1/32 Revell outer wings onto a Tamiya F-4.....

Hello all,

Has anyone tried to fit the outer, slatted wing sections from a Revell F-4E/F onto a Tamiya F-4E? I'm sure I've read up on it in the past but can't find a reference. I have the Tamiya kit on order and the wings from a Revell kit. Why not join the two? I also have the cutting edge slatted wing conversion but again, I'm sure I've read the panel lines are incorrect. Any ideas?

Regards to all,

Anthony

Howzit newsh1,

A long time ago I remember sizing Revell's outer wing to Tamiya's inner. I didn't actually go with the slight conversion but believe they did more or less fit (Think one was slightly thicker than the other or the chords were a little off), if memory serves it looked like it was workable. I ended up going with the Cutting Edge set because it was a complete conversion (I'm a lazy model builder). One thing to point out about the CE conversion... It's designed with the slats extended. When parked the slats are normally retracted (with flaps up), occasionally they'd be extended for maintenance but I believe that's more of an exception & not the rule. Extended slats are normally seen during taxi to take off, take off, & landing with the trailing edge flaps down (of course in flight during maneuvers with flaps up…not 100% sure on that one). I ended up modifying CE's set to retract the slats for a parked jet (easy fix); in the future I'll simply scribe the slat detail onto Tamiya's hard-wing and add the slat actuators to make it "soft"... I'll use CE's outer wings as fragged :cheers:

HTH a little & good luck with that big Rhino!!! :cheers:

Mark

I'm planning to do the slats on my next Tamiya F-4E the same way Paul Stoner did on his F-4G, but will use Revell parts:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/J...ildWeasel1.html

Look about 3/4 the way down the page. The CE outer panels don't fit very well at all. If I were to use them again, I'd also use Paul's method. If you use the CE slats as they were intended, you'll also have to lower the flaps. I think whoever did the masterf for the conversion made the common mistake of thinking the drooped ailerons were the flaps.

Ben