference is a different set of masters for each set. I believe the details in the F-4J/FGR2 set are more accurate in detail. I'm not 100% sure. I do know that the newer combo set is easier to fit into the fuselage, since you get a resin plug that is glued to the front of the tub. This literally drops the cockpit set on top of the nose wheel well, as opposed to having to guess the horizontal alignment in the older set.

Thankyou smithery, for your advice, plus the fit comments really help me out as I did read that the BB cockpit can be difficult to install.

Thankyou everyone for all the helpful adivce

Cheers!

Edited by j-fever