1:24 OOB Stuka pics

Greetings to all

Here are some pictures of my just completed (?) Airfix 1:24 Ju87 Stuka, N. Africa 1941. Despite its age and flaws this model was a joy to research and build. No aftermarket parts, just out of the box with minor scratch build details. I am currently looking for ways to keep the cowl and panels removable while they fit snuggly in place. I have some ideas but if anyone has tackled something similar in the past I am open to suggestions.

cockpit1fa3.th.jpg

inflight1to0.th.jpg

undersideke3.th.jpg

stuka1bx2.th.jpg

Airfix were really ahead of the game back in the 70's. I really thought that they were going to enter a new era when they released the 1/48 Lightning and Spits. Recapturing the glory days. Sadly that was not to be.

But back to your kit (as he wipes a tear away). That is some really nice work. When you do come up with a solution to the panel fitment problems, let us know what it is. As I have the same poblem with my 1/24 Airfix Hurri.

OK, here is my “solutionâ€. Beware though, you try this at the risk of wrapping – deforming your model. I will not be responsible for any damage you may do by following this procedure. See the before picture bellow.

i426662_before.jpg

I placed the panels in place and forced them to stay there with cable ties. I thought of using either the hot water technique or a hair dryer. I opted for the hair drier for more control.

i426671_ties.jpg

I set the hair drier on hot – low speed and worked around the area I wanted to conform to the contours of the body. I figured the plastic will soften somewhat, remain in place and when cooled will stay there without the cable ties.

correctedat7.jpg

Well for a first attempt it worked to my satisfaction. It created some problems with thin, protruding, areas on the panels but overall nothing I couldn’t fix with a little more work, putty and sand paper. You guys be the judges.

flawsro4.jpg

Panel fitting update.

Thank you Richard. The Stuka is an impressive plane, isn’t it?

This is the second time I build a Ju87. The first was a Heller Hi-Tech kit in 1:48, about ten years ago, modeled in the scheme used for the battle of Crete. Actually these planes were used to wipe off my dad’s village in Crete during WWII! As soon as I am done with my current projects I will get another one, a “tankbuster†this time.

I am all done with my panel repairs and here are the results. I am sure it could be done better. The panels fit and stay in place without any help, although I am thinking of using double faced adhesive tape to secure them in place for the long run. The top right side, as seen from the tail, has a wider gap but hey, this was done for fun not to win awards.

Still, if anyone has found a solution, other than to glue the panels shut, please let us know.

i448394_panelsLb.jpg

i448381_panelsLa.jpg

i448379_panelsRc.jpg

i448377_panelsRb.jpg

i448262_panelsRa.jpg